SasQuatch said:A quick word of caution in addition to Colin's advise:
Making a good, fun and technical good running map using the standard tools provided is already challange enough for most people.
So please, just try to make a fun, good performing map without trying to go whack on weird bad performing and unworkable gimmicks and gizmo's like Odessa's static mesh dirt mounds when you can do a better job by just using the terrain.
Smesh terrain cons:
Smesh terrain pro's: you can make it go vertical and upside down.
- worse collision calculations then terrain
- Needs a collision hull with the exact same polycount
- Without collision hull karma (deaths and vehicles) will just pass through them
- Adds chunks to Smesh memory where terrain can do a better job. Use that memory for usefull stuff.
- Adds to Texture memory because they use a special alpha texture for blending where terrain has blending build in
I don't know, I think that smesh portions can be useful especially for rubble that players wont be climbing on and only need simple collison. I also don't recommend what I did on Arad, if you are going to do distant terrain, it's best to do it with a scaled a terraininfo.