• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS RS - 12th best shooter of all time

That list is interesting, but it's not contemporary. It's partially 'historical'.

Doom was great for its time, but its time was almost 20 years ago... Team Fortress was great for its time, but its time was almost 15 years ago...

If you remove all these ancient games, then RS/RO2 is in or around the top 5.

Upvote 0
Nice, I can't understand why they think CSGO is better than Rising Storm though. Its basically CSS with better graphics. And I see the worlds best hat simulator got number one. :D But overall, nice to see COD wasn't included and Rising Storm was in the top 15.

As someone whose played cs since the beta in 1999, and still plays cs, i just want to say that CSGO is the farthest thing from CSS, and is actually closer to 1.6 if i had to pick a version. CSS is actually the worst version of cs i ever played, and yes that includes condition zero. CSGO is awesome at the current version because of all the small tweaks you wouldn't notice unless you play at a professional level. Although i finally am growing tired of the cs formula, i still play it from time to time, and i prefer it over COD or even BF series for a modern warefare game because of how its made to actually require skill. Its basically STILL the quake of this age, and thats sad that it has not been dethroned yet.

I love when a tripwire game gets the attention it should, because no one even knows anything about these games, and its a shame. out of my steam account of 150 or so friends, only me and one other person has the games or knows what they are.

Upvote 0
PlanetSide2?
Tribes?
Far Cry 3?
Wolfenstein(2009)?

Good joke.
Some people are saying the numbers aren't indicating rank and it's just random...but anyone who creates a "best shooters of all time" list and makes a conscious decision to place the number 5 next Borderlands 2 is doing some serious click-baiting.

Let's not even get into some of the other games and their positioning. :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fair enough - good list and considering RS' modest beginnings as a mod and that is was released just over a month ago, is is mighty impressive to be on a list like that.

There will always be disagreement over such a list, and there are certainly games there I personally have no interest in ever playing.

But the entry should be Red Ochestra though - it is the true classic and the game that set the standard, not RO2 or RS... but for marketing RS it's really good of course.

Upvote 0
That list is interesting, but it's not contemporary. It's partially 'historical'.

Doom was great for its time, but its time was almost 20 years ago... Team Fortress was great for its time, but its time was almost 15 years ago...

If you remove all these ancient games, then RS/RO2 is in or around the top 5.

Well of course it's "Partly Historical".... it's supposed to be a list of Best Shooters "Of All Time"

.... now, let me take a look at this link and see what all the Kur Fuffle is all about.......

Yes.... I would agree with Doom being on the list, in fact it should be number 1 or two, followed closely by Quake I. It was huge back when it came out and everybody I knew wanted to play it non stop. Besides Wolf3D, Doom was what brought FPS's into the spot light and created the Genre to what we know it as today.... it most certainly deserves #1 when you account for everything. More than one floor playing field (inclines and such), able to play with friends for the first "Deathmatch" that I've ever heard of..... ability to create your own maps??? This kind of stuff was top of the line back then, not to mention it had the ability to scare the crap out of you back in the day.

#2 should be Quake..... let me look.....

Oh wait it counts down opposite of the page number.... alrighty...

No One Lives Forever? I think I got that for free with a video card back in the day and I don't think I played it much, if at all. Oh well, I didn't give it a chance so I don't know if it was good or not.

Wolfenstien? I do remember it being very very popular when it came out. I enjoyed it myself... until all the nazi zombie stuff started to get out of hand..... eventually through the game, I felt like I was in the movie Dusk Till Dawn..... half one movie, then half some other fk'd up movie.

SWAT4? Not bad. I own it.

UT99? Most certainly belongs in the list. But should be much further up the list than it is.

Bioshock, never played.... moving on.

Somehow Mechwarrior Online doesn't seem to belong on this list to me.....

Never played any of the Max Payne games.... moving on.

FEAR was quite interesting when I played it.... though my system couldn't run it smoothly so I didn't get far and then forgot about it. But I remember it being very popular as well and well done.

ARMAII? Well by the way some in here go on about that game, I guess it's decent enough.

Natural Selection 2? Used to play the HL Mod all the time.... haven't played this version though..... Being one of the Best Shooters of "All Time" though? ..... I'm not sure about that.

Far Cry 3 was very well done, especially when compared to FC2, which I liked as well..... but once you play through it once.... the replayability is pretty well dead.

Counter-Strike? Very popular, high sales from all versions and was one of the mods that kept Half-Life 1 afloat for almost a decade.... it belongs on the list.

Battlefield 3? Someone's gotta put the drugs down and walk away from their computer..... Then again.... when you factor in sales and marketing, I'm sure it did extremely well. But I can think of a pile of other FPS's out there that should have been on this list before I thought of BF3.

I don't see how Rising Storm should get such a spotlight when you compare RO2 has been out for longer, has the same mechanics, detailed vehicles, more maps and detailed environments.... Rising Storm as one of the Best of All Times? Really not sure about that one.

L4D2 is pretty good.... should it be one of the top 25 games of all times? Like BF3, RS, NS2, MWO, etc..... I can think of much better FPS's that could have taken its place.

Counter-Strike again?? Whoever made this list sure hasn't played many shooters if he's gotta toss CS on the list twice.... same damn game ffs.

BF1942?? So now you get two CS games and two BF games in the list?? Any shred of validity in this list has just gone out the window. I'd seriously like to know what this person was basing their calculations on in regards to Best Shooters of All Time. Sorry, but BF1942, imo.... sucked chunks.

Tribes? Never played it...

Doom..... should be much higher than that.

STALKER.... never played

Never played Borderlands 2.....

Quake III??? You'd think Quake I would make the list since it's the one that perfected the Mouse Aiming characteristics that we take for granted today.... it was the next evolution for FPS's after Doom, and it was very very popular. Mods, skins, better multiplayer than Doom?? But this guy picks Quake III? Sure it was good and I enjoyed it.... but QIII does not trump QI.

Planetside 2? Moving on....

Half-Life 2???? This guy picks Half-Life 2 over Half-Life 1?? HL2 was like half the length of HL1 and didn't spawn nearly as many memorable Mods.... and considering how many years HL1 lasted in the FPS market..... this guy picks HL2??? I think I need to go to the bathroom and take a crap, cuz this list is sh*tting me.

TF2..... well I guess it belongs in the list, but Number 1? Sure it's popular and all.... but come on.

.... we’re mostly concerned with identifying which shooters are fun now, today, MMXII anno domini......

.....We value that more than the historical significance of a game, and doing so helps us build a list that recommends what’s great today rather than publishing a popularity contest. But we don’t ignore a game’s impact completely—innovation and influence just has a lesser weight under our criteria.

Oh.... I see.... well then this list is pretty much useless than isn't it?

It's a list based on what they think they personally find as fun and are trying to recommend them to others by putting them on a list.... ie: a Popularity Contest with no real credentials other than their subjective opinions.

Historical Significance is pretty damn important for such a list..... they were historical for a reason.... they were popular for a reason and maybe if people tried them today, they'd see why they were fun. You don't throw around the term "of all time" so loosely like that.

That was a waste of my time, and ruined my whole day.... I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0