• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Request] M60E4 / Light Machine Guns

My trader comment was more of the fact that the slow walking speed would screw you over when you end a wave 150 meters from the trader :/ I guess my balance options would be this:
1: There is one LMG - its not its own class with 3 separate weapons
2: Ammo is ok at lvl1, only high at lvl 6 (say 60-80...)
3: Reload is long (it can't be excessive though - too long and you're guaranteeing death on high diff.)
4: Optional: reloads get rid of excess ammo, preventing people from running around with 80 rounds available at all times
5: Heavy, say 12 blocks (over 10 is all that matters to prevent people from carrying a handgun)
6: Lower total ammo (250 vs 300 could make all the difference balance-wise)
7: Either make it slow firing (prevents total domination of large zeds but ammo conservation) or super fast (which allows for domiantion of big zeds but makes ammo conservation and recoil a pain). NO SINGLE FIRE
8: Iron sight (no red dot, nor can it be precise like the 9mm) and high spread
9: damage is like the AK

IDK how that plays out for you guys. I think that'd be balanced but not nerfed... I'd have to play it to be sure.

Upvote 0
The way I see it: on higher difficulties reloading = death if your team doesn't cover you.

Also, overheating system should be added as a mean of balancing. When gun overheats, it doesn't stop firing though, but the heat counter builds up rapidly fast, and when you stop firing, you can't shoot again until gun cools down. So for example, if you spend a 100 round cartridge without any pauses, you have to wait like 1-2 minutes to fire again, unable to change weapon. It's your team's job to ensure your survival.

When these two combine, higher ammo quantity is not an issue. You see, we want to avoid situation when a player carrying LMG gives his death show three times and for the reamining 3/4 of wave just sticks around with his 9MM. And that would be the case if there was 200 rounds limit.

Upvote 0
@ Vealck:
Thats why i included option 4: Reloading gets rid of extra ammo in the clip. I think this would allow us to give it 300 ammo (or whatever ends up appropriate) because you then have to decide how important a full clip is - Is having all 80 shots more important than the 30 you have left? What if its 10 left? What about 50? I think that would add strategy to reloads and prevent people from spraying a pair of clots and reloading back to full all the time, and severely limit the gun without making it feel like its limiting the guns power.
Also, tbh, the heat thing bugs me because i think it would need alot of extra work, codewise and animationwise, because you would have to keep track of the heat/second lost and heat/shot gained and have a meter of some kind blah blah blah.... It sounds like it'd be hard to implement :( I'd vote for something like that otherwise...

Upvote 0
Well, discarding unused ammo would be, ironically, just as problematic to implement. The weapon would have its own ammo counting system, different from all other weapons. Overheating would just add some heat value every shot, just like a spread vector is added to the weapons in full auto. Something similar was already made - look for the mounted minigun map accessory.

Upvote 0
Well, discarding unused ammo would be, ironically, just as problematic to implement.
Would it really? I haven't played with coding at all yet, since I don't have a completed weapon to code yet :p I figured it would be easier, since all you have to do when you reload is subtract current ammo in gun from ammo in stock and call that the new stock ammo. IDK how the current ammo system works though. My only other complaint about heat is that (personally) its alot more stuff to pay attention too, whereas discarded ammo is a decision, not something that has to be monitored, per say.

Upvote 0