• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Russian vs German assault?

kuroneko

Apr 14, 2013
I've been playing for a little over a month on the Russian side. I've seen Russian players and roles in other games; Arma 2 for example and liked Ro2 because I think it gives you the experience of how the Russians defended their country during ww2.

The only thing that I find is the Russians really seem to have a disadvantage in this game. The Germans seem to rush in and take objectives mowing down Russians using their SMGs while we try to defend using our bolt action rifles and LMGs. Maybe this is realistic but I've been in many games where even if it seems we are winning, the Germans are coming out on top.
Maps like winterwald, fallen fighters etc where people say the Russians have an advantage still lead to massive loosing streaks on the Russian side. I've been trying to be defensive, camping areas with a rifle or lmg and doing fine but still Germans are creeping in and taking objectives and basically dominating.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

Last edited:
Bolt actions? You have the mighty PPSH!

PPSH > MP40.

So no, it's not a problem with the assault weapons. Unless of course you complain about the mkb, which isn't as awesome as people make it out to be.

It's mostly because the better players tend to play German more.
I play German 95% of the time, but that doesn't mean we always win. My Win/Lose ratio is of 1.4 I think.

It all comes down to how good the players and the team on each side is.

Upvote 0
Is this sentiment based on anything? Official numbers/stats or something?

Especially in RO2 the better team tends to win. That's why I love it so much. Winterwald is a hard map to assault, the russians can give the germans a hell of a time (and vice versa in campaign mode). I haven't experienced that one fraction is better than the other to be honest.

I just take the team that has fewer people in it, I don't care about which fraction I play. But I know many people that prefer to play axis, due to style reasons. I think there are more of them than the other way around.

Greets
Schepp himself

Upvote 0
The game is well balanced because you can play every weapon no matter which side you choose. So you should search the failure in you and your teammates play. But I actually play only German side because I am german, so I can`t talk about the normal teamplay in the russian team but I got a 2,4 win/loss ratio which should show that Germany is great :) Maybe tell your mates next time that fighting and vodka doesn`t fit together:IS2:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there some specific reason why axis is almost always full and has more skilled players on it? It's a real drag when that happens, is this due to the different weapons?

There's little difference between the weapons really. Mostly it's because the axis team is usually full of the more skilled player (infinite loop, yay), or because people just like the Uniforms and identify better with the side.

Upvote 0
Is there some specific reason why axis is almost always full and has more skilled players on it? It's a real drag when that happens, is this due to the different weapons?

Play on a different server/time. Its pretty even overall, player skill does come in to it more than anything. Last I checked a few weeks ago I had a 3.37 W/L and I favor allies significantly. Although, I'm usually on the weaker team for the map like CH for allies or back when Grain Elevator used to be hard to win for germans, I'd play Germans. I predominately play MG then Commander, both of which let me swing the tide of the battle a bit more than your avg class.

Upvote 0
The sides I prefer to play:

Spartanovka: German
Barracks: Russian
Apartments: Russian
Grain Elevator: German
Red October Factory: Russian
Fallen Fighters: German
Pavlov's House: German
Mamayev Kurgan (sp?): German
Gumrak: Russian
Barashka: Russian

As for the new maps, I have yet to decide.

But when you look at the above you may notice a pattern.

I prefer to play as Attacker more than Defender.

On the maps that are equal in offense and defense, such as Barracks, Pavlovs and Fallen Fighters.... I pick the side I am more familiar with in regards to map perspective.

Do the Germans have some sort of advantage?

Not that I can tell. It all comes down to which team did a better job of working together.

Upvote 0
I don't think we'll ever get a fair perspective on balance in this game. According to a poll here most people on this forum prefer playing Germans, which I assume is because they like the more human and/or elite image the Wehrmacht enjoy in the eyes of many, which leads to that team being stacked by the people who can, those who spent the most money on their PC, those who care the most and got really good at their hobby.

Also, I find it funny the way you imply the Russians don't have SMG's.

Upvote 0
I prefer to play as Attacker more than Defender.

Pretty much my philosophy except I usually play the team that lost the previous round for neutral maps and have an exception for Bridges where I prefer being a German MG, slightly more often than I attack. Preferring attacking to defending is kinda funny for me because I usually play MG which is better at defense, but getting in a good flanking spot towards the back of a cap where you can pick off the reinforcements going to the cap is such a rush.

Upvote 0
PPSh is the superior SMG in the game, if you know how to use it right.

(not to mention the fact that IRL most of the small-arms fighting was done with bolts and MGs, so don't diss them. SMGs are a very niche weapon)

For me PPSH is the best because it scores the highest avg a crossed all categories. If I want to win a 1v1 in CQC in a building nothing beats the AVT because of its bullet penetration, RoF and only needing 1-2 hits to kill. Why, I don't always use the AVT is that, you can often use all the bullets killing 1-2 guys and due to high recoil or no bullets are defenseless besides the bayonet to take on the 3rd and 4th guy. PPSH will let you kill all 4 because it has so many bullets.

Upvote 0
For me PPSH is the best because it scores the highest avg a crossed all categories. If I want to win a 1v1 in CQC in a building nothing beats the AVT because of its bullet penetration, RoF and only needing 1-2 hits to kill. Why, I don't always use the AVT is that, you can often use all the bullets killing 1-2 guys and due to high recoil or no bullets are defenseless besides the bayonet to take on the 3rd and 4th guy. PPSH will let you kill all 4 because it has so many bullets.

One thing I noticed in game is that I usually need to land more bullets on my target with the PPSH than I do with the MP40.

Often times I pump a few rounds at my target, see him get hit 2-3 times in that spray and still run off.... and I often have to toss another 2-3 rounds of bullets their way.... while with the MP40, if I hit them 2-3 times in one burst, they're dead.

Upvote 0
The Germans more often win in RO2 due to German fanboys IMHO and the love for the leveled up K98 (which is some sort of lazer gun with good sights) over the mosin-nagant.

The PPSH level 25 and above is far superior to the MP40 in every way. If you crouch and adjust your recoil down, you can score good accuracy and utterly decimate your opponent with a 71 round magazine..

I typically use SVT for longer ranges, PPSH drum, and level 50 belt MG-34 for defense and close combat. (great hipfire)

Upvote 0