RS2 Mapping: Combine Static Mesh

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Srinidhalaya

Jan 20, 2011
The ability to combine static mesh is rather important for a jungle setting, where a single mesh is repeatedly used. This reduces draw calls substantially. Last I heard, you couldn't combine mesh's in RO2 SDK, was this changed? I tried to combine a couple of identical mesh, and they just vanished, although the pivot widget remained, and the new combined mesh existed in the scene list. Maybe I did it wrong? Going through the stock maps, I see this technique is used heavily for the tree's.

Srinidhalaya

Jan 20, 2011
Sweet. I saw the prefab option next to combine static mesh. I don't remember that being available back when I was making an RO2 map, so I didn't check it out.

Beskar Mando

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
steamcommunity.com
Lemonater47;n2294704 said:
You can create a prefab of several static meshes. So it then acts as a single mesh.

I don't think a prefab will affect rendering if I remember correctly. I mean if you really really need to combine a mesh, export to 3dsmax or blender combine it then re-import as a new mesh.

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA
I read somewhere on the ro2 forums that combining static meshes would only work for custom made imported meshes. Not for any vanilla meshes.

Srinidhalaya

Jan 20, 2011
That is unfortunate then. They used the feature quite a bit on the stock maps, I'm betting the high vegetation will require it to get decent performance, especially on air maps.