• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Russian vs German assault?

The PPSh truly is a mighty weapon; Once I walked into a room with 4 Germans in it, spraying around from the hip; I was the only one who came out of the room alive.
But I still prefer the MP40; It's fire is just more accurate for me, and taking down an enemy from over 50 meters is quite hard with an PPSh, and over 100 meters impossible, but it works with an MP40.

The SVT40 is clearly superior to the FG42; it reloads much faster and has more amminution. Also, dat sounds.

About bolt actions... I love the Mosin-Nagant. Even more than the Kar98. But the Kar is shorter (and thus better to stay concealed with), and seems a bit faster.

All this is based on my personal in-game experiences, which may differ from others'.

Upvote 0
That is an interesting view on the MP40 and one that I had considered during my 130 hours of RO2 playing time.

I found it better than the PPSH at over 50 meters or so but only incrementally. After 70 meters its effectiveness is low, and one can easily get dropped by an enemy rifle. It was also worse at this range than the SVT or G41.

On Bridges a year ago I often had no choice but to spawn with the MP40 in defending the first cap by hiding/leaning from the bridge, and that's where my longest range MP40 kills were made (often around 90 meters). But to achieve that required a lot of long bursts (a lot of muzzle flash, which was dangerous to myself) and my magazines depleted very fast.

Overall, I found that the MP40 (IMHO) 'straddled' a uneasy middle ground between the PPSH and the semiautomatics that made it a 'not useful enough' weapon.

This is why my choice weapons were:

Room to room, point blank- MG34 belt

up to 50 meters- PPSH drum

50 to 100 meters+ - SVT first, G41 second

Defensive action- MG34 belt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sides I prefer to play:

Spartanovka: German
Barracks: Russian
Apartments: Russian
Grain Elevator: German