I am very curious to see how far this has come since the public alpha release 2 years ago.
Same, I haven't played it since then, but it does look really good now.
You just answered your own argument. And I have no answer for the rest I really don't. Play RO and be happy like I do happy days man.Also, the mod version of RO had ballistics. In this mod they wanted to include a ballistics sim, but they decided to forgo it because of the fact that ballistics sims are gas hogs on Source engine.
It is May 15th, time for the Open Beta release!
Just to reiterate some important information:
Do not be mistaken as this is NOT the actual Beta release. Before we can release beta in full, we need feedback. Following this build, there will be subsequent builds to add other game pieces/maps for testing and bug fixes. We have disabled all private server hosting. With this, we have designated server hosts that will run beta test servers for the duration of this public beta test. These servers are dedicated to beta testing and will be watched over by the hosts' admins. Also, there will be an official bug report thread so that we can get constant feedback. It cannot be stressed enough that this is not a full release, but a restricted beta test build to allow the Developers to restrict the content being tested and get quick feedback.
Now without further adieu, here are the links where you can download Open Beta 1.0:
Strategy Informer Mirror
Known Issues List:
- Missing G43 models. K98 serving as a temporary placeholder until G43 can be finished.
- Along with the above issue, G43 midclip reload leads to the gun getting "stuck" temporarily because K98 doesn't have a mid-clip reload animation.
- Higher pinged players may experience animation glitches.
- On dedicated servers, weapon animations may behave weirdly on first few seconds of spawning. Switching weapons seems to fix it.
- MG42, 30Cal, Axis Explosive, and Allied Explosive animations are placeholders.
- Some BAR and Carbine animations are yet to be finalized.
- No map information displayed in the initial panels (such as MOTD, and Team Selection)
- Climbing may put you in some solid geometry if you don't pay attention.
- Radioman class holds no extra functionality. It is merely a visual class at the moment.
- German Radioman has no radio on his back (No German radio has been modeled...)
- When in spectator mode, animations of players and environment stutters.
- Allied player model is not weighted correctly, sometimes causing it to pose incorrectly. (Thumb jutting out sideways when holding a weapon)
* Completely rewritten code
! New grenade system that utilizes one button. The longer the button is held, the farther it will be thrown. Burns the fuse simultaneously. This is still a work in progress.
! New ironsighting method. Click once to ironsight, hold to supersight. To simulate holding of breath, the longer this button is held, the worse weapon sway up to the sway of standard ironsights.
! New Allied player model and skin.
! New menu visuals including a new main menu background, new MOTD, new Team Selection screen, and new Squad Selection team. (A Map info panel will be added later)
! New or tweaked sounds for almost everything.
! New loading screen system. Loading screens are still being made to fit the new system, so some are unreadable at this point.
! New tip system for loading screens. Loads tips from a translatable file. Able to include button binds. See "rnl/scripts/loading/loading_english.txt" for the syntax and examples
! New objective and task system. Allows for parent objectives comprised of multiple tasks. The objective is taken when all tasks are completed.
! New destruction tasks. Along with this, new Allied and Axis explosives added to the new Engineer class.
! New mapping entities to encompass the completely rewrite and the new objective system. See the Wiki for details.
! New map overview script. See the official maps and associated scripts for examples.
! New map-specific squad scripting system. Allows for more control for the mapper. Each script more easily determines the makeup of each squad and what equipment each class carries. See official maps and associated scripts for examples.
+ Added the ability to reload a garand in mid-clip accompanied by a new animation.
+ Added the ability for deployed MGs to look around themselves by using the "+alt1" command. Bound to ALT by default.
+ Added the ability to ditch MGs while undeploying for fast getaways. Just drop the weapon while undeploying.
+ Added the Engineer class. (See new destruction tasks above)
+ Added the Radioman class. [Non-functional] (See known issues below)
+ Added the Browning Automatic Rifle as a per-map replacement for the Browning .30 Cal MG. (Determined by map scripts)
+ Added the M1 Carbine as the primary weapon for the Engineer and Radioman classes.
+ Added the ability to drop clips (or boxes) of ammunition for each weapon. (.30 Cal and G43 are using temporary placeholders)
* Updated St C