• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

one thing I did notice on the Kar98 reload, the Stripper clip is not pulled out before bolting. you need to fix that cos the bolt would not close with it still in place.

sounds are really nice and the animations look very well done. I agree about the crawl anims though, adding a slight bobble on them would make them fell more realistic.

Upvote 0
Animation, sound and models look tight at the moment. The texture on the Kar98 looks a bit washed out, though. But Source tends to do that a lot (or maybe it's just the dark lighting).

As for free-aim, it totally depends on what you prefer. I'm experimenting with decreasing and increasing the free-aim in ArmA, and I can't really decide yet which I like better. I guess the idea with free-aim is that you can get your sight on target faster, but you sacrifice situational awareness (because looking around takes a bit longer). I dunno, I can't say if I play better or worse with freeaim on.

Anyway.. R&L... will download it.

Upvote 0
The general freeaim in RO or in R&L isn't too intrusive because it is "smooth" - means you can move your screen at any time and not only after you moved your mouse to the corner of the screen or over a certain line.
Plays great, and it works great in terms of making hip-shots less accurate without having to rely on conefire.

I don't like free-aim in the iron-sight mode though. As others have mentioned it is unrealistic and as a result it feels strange.
An advantage of it is that you can aim down a bit so you can look over your weapon and you can see more of what is going on without having to "exit" iron-sight mode.
In R&L the iron-sight freeaim doesn't seem to be that intrusive. At least in the vid it looked pretty smooth. I don't know how it feels when actually playing the game, but at least in the video it looked like I could get used to it without getting blisters. :D
This also means, however, that the disadvantage of feeling wierd is lower than normally, but the advantage of the added situational awareness is lowered too. A compromise so to speak.
Ah, as I said, I'll have to try it first hand to really judge it.

Yeah, the crawling animation doesn't look right. The shown movement is very slow but the character moves pretty fast. It doesn't match. Compared to how jumpy the cam is when running it is also way too steady. This definately needs improvement.

Speaking of running: It looks like players can strafe a bit while sprinting. That's great! But is it normal that the character leans in the direction of the strafing then? Felt kind of "drunk" to me, tbh.:p

As for the weapons: They feel heavy and they are loud. If they perform as well as they behave visually I'm satisfied.
Historical inaccuracies as they were pointed out by others will have to be fixed at some point in time of course, but the general image I got from the two vids was very positive.

I'm looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
Animation, sound and models look tight at the moment. The texture on the Kar98 looks a bit washed out, though. But Source tends to do that a lot (or maybe it's just the dark lighting).

As for free-aim, it totally depends on what you prefer. I'm experimenting with decreasing and increasing the free-aim in ArmA, and I can't really decide yet which I like better. I guess the idea with free-aim is that you can get your sight on target faster, but you sacrifice situational awareness (because looking around takes a bit longer). I dunno, I can't say if I play better or worse with freeaim on.

Anyway.. R&L... will download it.

I can see the trouble some people might have with the free-aiming ironsights, but for me personally i'm so used to the free-aiming in ArmA that i dont even notice i dont turn around immediately :p
That might be just lucky me, but i know how to move my mouse quickly enough to turn around without having any trouble from free-aiming, but also have the ability to aim very well within the free-aiming zone.
It's hard to explain though, im not sure if you understand what i mean :p
I just turn around as easily as well as staying within the free-aiming zone, and the controls do exactly what i want :)
It's a bit of a leftover from OFP too i guess, i played that game so much with it's free-aiming weapon that it's second nature to me, it just feels right :D

Upvote 0
Well, if I hear gunshots coming from the right outside of my FOV, I want to be able to turn around and put my sight on the target as quickly as possible. I feel that it's a bit harder to with a lot of freeaim. If I decrease the floating zone, I know exactly where the barrel of the gun will be when I quickly turn around: more or less in the center of the screen. Free-aim doesn't really give me that sense of security. You first have to look around, and THEN move the sight closer to the target.

But I'm experimenting with it.

I do agree that the player looks somewhat drunk. Not sure what's that supposed to simulate.

Upvote 0
Well, if I hear gunshots coming from the right outside of my FOV, I want to be able to turn around and put my sight on the target as quickly as possible. I feel that it's a bit harder to with a lot of freeaim. If I decrease the floating zone, I know exactly where the barrel of the gun will be when I quickly turn around: more or less in the center of the screen. Free-aim doesn't really give me that sense of security. You first have to look around, and THEN move the sight closer to the target.

But I'm experimenting with it.

