• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Scenarios being mapped:

SasQuatch said:
A quick word of caution in addition to Colin's advise:

Making a good, fun and technical good running map using the standard tools provided is already challange enough for most people.

So please, just try to make a fun, good performing map without trying to go whack on weird bad performing and unworkable gimmicks and gizmo's like Odessa's static mesh dirt mounds when you can do a better job by just using the terrain.

Smesh terrain cons:
  • worse collision calculations then terrain
  • Needs a collision hull with the exact same polycount
  • Without collision hull karma (deaths and vehicles) will just pass through them
  • Adds chunks to Smesh memory where terrain can do a better job. Use that memory for usefull stuff.
  • Adds to Texture memory because they use a special alpha texture for blending where terrain has blending build in
Smesh terrain pro's: you can make it go vertical and upside down.

I don't know, I think that smesh portions can be useful especially for rubble that players wont be climbing on and only need simple collison. I also don't recommend what I did on Arad, if you are going to do distant terrain, it's best to do it with a scaled a terraininfo.

Upvote 0
I'll throw myself into the fire. I am working on a version of my CoD/UO map "Barbarossa-Berezina River". It is a slow start due to learning the tools. I intend to more or less stay with the same premise but work to improve the layout/flow of the map to suit RO's combined arms potential. Getting the scaling down is one of the challenges...that and getting nice cooperation from the brush tools...makes me wish for Radiant! What's with no 3D manipulation anyway???

Lex, the model guy at After-Hourz is making some great progress on a BT7 tank so hopefully we will have that and maybe some other new content to release at the same time.

If this map goes well and is popular enough, I'll take the next step to "Smolensk" and then "Klin" if I can manage the time. There are a lot of things I like about these tools but relearning is tough after four plus years in the CoD world.

Upvote 0
Lruce Bee said:
Try not to complicate matters where terrain is concerned - use the terrain editor for the bulk of your terrain and use 128 x128 sections - try to avoid 256 x256 as your triangle count goes intergalactic - one trick I saw Cass using on a very early version of Arad was terrain made in the editor for traversing on foot or in vehicles and distant landscape was made using sheets in BSP and it looked really good from what I remember - I think this was an attempt to keep the triangle count down because the map is huge.

I saw Rich make individual dirt piles and craters out of meshes for Odessa and that worked better than terrain for shaping and better control of the look and feel of what he wanted for his particular project.

You need to spend time modelling your terrain in the editor to get it looking convincing - I see a lot of terrain on maps looking like Pamela Anderson's tits tbh.

RO-Road to Orel(June 1943, tank). The balttle for the high ground prior to the Battle of Kursk

Im building a map with terrain 512x512 with a terrain scale of 512 instaed of the normal 64(8 times bigger triangles) which is around 5kmx5km. Any comment on how this will play, Ive got it mapped out with 5 objectives, one on a hill. The hill has static mesh dugouts for vehicles to use as hull down firing points. There are extra stug3 and su76 to use these. I will try to put an antiportal under the hill which should help, but so far in a 32 bot match I get FPS 60+. Is there a network penalty for high terrain sizes or is it all rendered clientside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am researching/designing a Seelow village map. I will work on the surrounding area once the village is complete. Am also getting data for a Smolensk map, too.

Thank God someone thought of that those brave devils defending it need some credit. Im a nut on the battle of Seelow heights. But what part of the defence are you modeling?
A helpful book is osprey's "Berlin 1945 the end of the thousand year reich"

Upvote 0
Siege of Sevastopol

Siege of Sevastopol

I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in this map design. It's a world war II engagement that took place over eight months From October 30, 1941 to July 4, 1942 until the germans secured the city. It also made use of some Uber german railway Artillery (Schwerer Gustav). So artillery is a huge component of this historic seige on both sides. Im trying to be as accurate as possible without modifying the actual game interface, in that case there has to be a few limits the particular assualt takes place on December 17, 1941 the german assault will be provided by the german 54th corps (infantry divisions still to be decided) supported by a motorized division. The russians defence is primarily provided by the black sea fleet and maritime army as this was a major main sea port. The scenery will include parts of Sevastopol ports and 2/3 city with bunkers, pillboxes, and barbwire as well as some navigatible parts of the city not blocked by rubble, but still including fortifications in key city areas. I still need to research weather conditions as well however its likely light to medium snow (not as bad as farther north in russia). Currently Im just researching and will soon start mapping when I get a chance :)

Upvote 0