• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ro-Tcherkassy beta 2

EscAz

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006
Ok i spent many hours to get it in time, i fixed many things so i hope you'll enjoy it.

Reminder

Ukrain, January 1944, in the Korsun-Tcherkassy pocket, a total of six German divisions at roughly 55% of their authorized strength, along with a number of smaller combat units. Among the trapped German forces were the SS Panzerdivision Wiking and the SS Sturmbrigade Wallonie (SS Assault Brigade), and 5-6,000 Russian auxiliaries. The trapped forces were designated Gruppe Stemmermann and the commander of XI Korps, Gen Stemmermann was placed in command. Wiking had approximately 43 Panzer III/IV tanks and assault guns. Two assault gun battalions provided an additional 27 assault guns.

Beta 2 Fixes

- Fixed floating sandbags
- Fixed terrain collision near German spawn
- Fixed stukas not flying through the hill anymore
- Full bots pathing
- Tweaked 2nd allies spawn and 2nd Axis spawn to make the map more balanced and avoid spawn-camping
- Increased Morar capping zone
- Added more damages and terrain painting near ju52
- Replaced the Elefant by a Panther
- Added many statics meshes on HQ
- Removed East bunker and replaced by the burning Marder
- Added Stug3 for more cover on left flank
- Added static meshes in Ruins to make first floor useful
- Reduced artillery for both sides (batteries size and numbers of salvo)
- Fixed the houses windows with fog invisibility
- Fixed some texture bug on buildings
- Added a Pack gun to provide more cover near Mortar
- Added more Ambient sounds of Artillery
- Added the dead body in HQ who represents Major Lippert, commander of the Wallonie Sturmbrigade, who died during the fight of Staroselie
- Added minefield to protect last axis spawn
- Bloom fixed
- Add new Overhead map and new screenshots

And some more..

DOWNLOAD HERE

Screenshots :

Tcherkassy2.jpg

Tcherkassy4.jpg

Tcherkassy6.jpg

and more...

http://teamnoway.free.fr/Screenshots/Tcherkassy1.jpg
http://teamnoway.free.fr/Screenshots/Tcherkassy3.jpg
http://teamnoway.free.fr/Screenshots/Tcherkassy5.jpg

Last edited:
Some ideas:
- try to remove the propeller from the Stukas to make them look more like flying.
- add a different sound for the flying stukas, the current one sound more like a subwaytrain
- check all window heights for resting height
- check facing of german spawnpoints to avoid running into the wrong direction

Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
I can't remove the propeller on the static meshe, but i'll try to make them fly higher in the fog, then you won't notice it anymore

I'll change the sound and change the pitch too, did not noticed it but the sounds come back more often, maybe reducing the radius too.

For the spawn and the window height, i'll need more feedback from 12 v 12 or + to know if the map is not too much inbalanced for germans, but i'll check them anyway.

Thx for review keep going :)

Upvote 0
We played a nice match last night with a full server. Generally positive comments from everyone. A couple of things though.. the 'Mortar' capzone, as Putz so eloquently put it, is 'the size of a postage stamp' ... you may want to make it a touch bigger because it is relatively out in the open and very small. A couple of nades and the whole thing is clear.

Also, with the tough nature of having to fight going uphill we noticed the time limit is a tad short. Because it is so short it causes a frantic style of play where lucky strings of kills are necessary to actually win, as opposed to thought out movements. This may be the desired effect, I'm not sure, but basically if you are facing a halfway decent German team you need to constantly be on the run. Like I said, you may want it to play this way, I'm not sure. I think something small like 5 extra minutes would make a real difference for the attacking team.

Nice map man.. Thank you far the hard work
thumbsup9hv.gif

Upvote 0
As it is a small camp compared to the others, i did not want the map to be too long. Anyway it's not the first time people tell me mortar is really hard to cap, but i was affraid it would be too hard to defend the HQ after.

Since i changed the HQ spawn i think i will extend the mortar capzone to the fountain square near it and allow capping fomr here but not from the building that face the position, cause it would be too hard for russians to get the germans out of it.

