• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Returning player. Some questions about gameplay mechanics

Atelophobia

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2006
According to KF Wiki there is head and body health.

1. So they are calculated separately?
2. Shooting a HOE FP Torso is useless when the rest aims for the Head and vice versa?
3. Do explosions draw health from Head AND Body the same time and same amount?
4. Count arms and legs towards body health and is there a reduced damage output?
5. Do exploding m32 shells make following shells explode midair if fired too fast?

Only the head hitzone has a possible hit bonus, all other body parts are handelled the same way.
Shooting at the torso is not always useless, as specimens do not have accurate placed body hitzones, which leads to overlapping parts. So you can deal around twice of the damage with shotguns when shooting there. (Useful on FPs/Husks). Still, aiming for the head the the better choice for non support/demo players, as head health is normally lower than body health.

Every specimen (Patriarch excluded) has two health amounts. The head health and body health. Hitting the head decreases both head- and body health to the same extent, whereas hitting body parts just decreases body health. That means that decapped specimens still have body health, so they can still walk around until they bleed out finally.
Only the body health is going to be drawn to command players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hitting the head decreases both head- and body health to the same extent

Never heard that before! A very useful information!

OT:
Am I correct that I can (beside the missing suicidal/hoe-map-finishing-achievements and "Highway to Heaven") only do following achievements RIGHT NOW (as there is no event)

- Juggling act (failed to get it during trader time and beside that the dropped weapons disappeared as next waves started)

- I love ze Healing not ze Hurting

- Combat Medic

- Explosion of Love

- Have my axe

- One Small Step for Man

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/bisch/stats/KillingFloor?tab=achievements[/URL]

Some event based achievments aren't described correct as I had to learn the hard way :/

Upvote 0
There are plenty more achievements you can unlock at the moment - pretty much anything that doesn't mention Xmas/Halloween/Hillbillies/Circus.

Having said that though, despite having only played since February, I've managed to unlock some of the Bedlam/Halloween achievements, not sure if it was a modded server or if they've accidentally been left 'on'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are plenty more achievements you can unlock at the moment - pretty much anything that doesn't mention Xmas/Halloween/Hillbillies/Circus.

Having said that though, despite having only played since February, I've managed to unlock some of the Bedlam/Halloween achievements, not sure if it was a modded server or if they've accidentally been left 'on'

There are a lot of achievements locked where no relation to an event is mentioned. Im not complaining. I just wanna know which can be done. If I got it right I (!) can only go for the missing sui/hoe achievements for the "newer" maps. (Once I had 100% achievements)

PS: funny... I used the nickname phlogiston on other platforms too ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
re: Head and body healths. (simplified to an extent).

A zed may have 500 head health, and 1500 body health. Shooting the body with a LAR will deal 140 base damage. Shooting the head will deal 140 x 2 (headshot modifier) damage = 280 damage to both body and head. If the head is taken to 0 HPs, it'll deal a massive extra amount of bonus damage to the body, and the zed will be decapped. If the body is dropped to 0 HPs the zed will die.
It's a lot better to shoot the head than the body in 99% of cases.

Explosions deal more damage based on proximity to zed as well, so shooting a zed in the face will deal more damage than the feet.

Arms = Body = Legs in terms of damage taken.

Check the wiki re: achievements, it'll group them into when they were set up so you can find out which are Christmas etc. But yea, pretty much all the non-map ones are event related.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i get the feeling that it is still not clearly explained. as far as i know it works like this:

a zed has a certain amount of health.
a part of this is head health which is not decreased when shooting the body except when the remaining overall health is <= (remaining) head health.
when the head health hits zero, the specimen is decapitated which means only bodyshots from this point. but they deal additional damage. and even if not shot, the zed dies after some time.

if explosives are aimed at the upper torso, they hit both parts and deal damage to body and head. penetrating weapons can hit both parts as well depending on the right angle.

Upvote 0
But the achievement page in the kf-wiki that isn't total crap is.

[url]http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Achievements[/URL]

few seconds on that page I stumbled across "finish him". achieved it few days ago. According to the page it's a christmas event.
(but I still like kf-wiki)
However... no "rule of thumb" or webpage is really reliable when it comes to Achievements. Confusion that would be so easy to fix (without bashing tripwire. ... and yea.... there is more important stuff)

Upvote 0
1. Yes
2. Not sure
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

i get the feeling that it is still not clearly explained. as far as i know it works like this:

a zed has a certain amount of health.
a part of this is head health which is not decreased when shooting the body except when the remaining overall health is <= (remaining) head health.
when the head health hits zero, the specimen is decapitated which means only bodyshots from this point. but they deal additional damage. and even if not shot, the zed dies after some time.

if explosives are aimed at the upper torso, they hit both parts and deal damage to body and head. penetrating weapons can hit both parts as well depending on the right angle.

Explosives do not deal damage to the head. Also head hp is only decremented on head shots. I don't know why you think body shots can affect head hp if "remaining overall health is <= (remaining) head health"

Upvote 0
Explosives do not deal damage to the head. Also head hp is only decremented on head shots. I don't know why you think body shots can affect head hp if "remaining overall health is <= (remaining) head health"

if i remember correctly there was a difference between shooting a fleshpounds feet or the upper body.

i thought i read somewhere that for a example a zed has 2000 hp and 500 of these are head hp. so it would take 2000 dmg to the body or 500 to the head to kill (decapitating, so dead after some time). might be wrong though and can't remember where i might have heard that.

Upvote 0
if i remember correctly there was a difference between shooting a fleshpounds feet or the upper body.

Shooting it in the upper body will yield something like a 2x damage multiplier (although unrelated to HS multiplier, head hitbox etc).
I don't remember whether it is exactly 2x, or approximately 2x (I have the feeling it's a little less, like 1.8x).

And Scary Ghost knows pretty much everything about KF. His word is basically gospel.

Upvote 0
According to KF Wiki there is head and body health.

1. So they are calculated separately?
2. Shooting a HOE FP Torso is useless when the rest aims for the Head and vice versa?
3. Do explosions draw health from Head AND Body the same time and same amount?
4. Count arms and legs towards body health and is there a reduced damage output?
5. Do exploding m32 shells make following shells explode midair if fired too fast?

1. Yes, but shooting the head ALSO decreases the bodyhealth
2. Well, sorta, since if everyone else is shooting the head it will probably die when decapitated, thus making your bodyshots sorta obsolete. Still better than not doing ANYTHING though.
3. It ONLY affects bodyhealth. However, if you shoot the chest/head-area with explosives, you deal about 90% more damage (but still only towards the bodyhealth). Same deal with the damage over time from burndamage btw: It only burns BODYhealth. However, all firebug weapons' initial damage except Flamethrower and Flame-grenades can headshot though.
4. Arms and legs are all body health yes. Head is head, body is the rest.
5. Interesting question, but i think no. Not sure though.

Some more info about game-mechanics:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75129
Enjoy the reading ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i thought i read somewhere that for a example a zed has 2000 hp and 500 of these are head hp. so it would take 2000 dmg to the body or 500 to the head to kill (decapitating, so dead after some time). might be wrong though and can't remember where i might have heard that.

Possibly, you do have the weird shotgun hit box thing some people were discussing earlier here.

Upvote 0