I do agree that the player looks somewhat drunk. Not sure what's that supposed to simulate.

But i think that is kind of the point of the whole free-aiming thing isnt it?
I mean, in games you can turn around SO quick, and immediately have a good sightpicture and pull off a good shot, like in RO or CS.
In real life though, i figure that when you turn around very quickly, one would more often then not lose that good sightpicture, and i think free-aiming does a nice job simulating the time needed to get back that sightpicture again.

Also, the suggestion saying it isnt realistic, is kind of doubtfull to me. (dunno who said it and im to lazy to go a page back and find out tho :p)
I agree that you would turn around in real life to get a good firing position again. In the midst of battle there isnt allways time for that though. But what i'm getting at, is that you dont have to turn your whole body around to get that good sightpicture, you can turn your torso around a bit and still have a good aim. Again, i think free-aiming simulates that as well.
(though for that to be fully realistic you should be able to turn around in free-aim more to the left then to the right, as you have to turn around your whole body if you want to go right cause your more flexible to the left etc but meh :p)
But that is just my personal opinion, based on these 2 'facts' ( note the 's around the word facts, so dont assault me on that as i expect some will lol )

Upvote 0
The crawling looks like the sprint animation, and is prolly the placeholder. But then again, why show crawling in the movie if it isn't done yet.

Hmmmz...
I'm almost positive that it is a place holder. Why show it in a media update? I don't know, I'm not the devs. However, ALWAYS assume that any media like this is to be considered WIP.

Oh, and no problem answer questions. Alot of times all it takes is one person to give out some basic info to keep people up to date on what's going on. I hate it when mods/games always keep you in the dark on stuff needlessly.

Upvote 0
one thing I did notice on the Kar98 reload, the Stripper clip is not pulled out before bolting. you need to fix that cos the bolt would not close with it still in place.
Actually, to be a stick in the mud, you can close a Mauser with the stripper in place, it will get 'kicked out' as the bolt hits and passes through it. Works the same with an Enfield and most stripper fed weapons.

About the free aim in iron sights, I understand what you guys are saying about quickly turning and having a perfect shot. But there are other ways to get around this that aren't so unrealistic, like having the sights go out of alignment if you turn really quickly and then straightening up once you stop. There's a game that does it like that I forget which one. You also have to remember that going from seeing something to shouldering and aiming at it is very instinctual when you know a weapon in and out.

Other annoyances about free aim while aiming is that you never have exacting control over where you're facing, eg. I want to shift my view 60 degrees to the left, I have to move my aimed weapon to the edge of the free-aim zone and drag it there then center back towards what I want to shoot at. Very un-intuitive if you ask me, I much prefer having it locked to my view.

That said I am a big fan of free aim from the hip and when un-sighted.

Upvote 0
Actually, to be a stick in the mud, you can close a Mauser with the stripper in place, it will get 'kicked out' as the bolt hits and passes through it. Works the same with an Enfield and most stripper fed weapons.

About the free aim in iron sights, I understand what you guys are saying about quickly turning and having a perfect shot. But there are other ways to get around this that aren't so unrealistic, like having the sights go out of alignment if you turn really quickly and then straightening up once you stop. There's a game that does it like that I forget which one. You also have to remember that going from seeing something to shouldering and aiming at it is very instinctual when you know a weapon in and out.

Other annoyances about free aim while aiming is that you never have exacting control over where you're facing, eg. I want to shift my view 60 degrees to the left, I have to move my aimed weapon to the edge of the free-aim zone and drag it there then center back towards what I want to shoot at. Very un-intuitive if you ask me, I much prefer having it locked to my view.

That said I am a big fan of free aim from the hip and when un-sighted.

Good points as well.
I'd rather have the manual 're-aiming' of the ironsights though, as when an animation does it for me, it's more annoying when you feel that you could do it faster yourself. The free-aiming ironsights give me that feeling.
It's just a matter of taste in the end, then :)

Upvote 0
You don't know FEAR until you've played that.

Absolutely terrifying. You die, you're out for an hour.

Well, I wouldn't call it fear but it's damn exciting.

I have so many good memories with OFP + FDF WW2 mod.

for example one epic mission lasted over 4 hours, we used only ski's to move from place to another. Partisan raids during "cold" winter night into Soviet strongpoints and which escaleted as strike into Airfield. That's where 4 of our 6 man squad got killed but they managed to blow up the planes and escape tanks and infantry which were alerted to hunt them. If you're dead, you're out. It's mission or two per day, that's the way to play it.

Upvote 0