• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, what is the point of the DP-28?

There is one possible advantage that the dp-28 could have.

Many people have been clamoring for the mg-34 to have a hip-fire stance. You right click while standing, then you assume an assault stance in which you are able to fire your mg from the hip but walk at a snail's pace. This would be similar to real life.

The russian dp-28 on the other hand does not need an assault stance to fire from. Russian troops really did fire the dp-28 from the hip while on the move occasionally as a suppressive maneuver.

This could serve as one minor reason to choose the dp-28.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Currently as Mekhazzio kindly pointed out, there's very little difference between them.

Personally, I feel the DP should be quicker (or the MG34 take longer) to get into a deployed position to differentiate between them, or even the DP starting off with an extra magazine would be nice.

Something more practical to set them apart in game terms.

Upvote 0
It's rather personal preference than anything else.

I find DP-28 more ergonomic (you don't need to check for ammo which can be important sometimes, you've clear view and it's really hard to overheat the weapon) for the cost of precision (I usually need more shoots to hit) and alternative fire mode (no single fire), forcing you to fire with bursts, making fire even less precise. Good thing is that I can set iron sights whatever I like. It can be useful, depending on the area I have to cover.

MG 34's range bar can obstruct your view and barrel can overheat somewhat easier, forcing you to change barrel. In exchange you have bigger precision when shooting and single fire mode, allowing you to control your fire better if you need more precision and less bullets. You have to get used to shoot with fixed 200 meters (and up) iron sights though.

Upvote 0
i'm a dp fanboy, i just love the gun (ever since i first laid my virtual hands on it in vietcong). the mg34 may have lots of advantages, but the dp just looks more rugged and does perform pretty well. i tend to waste more ammo with the mg34, with the dp28 i am more efficient.
as many said before, it's a personal preference thing, maybe even borderline hipsterish ;)

Upvote 0
Can you also see how these values vary between Realism and Classic, and by level?
There are no individual weapon differences between realism and classic, just a global modifier to sway (+25%) and zoom-in time (+33%) and the ironsight lockout in sprint. The only level bonus that changes between weapons is reload time multiplier, but the MG-34 and DP-28 have the same array for that.

Upvote 0
There are no individual weapon differences between realism and classic, just a global modifier to sway (+25%) and zoom-in time (+33%) and the ironsight lockout in sprint. The only level bonus that changes between weapons is reload time multiplier, but the MG-34 and DP-28 have the same array for that.

I see...Also, does that mean that Classic = level 0 Realism regarding weapon recoil / reload / etc?

Upvote 0
To kill people with.

You are aware that Red Orchestra's focus is to be a realistic, Historical, tactical Shooter right?
^ this

The russian MG was inferior to the german one, this is not a game where things get balanced trough weapons or soldiers physics, but trough map size, map layout and lead in reinforcement from the get go.

Upvote 0