• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt Beta 3

The ISU is fine: we just had some issues with it deflecting a lot of stuff (like 88mm rounds to the front), so I tweaked some of its settings. I did however end up merging the ISU152 files in to my tank package because some people were getting mismatches (mismatches be damned).

I'm going to run another test with the {CoreNA} guys and if everything goes smoothly then we will see a proper release.

It is a shame about the whole mismatch business but with all of the custom content floating around it's liable to happen, but the clients seriously need to be able to fix issues with their games. Deleting one file is easier than recoding 60, and then having to remove all of that content from the map and re-add every single bit of it.

Upvote 0
This is getting strange for me. Here are the sequence of events (for me).

I've played on various servers with Kriegstadt b2 and Pariser Platz -ISU for many weeks now.
So I had the associated files in my game computer's cache.

I started up a new RO server from scratch (on a dedicated box I rent) and added one custom map (Danzig Remix).

When Kriegstadt b3 came out, I put that map and the associated files on the server. It would not show up in my map list. I installed Ahz MinionWorkz Vehicle pack. It showed up in the list. I could play it on the server.

I then added Pariser Platz - ISU to the server. I did NOT overwrite any files from the Kriegstat b3 install.
I could join the server and play both maps. No problems.

I tried to join a server running Kriegstat b2 (and Pariser -ISU) and got a EH-M43-TEX mismatch error.
Annoying but no problem for me. I went to the cache folder and deleted the associated file by looking in the cache.ini for the name.
I could then join the server running Kriegstat b2 (and Pariser -ISU).

Today, out of curiosity, I connected to my Kriegstadt b3 server.
I automatically downloaded the EH-M43-TEX file.
I ran around on Kb3 for a bit.
To see what would happen, I joined the server running Kb2 that I was playing on last night.
I could :confused:. No downloads or anything.

Now I'm totally confused.

Upvote 0
MinionWorkz issue was addressed during the {CoreNA} test, the server log showed that a texture pack was missing but that has been addressed.

Code:
Warning: Failed to load 'axis_ahz_guns_tex': Can't find file for package 'axis_ahz_guns_tex'
Warning: Failed to load 'axis_ahz_Pak43_anm': Can't find file for package 'axis_ahz_guns_tex'
Warning: Failed to load 'EH-KriegstadtMisc': Can't find file for package 'axis_ahz_guns_tex'
Warning: Failed to load 'RO-Kriegstadt_Beta3': Can't find file for package 'axis_ahz_guns_tex'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary RO-Kriegstadt_Beta3.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'axis_ahz_guns_tex'
So, that fixes it.

I'm going to uz2 the updated files and put them up.

TO EVERYONE WHO ALREADY DOWNLOADED THE MAP ON FRIDAY/SATURDAY, YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE NEW .RAR AND OVERWRITE EVERYTHING.

Also, be a pal and help those who suffer from mismatch errors by telling them how to address those issues.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for all the hard work on this epic map!

I have a small request which should probably have been raised sooner: in the few windows that have overturned tables in front of them, the table legs facing inwards makes it impossible to stand at the sides of the window frames when firing. Is there any chance that the table legs could be removed or the tables replaced with something else?

Upvote 0
Well since I consider this release to be botched, I am going to look to push out Beta 4 or the Final in conjunction with the Final version of the ISU-152 and the next version of Pariser Platz (which I hope clears up the divide between Kriegstadt and itself).

Chances are I will allow this version of the map to sit out for a few weeks to a month as was the case with Beta 1 so people can try it out.

A shame I haven't seen this on any servers so as to receive feedback on the changes made. :confused:

Upvote 0
It is a shame about the whole mismatch business but with all of the custom content floating around it's liable to happen, but the clients seriously need to be able to fix issues with their games. Deleting one file is easier than recoding 60, and then having to remove all of that content from the map and re-add every single bit of it.

Actually, you are just as guilty as anyone. You are creating a ton of duplicate work to suit your needs/taste and that is creating the mis-match issues, not the prior work done by anyone else. You need to be responsible for all the changes you make when you take other peoples work to incorporate into your own packages. It is your responsibility to check the files and make sure the code and versions work...not the clients. The last thing any game needs is Joe Average player hacking around in his file directories to make his game/map run. Anything else is excuses.

