• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small ideas for bolt action rifles.

And picked up weapons must be less accurate as they did drop on the ground. The drop could have caused damaged barrels and sights.
Now the devs need to build in different accuracy for rifles which are picked up. As accuracy on picked up weapons depends on which surface they landed when they dropped on the ground. As the difference in concrete and grassland is significant. Next they have to keep in mind, did the weapon dropped from a proned, crouched or standing player. Or even worse from a player killed on a stair. The higher the weapon felt the less accurate it needs to be.

Lots of work to be done.

Your sarcasm tastes pretty bitter. You just really hate these kind of discussions, don

Upvote 0
Wait a tanking minute. Their best tank they get in RO2 (so far) is a T34/76. If the in game armor is realistically correct then the Panzer IV F2 outclasses it in armament, firepower, and frontal protection. In other words the IVF2 will be able to penetrate the 45 mm T34/76 glacis at a longer range than a T34/76 against the 50 mm front of a IVF2.

Excuse me?

That's not even remotely true. The angle of the T-34 glacis made the effective thickness of the plate superior even to the PIV G with its 80mm plate.

45mm at 60 degrees from the horizontal + basic trig = 90mm horizontal traverse through the angled plate.

Taking into account overmatch with the 75mm shell, the plate is still superior to the 50mm of the PIV F2.

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
45mm at 60 degrees from the horizontal + basic trig = 90mm horizontal traverse through the angled plate.

Tank! is right about the firepower diffrence more or less as even with the 'superior' plate high velocity 75mm german guns basically could penetrate T-34 front armour as far as around 2km distance. Actual thickness and behaviour of the plate doesn't always match with LoS thickness on practical terms with old fashion AP physics, Jugoslavian 1960s tank tests were pretty interesting on that regard.

Of course I wouldn't count on the odds to be able to consistently hit anything at such range.

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
Silly me.
And here I thought T34's and T34/85's were tanks. :rolleyes:
Now I'll have to search the internets to find some to add to my bolt action rifle collection.

Oh no, duck, the forum police are here.

From WW2 Ballistics - armour and gunnery, by Livingston and Bird

So, based on that, I say the "2km" penetration figures are bogus. Keep in mind, we're talking about an L/43, here..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it just me, or is it kind of a moot point to be arguing about the differences in accuracy between the mosin and kar outside ranges of 300m?

I was under the impression that since this was a game about the battle of stalingrad, the majority of infantry fighting would be at least semi-urban in nature. I doubt there are many areas in a bombed-out urban environment that will offer anyone a 300m-long view. Most kills will probably happen at ranges under 100m anyway. If there are any maps that will allow fighting to occur at ranges of 300m or more, I would imagine that they would be dominated by tanks.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that the differences in accuracy shouldn't be modelled, I'm pretty sure that a team like TWI pays enough attention to details that they've already made the two rifles have slightly different accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that the differences between the two are still very minute and all but the most hardcore bolt rifle fanatics are going to really notice. Very few players can hit a target at 300m, and I would venture to guess that those who have managed to do so aren't getting the majority of their kills at such extreme ranges anyway. IMHO, the biggest differences in the rifles are going to come from their lengths. The mosin was longer and will be more unwieldly in close quarters due to the new collision mechanic. The kar will be more manueverable indoors, but its decreased length should put it at a disadvantage when bayo-fighting against the mosin

And as for other theatres, I would imagine that the accuracies of the weapons used will be tweaked to reflect their performance in real life, not simply a re-skinned version of the original rifles

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that the differences in accuracy shouldn't be modelled, I'm pretty sure that a team like TWI pays enough attention to details that they've already made the two rifles have slightly different accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that the differences between the two are still very minute and all but the most hardcore bolt rifle fanatics are going to really notice. Very few players can hit a target at 300m, and I would venture to guess that those who have managed to do so aren't getting the majority of their kills at such extreme ranges anyway. IMHO, the biggest differences in the rifles are going to come from their lengths. The mosin was longer and will be more unwieldly in close quarters due to the new collision mechanic. The kar will be more manueverable indoors, but its decreased length should put it at a disadvantage when bayo-fighting against the mosin
Decreased length, sure, but what about a sword bayonet versus a spike bayonet :p

Technically a sword bayonet is far more effective in CQC as it allows for blade twisting and in and of itself tenders a more grievous wound than a spike bayonet.

So +2 damage -2 reach, yes?

Upvote 0
Decreased length, sure, but what about a sword bayonet versus a spike bayonet :p

Technically a sword bayonet is far more effective in CQC as it allows for blade twisting and in and of itself tenders a more grievous wound than a spike bayonet.

So +2 damage -2 reach, yes?
:confused::confused::confused: Sure, why not? I still believe that more length is better for bayo fights though. I look at it this way: if I were ever involved in a RL bayonet fight, I wouldn't really care what kind of bayo I was using, I'd be much more concerned with being able to stab the other guy without him being able to stab me back. It's not like I'm gonna stick the guy and then he's gonna laugh at me saying, "HAHA!!! Your pitiful spike bayonet cannot hurt me enough to incapacitate me!!!" It will probably work more like, "AAAAGGGHHH!!!" followed by him falling down;)

Besides, the game renders you 'dead' when you're incapable of fighting. And I pretty sure that getting stabbed, whether it be by sword, spike, or friggin' lightsabre, would be sufficient to put you down for good in one strike (inb4 hands & feet)

Upvote 0