• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMGs too powerfull at range?

realism aside, I think they are a bit too powerfull.

Not necessarily damagewise.

On all three maps the SMG seems like a better choice. It has less accuracy than rifles, but not much at about any range. And any chance in accuracy is compensated by a fast rate of fire.

The rifle has some advantages, but the situation in which those are present are rare. Mostly the smg does the job just as well, or better,. With the added bonus of being unstoppable in close quarters.

Realism aside!? You cannot put the primary focus of the game aside.

-Paas

Upvote 0
Realism aside!? You cannot put the primary focus of the game aside.

-Paas

The primary focus of this game is not realism.

- Wounds bleed out in 4 seconds UNLESS a bandage is applied in 2 seconds, in which case all is dandy.
- radars
- Squad leader Spawning

I mean, do you really want to go on and debate that the game is focused on realism?

TWI has inserted quite a few 'gamey' things to appeal to a wider audience. I respect that, but at least give the fans of the original the option to simulate, or approach the original game a bit more?

Upvote 0
No. Dont change it.

You guys need to realize apartments will be the SMALLEST MAP IN THE GAME! Danzig was always an SMG funhouse.

Fallen Fighters is also pretty small compared to other RO1 maps and I dont think this will be different in RO2.

Even if they're the god weapons you're all saying they are only a fraction of a team gets them.

Evening out the weapons would be a disaster for the gameplay and just turn it into your average run of the mill shooter borefest clone.

Upvote 0

- Wounds bleed out in 4 seconds UNLESS a bandage is applied in 2 seconds, in which case all is dandy.
- radars
- Squad leader Spawning

I mean, do you really want to go on and debate that the game is focused on realism?

TWI has inserted quite a few 'gamey' things to appeal to a wider audience. I respect that, but at least give the fans of the original the option to simulate, or approach the original game a bit more?
TWI has always maintained they wanted to have as realistic gunplay as possible. Especially for RO2. If you can do it in real lilfe then you can do it in the game has been pretty much their motto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SMG's are great and not overpowered.Most ppl play semi-automatic rifles on FF even on apartmens which shows they are not op.They fit in perfectly, the new gameplay is just brilliant.

All those slower, more spread, i play RO1 since 1945 people are stuck in the past :p

PPSH(standing) and MG s could use a steadier recoil instead of the abrupt kicking in after the 4th shot.

Upvote 0
I can definitely beleive a kill is possible at distance in real life with a SMG, but the grouping of shots would be way off. It's a short barrelled automatic weapon. I'm sure it would be less accurate than what it is now. Perhaps just reduce its effectiveness at supression at distance. Then maybe it would be a more equal fight between rifleman and smg'er at distance.

Most kills for people are within 50 meters.

Grouping 2-3 shot burst with a short barreled 9mm firearm at 50 meters, is VERY believable.

Upvote 0
The MP 40 was actully more accurate than many SMG's, which compensates for the lower rate of fire, while the PPhs pretty much spits a lot faster and is supposed to be less accurate.

However I got too many experinces where I get smacked by the PPhs at medium to long range, which I think is either lucky shot, or its too accurate. When I used it myself, i couldn't control it xD

Upvote 0
The MP 40 was actully more accurate than many SMG's, which compensates for the lower rate of fire, while the PPhs pretty much spits a lot faster and is supposed to be less accurate.

However I got too many experinces where I get smacked by the PPhs at medium to long range, which I think is either lucky shot, or its too accurate. When I used it myself, i couldn't control it xD

Unless someone is hitting you from almost the German spawn to Russian spawn in Fallen Fighters it's not "long range".

I really think people's ideas of SMG range has been muddled by more mainstream shooters that "balanced" guns by making them weaker than they are in reality.

I remember in DOD:S someone could survive a shot from a garand to the chest. Lol. They only had like 10% health left, but this was the dev "Solution" to balancing the garand vs. the Kar. Please don't bring that into RO2...