I would suggest stand alone installs of the game for a "clean" environment in which you can test for these issues, especially if you don't have a dedicated test server. This is especially important if you are going to take portions of others work, MinionWorkz or Shurek's/CO's which are already out there by the tens of thousands. Don't put the blame on the game or the users.

Upvote 0
Alright Slyk, look. The other work done by people that I merged to avoid mismatches is not the issue! The issue is my own, personal content that I created. People get mismatches from my stuff that is in another map that I asked that it not be until Beta 3 was released. These would be the texture files. Everything else had the names changed to avoid these issues but toying around with the new skins is a bit of a ***** if I may say so myself considering the way the game handles it.

For example:

EH-BerlinTanksMod -> EH-BerlinTanksMod3
EH-MG_Mod -> EH-MG_Mod3
EH-M43_Mod -> EH-M43Uniforms
Various Merged Code -> EH-KriegstadtMisc
EH-Pantherturm -> EH-Pantherturm3

Are we seeing a pattern...?

Then, open up my .rar. Do you see CO_ISU152_BetaOne? You won't. It isn't there. How about AHZ_ROVehicles_Two? Nope, not there either.

What causes an issue is my content that has been mis-managed.

Let's look at what happens if I change the texture file name:

-I need to rename the Uniforms package and correct all references within the files contained therein (64).
-I need to rename all of the PlayerRecordClass packages (25)
-I need to remove every instance of my new classes in the map and then replace them and all of their settings.
-All the while, I need to fix all of the references to the changed code within the file structures.

I'm pretty tired of people assuming that it's some sort of easy and painless thing that I do.

Furthermore, making the map work correctly is no more different than installing a patch for anything non-Steam based. Download, extract, overwrite. If anything, that isn't hard and only the supremely tech-illiterate are going to have trouble. Someone who even makes the effort of Googling their problem should be able to fix it.

Upvote 0
Well since I consider this release to be botched, I am going to look to push out Beta 4 or the Final in conjunction with the Final version of the ISU-152 and the next version of Pariser Platz (which I hope clears up the divide between Kriegstadt and itself).

Chances are I will allow this version of the map to sit out for a few weeks to a month as was the case with Beta 1 so people can try it out.

A shame I haven't seen this on any servers so as to receive feedback on the changes made. :confused:

I should be able to release the final stock version of the ISU within the next week; maybe even by this weekend. There really wasn't much left to do, to tell the truth: implementing the ST-10 direct fire optics and calibrating them, calibrating the commander's periscope optics, fixing the armor a bit;), and a couple of other really minor code related issues. The new scope texture will be put into a separate .utx (maybe 'allies_isu152_optics_tex') to avoid having different versions of 'allies_isu152_tex' floating around out there. I'm ready to move on from the ISU and release the next beast in the CO/Shurek arsenal - plus I have a darn map that's 85% done that needs some TLC!

Upvote 0
Regardless of who/what causes the conflicts, the best practice method is to test on a clean install or dedicated server where you, the client, will show the mismatch errors before you release. That is the point.

At this point, what Zetsumei says holds true. With the volume of files you have, you are setting yourself up for more complaints because re-releasing the same file is going to run the risk of mis-match, especially when it is that large a package. It sounds like you need a better change control process. Just don't put the responsibility on the community/player to update themselves. A fraction of a fraction of RO players even know of this forum and can't or won't hack around their own file structure...nor should they and regardless of what server admins do, there will be mis-match errors with re-release of files.

Upvote 0
Let's look at what happens if I change the texture file name:

-I need to rename the Uniforms package and correct all references within the files contained therein (64).
-I need to rename all of the PlayerRecordClass packages (25)
-I need to remove every instance of my new classes in the map and then replace them and all of their settings.

Have you or are you using UnCodeX to search for the references? I've prefered it over the search function in WOTgreal. In an earlier post, I think you mentioned that you used the search function in WOTgreal. Just a thought or ignore this if you already know about it.

Upvote 0