Thx for the review ;)

Upvote 0
Played last night with teams roughly 13vs13. The map layout and atmosphere is great, especially for your first map. The spawns need some tweaking though. The Germans have too short of a run to the first ruined house and the Russians have too long of a run. You could keep the Russians where they are but lenghthen the run for the Germans because everytime a Russian got to the ruins there were at least 3 Germans sitting in there regardless of whether they had been cleared out. They can also set up a MG in the doorway and shoot down to one of the exit turns from some of the Russian spawns. If the ruins can be recapped once taken by the Russians I would definitley switch that to be disabled because the Russians need it for a stepping stone. I'm only saying this because we never saw the Russians actually cap the ruins.

I would also suggest taking arty away from the Germans. They have enough advantages as it is with the terrain but once they started raining arty down on the Russians it just went from bad to worse. You could let the Russians keep arty to help them advance but for the sake of play balance consider taking it away from the Germans. I'm not sure if you have 1 or 2 squad leader positions on the Russian side because I only remember us having one and he was an idiot :p Having at least two so that there is a better chance of smoke being used to help advance would be appreciated.

I also played this with a smaller number of players and bots and have to say you did a good job on your both pathing. The map wasn't as big a challenge as when real players were playing but it was still fun.

Overall this is a really good map and has the potential for some great rounds of play. Just mainly needs some spawn tweaking and adjustments to help both sides have some fun.

Upvote 0
I never had the chance to play it 12v12 or more so i didn't know how it will handle. The German Artillery was already reduced, I introduced it cause Germans have 2 Flags to defend on the first frontline. But i agree Soviet commander has a big responsability for the first 2 capping, use of arty and smoke has to be good if you expect to stay in Ruins. I'll try to reduce the german arty to 1 call. But i'm not sure 2 commander would be good cause that measn 4 players to counter two if they enter in the capzone. So with more feedback and test i'll try to figure out what will be the best change to do for balance.

Thx for the bot review, i never done that before and hardly play with bots so when i tried it i did not know if my bot pathing was correct or not cause bots usually do some really wierd things :p

Thx for helping.

Upvote 0
I forgot the capping advantage squad leaders brought to the table and was more looking at it from the need for extra smoke. The hardest part at times is getting the spawn distances and times balanced. Just ask Drecks how many discussions we had about that subject alone through his development of Zhitomir. Are the spawn times the same for both sides or do the Germans take slightly longer? Giving them a little farther to run and/or increasing the respawn time for them will help balance things for the Russians so that they have a chance to make their way up the hill.

Upvote 0
I played the map to. And agreed with all Jakl has to say.
We played it with less and still the Mortar was so hard to get.

I know the frustating of spawntweaking been there and i can
say i'm still there when i wake up sweating.

Once the Allies have to cap the Mortars and HQ i noticed the
Axis spawn in the HQ capzone, which make it almost impossible to cap.
while it is opened for capping.
So i presume your initial though was to make it capable.
I could be wrong.

Great Job

Upvote 0
Ok here's how works the Spawns in fact, i'll try to fix them.

When Allies Caps Ruins, Axis Spawn move back to HQ.

When Allies cap command post nothing move.

When Allies cap both Ruins and command post, Allies spawn move to Ruins and on the backroute before command post, German still HQ (maybe it's there i should move the axis spawn downhill)

When Allies cap mortar, Axis spawn move down hill, between the tents and the last big house.

I'll increase mortar capzone and move back german spawn. I did not know how it'd work and was affraid the german would have hard time to defend.

Thx for help i'll try to fix it :)

Upvote 0
I forgot the capping advantage squad leaders brought to the table and was more looking at it from the need for extra smoke. The hardest part at times is getting the spawn distances and times balanced. Just ask Drecks how many discussions we had about that subject alone through his development of Zhitomir. Are the spawn times the same for both sides or do the Germans take slightly longer? Giving them a little farther to run and/or increasing the respawn time for them will help balance things for the Russians so that they have a chance to make their way up the hill.

IIRC German's Spawn is 1 sec longer than Soviet's. I could change that too.

Upvote 0
Very nice map. Great atmosphere. Brutual on the Russians, as Jakl noted. We were on opposite teams and it was a tough uphill fight for them. I agree that you may want to pull the arty for the Germans or maybe allow only one or two calls total as once it was planted around the Russian spawn, things were ugly.

Good looking map that will get better with a little spawn tweaking. I would agree to move back the Germans and/or adjust respawn time.

Upvote 0