Upvote 0
Unless someone is hitting you from almost the German spawn to Russian spawn in Fallen Fighters it's not "long range".

I really think people's ideas of SMG range has been muddled by more mainstream shooters that "balanced" guns by making them weaker than they are in reality.

I remember in DOD:S someone could survive a shot from a garand to the chest. Lol. They only had like 10% health left, but this was the dev "Solution" to balancing the garand vs. the Kar. Please don't bring that into RO2...

Sorry let me correct, i ment medium-long range. And Ive played WW2 Online since 08, and it is an extreme simulation game, and my experince from there, that the MP40 was more accurate, but still.

Upvote 0
Sorry let me correct, i ment medium-long range. And Ive played WW2 Online since 08, and it is an extreme simulation game, and my experince from there, that the MP40 was more accurate, but still.
CRS (WW2OL devs) are notorious for pulling "facts" out of their asses (M4A2 Sherman 140mm thick turret mantlet, new D520 data that made it super fighter, they refuse to share their sources etc) but yeah, they try to pretent hardcore simulator.

Upvote 0

- radars
- Squad leader Spawning

No, I'm not going to debate anything with you because you're blatantly wrong. There is nothing to debate. What I am going to tell you is you're nit picking. Certain things cannot be simulated short of a VR machine. TripWire cannot magically produce squad cohesion and the hundreds of days of training that go into building that cohesion. What they can do is give you the same situational awareness a unit would have from basic communication and intelligence chains. Can clans and organized units tackle that learning curve? Sure! That's why you can turn the radar off if you so choose on your server.

But you're taking me off topic. You're asking for unrealistic things hiding behind the flawed logical that the original game was realistic. You have been told otherwise by people with life experience in weapons handling (myself, and a few others) as well as the developers/coders/friggin' president of the company that admits their initial mistakes in being over ambitious with the idea of realism, thus making the game unrealistic. Yet you still won't accept the reality of it all?

The weapons handling is fine. No one has anything to go on regarding how the current in game presentation will affect marksmanship at extended ranges. Yet, this onslaught of unrealistic changes are being requested on the daily. All backed by the notion that the first games unrealistic flaws, as stated by the creators, are not flaws and are indeed how things are.

But since I think you're blatantly wrong, and the facts won't convince you otherwise. I will just agree to disagree for now. I will not stop pointing out the flaws in this entire movements logic though. I don't know want to see your changes made as I think the RO franchise has grown for the better and his moved closer to Tripwire's overall goal. As well as providing what I payed for in the first game, a realistic representation of war in that time based on facts, knowledge/research, and experience.

-Paas

Upvote 0
No, I'm not going to debate anything with you because you're blatantly wrong. There is nothing to debate. What I am going to tell you is you're nit picking. Certain things cannot be simulated short of a VR machine. TripWire cannot magically produce squad cohesion and the hundreds of days of training that go into building that cohesion. What they can do is give you the same situational awareness a unit would have from basic communication and intelligence chains. Can clans and organized units tackle that learning curve? Sure! That's why you can turn the radar off if you so choose on your server.

But you're taking me off topic. You're asking for unrealistic things hiding behind the flawed logical that the original game was realistic. You have been told otherwise by people with life experience in weapons handling (myself, and a few others) as well as the developers/coders/friggin' president of the company that admits their initial mistakes in being over ambitious with the idea of realism, thus making the game unrealistic. Yet you still won't accept the reality of it all?

The weapons handling is fine. No one has anything to go on regarding how the current in game presentation will affect marksmanship at extended ranges. Yet, this onslaught of unrealistic changes are being requested on the daily. All backed by the notion that the first games unrealistic flaws, as stated by the creators, are not flaws and are indeed how things are.

But since I think you're blatantly wrong, and the facts won't convince you otherwise. I will just agree to disagree for now. I will not stop pointing out the flaws in this entire movements logic though. I don't know want to see your changes made as I think the RO franchise has grown for the better and his moved closer to Tripwire's overall goal. As well as providing what I payed for in the first game, a realistic representation of war in that time based on facts, knowledge/research, and experience.

