• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMGs too powerfull at range?

Is it me, or are SMGs are little too accurate at medium to long ranges? I've been having my *** handed to me time and time again by players with SMGs over long distances. I'm not sure this is an accurate portrayal of the SMG, but I could be wrong. It seems to be a perfect weapon for all situations at the moment.

I do feel that SMGs in RO2 "seem" to be deadly at longer ranges but I like it this way.

Unlike other FPS games out there *cough* Call of Duty.

SMGs have a max effective range of more than 10m. Like in RO2, the grouping of your shots are quicker to open up requiring controlled bursts to land any hits at a decent range.

But in your standard shooter they may just make the rounds do less damage at further distances to compensate.

Upvote 0
Well thats the thing, on TE-Apartments theres loads of SMGs. Yes, its a close-quarters map but there are some situations, especially over the Potrova Park area where, even if you hunker down in the window and look toward the other side where the axis spawn is, you will still get SMG sniped from that distance. I just feel its a bit unrealistic. If the accuracy is the same, at least reduce the supression over distance so I can get a shot off.

Upvote 0
I do feel that SMGs in RO2 "seem" to be deadly at longer ranges but I like it this way.

Unlike other FPS games out there *cough* Call of Duty.

SMGs have a max effective range of more than 10m. Like in RO2, the grouping of your shots are quicker to open up requiring controlled bursts to land any hits at a decent range.

But in your standard shooter they may just make the rounds do less damage at further distances to compensate.

I can definitely beleive a kill is possible at distance in real life with a SMG, but the grouping of shots would be way off. It's a short barrelled automatic weapon. I'm sure it would be less accurate than what it is now. Perhaps just reduce its effectiveness at supression at distance. Then maybe it would be a more equal fight between rifleman and smg'er at distance.

Upvote 0
In real life firearms dont have damage ratings.

If the bullet can hit you, its going to kill you most likely if it hits you in the right place.

Even the the longer ranges people are getting killed at are still fairly short <100 meters, which is meant to be the effective range, but that does not mean it can't kill someone further away, its just not as effective.

The furthest range people appear to have killed people in game at the moment with rifles is not much more than 200m, yet in real life you could double that. Even with this "unrealistic" zoom people are going on about that would be extremely difficult, if possible in this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bullets lose quite a bit of power at 100-150 meters, although still enough to wound a human.

I think the SMGs are mostly fine, you can still score kills at 50-60 meters easily, which I find well justified.

Reminds me of a rifle stage in one shooting competition where I was in, one guy was using an MP5 for the stage and you had to shoot down metal plates at 100m. The plates were naturally built to not break from rifle calibers, so they were relatively heavy. Every shot he fired, it made a nice "BLING" sound, but it took him like 5-6 shots before he could actually make the plate collapse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think SMGs are fine as they are, they definitely have inaccuracy even with singleshots at 50 metres or more, noticable verses that rifleman behind a wall shooting and then killing you whilst your 20 bullets miss him!

I think they're balanced, people can get you just as easily with a rifle, if not easier at long ranges. I believe weapons in this game are a matter of preference.

Upvote 0
The SMG's are fine. As an Ex Paratrooper i can tell you they are nicley balenced as they are. I hate to see Tripwire sacrafice Realism for Whining CoD kidies.

Be honest best way not to get shot is using cover. If you get hit over large distances it might have to do with that. Or maybe... and i'm only throwing this in because most probably don't know this they are stray Bullets comming your direction. Lot of Soldier got killed by those without even knowing from where they were headed.

Upvote 0
realism aside, I think they are a bit too powerfull.

Not necessarily damagewise.

On all three maps the SMG seems like a better choice. It has less accuracy than rifles, but not much at about any range. And any chance in accuracy is compensated by a fast rate of fire.

The rifle has some advantages, but the situation in which those are present are rare. Mostly the smg does the job just as well, or better,. With the added bonus of being unstoppable in close quarters.

Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
Well, I've fired bursts at enemies on Apartments from the building near the end of the bridges down the entire length of that road to the other end, and can barely keep the groups within each doorway.

If you fire intelligently and squeeze off one or two rounds per pull of the trigger you can hit at that distance (which seems like 70-80 yards) but it's tough to keep doing it as well as a rifle could.

Upvote 0