-Paas

That's a long read, but what you're saying in a nutshell is, that you think the mechanics are fine, and that I'm nitpicking.

I'm not nitpicking at all. I just like the option to have more sway when exhausted.

I don't see how this option would change your experience, when you just filter it out of you don't like it.

You may think RO2 is a step forward in every way, and I respect that, but don't set your own preferences as a standard for everyone else.

I think RO2 is an improvement in most areas as well, but I would just like to play on servers where stamina has more impact, because I enjoyed it in RO1.

I don't see why you have such a big issue with people lobbying for stuff like this.

Problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Papa machine gun

Papa machine gun

The German and Russian SMGs both have their real purposes in the game. The Germans would take short bursts at the enemy giving them an advantage at longer ranges, while the Russians would fire continuously; hence why the drum magazine was standard for the PPSH. Also, the PPSH has a much, much higher rate of fire, making it hard to control.

Upvote 0
That's a long read, but what you're saying in a nutshell is, that you think the mechanics are fine, and that I'm nitpicking.

I'm not nitpicking at all. I just like the option to have more sway when exhausted.

I don't see how this option would change your experience, when you just filter it out of you don't like it.

You may think RO2 is a step forward in every way, and I respect that, but don't set your own preferences as a standard for everyone else.

I think RO2 is an improvement in most areas as well, but I would just like to play on servers where stamina has more impact, because I enjoyed it in RO1.

I don't see why you have such a big issue with people lobbying for stuff like this.

Problem?

In my eyes, yes. While I am all for options, I really don't want the developers to acknowledge the comedy that was the original RO as anything other than that. It was gamey, not an accurate representation of anything (pixel sniping at 200m!? REALLY!?), and I don't want to see the community lean in that direction in the slightest.

Do I think you're entitled to request that RO1 feel? Of course! Your opinions are your own. It does feel like you constantly cross that line of "I want the RO1 feel cause I liked it more!/I want the RO1 feel because it's more realistic!" though, and that's what I aim to refute at any given chance. Half of the reason those opinion is prevalent is because Tripwire went so long (years) without acknowledging the truth. While simulation minded gamers with life experience on the subject matter of war simply uninstalled and prayed for a epiphany patch. RO2 is that, and I will do what I can to keep it that way.

-Paas

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my eyes, yes. While I am all for options, I really don't want the developers to acknowledge the comedy that was the original RO as anything other than that. It was gamey, not an accurate representation of anything (pixel sniping at 200m!? REALLY!?), and I don't want to see the community lean in that direction in the slightest.

This is getting dragged it all out of context again.

I did not say I want RO2 to be RO1, I simply would like to simulate certain parts of it.

You keep hammering on RO1 (which by now I regret I ever mentioned), while I just meant to say that it would be to have sway adjustable. The thread title is 'sway' after all. Not once did I mention I want pixelhunting.

But anyway, as you say, we both can only do what we can, and hope that what we like, is in the game.

Upvote 0
This is silly. I've topped the scoreboard too many times, even apartments (most kills too) with rifle. I am definitely favoring it over the semi because it is almost guaranteed 1 shot kill (or bleed out) where as the semi usually takes 1-2 hits depending. The rate of fire is actually not too shabby. Either people are not taking advantage of the fact that rifles are kickass at penetrating walls, or not able to aim. Cover vs cover fights at medium range vs rifle is SCARY. On fallen fighters if you shoot someone in the head at 50 mm, that is perfectly acceptable, you just shot the guy in the head. Rifles however can hit more then your head due to penetration. The bleed out mechanics further help you out, can't tell you how many times a smg just couldn't kill me quickly enough before I got a shot off on him.

Throw in the bayonet and the rifleman should be more than capable enough to handle himself vs smg'ers. That is until the PPSH gets the drum, that thing is just plain scary O.O.

Upvote 0