• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove trader location marker in Suc/HoE during round?

I don't get why people are throwing up their hands and saying "IT'LL CHANGE THE WORLD."

At the moment, with 3 zeds to go, people go to the trader.

After the change, people will fight their waves in EXACTLY the same spots or ways, but with 3 zeds to go, people will go to the map centre. Then when trader time starts, move on to the trader as normal.
Experienced players (who know where trader locations are) will just take up to 30 secs to get there, which means either finding a new spot to hodl out, not the *gasp* spot that everyone holds out at, or spending the first 10 secs of the wave fighting through to get back to their normal spot.

Hardly gamebreaking.

Then why add it or approve of it if it doesn't even bring a challenge, but rather enforces the same camping motive this guy wants to get rid of? It makes no sense.

Upvote 0
Then why add it or approve of it if it doesn't even bring a challenge, but rather enforces the same camping motive this guy wants to get rid of? It makes no sense.

It does not enforce anything. Everyone will play the game exactly as they have before.
Only difference will be that instead of going to the trader end of wave, you'll go to map centre, and at the start of waves you'll probably be running back to your spot rather than arleady there.

It doesn't enforce camping or kiting, and won't get rid of anything that people don't like. It'll make very little difference.

Most noticable difference will be that people who camp will have to make a decision: Go back to my favourite camping spot and spend the first 10 secs of the wave fighting through mobs, or camp at a slightly worse spot and don't. Hence, I like it.

Upvote 0
It doesn't enforce camping or kiting, and won't get rid of anything that people don't like. It'll make very little difference.

What about the people that like knowing where the trader is going to be? :p

If it makes such very little difference to the game, why even do it. I guess that could be what is confusing people? :confused:

Upvote 0
When you are in between waves, THE ARROW (and red marker fume) IS STILL THERE.

it only hides the arrow while Zeds are still alive. Once all zeds are dead and the wave is over, then you get to see the trader.

Reading is tech guys

Same difference. Doesn't change a thing. Since you are removing the arrow, it only follows that you are removing the distance counter as well.

Again, small & known maps aren't a big deal. Large and unknown maps will be the problem. Again, what you want really tilts the game to zerkers and infinite ammo weapons.

Add in that the "double-click" to buy or sell a weapon doesn't always work, and someone getting to the trader with 10 or less seconds would probably be the same as not getting there.

I read it well enough, so mind the comments. This is still beyond terrible of an idea, especially in large maps, to the point of screwing the entire team if they are bound to be unlucky enough to be on the far side of the map when DING DING DING! "hey guys! the trader has opened up shop! The bad news is..it's about 182 meters away! Have fun" or better, it's 5 meters according to your arrow, but it's 3 stories up (an Office moment). This needs major rethinking, because I doubt this was well-thought out.

in fact, this has nothing to do with Skill or 'challenging' but rather blind luck, which is rather piss-poor of an idea.

Exactly.

So, according to you, herding around 3 or 4 zeds while the entire team moves to the trader position in order to end the wave right at the traders door, allowing them to get back in time to that same hole they've been hiding in (and will continue to hide) for the entirety of the game is good design..

but

having the players actually roam the map, force them to fight outside of their comfort zone and choose camping locations based on possible trader proximity instead on the same boring hall over and over is bad design...

Doesn't zed herding kinda defeat the purpose of a tight trader timer?

Yes, it will make the game a lot harder.. that's the idea. If big maps like farm are a problem, just increase it to 80 seconds or so.

But if you actually like herding zeds, repeatedly stocking and going back to the same boring @ss hallway for 10 waves, more power to you.

Dude, no one hates a team barricading more than I do. I don't weld in the game and I recommend against it. But what you are suggesting doesn't directly affect a team barricading. It is going to make teams go to all zerkers & medics with infinite ammo weapons because if any other perk misses a trader time, they're screwed.

I don't get why people are throwing up their hands and saying "IT'LL CHANGE THE WORLD."

At the moment, with 3 zeds to go, people go to the trader.

After the change, people will fight their waves in EXACTLY the same spots or ways, but with 3 zeds to go, people will go to the map centre. Then when trader time starts, move on to the trader as normal.
Experienced players (who know where trader locations are) will just take up to 30 secs to get there, which means either finding a new spot to hodl out, not the *gasp* spot that everyone holds out at, or spending the first 10 secs of the wave fighting through to get back to their normal spot.

Hardly gamebreaking.

Assuming EVERY TRADER is within 30 seconds. Huge assumption and it isn't true.

I think this idea is actually pretty good. It can encourage teamwork outside of just healing each other.

In large maps where simply staying in the middle ground of two traders isn't viable, the team can split into two groups, each heading towards one possible trader spot. The group which went to the actual trader can buy extra guns for their team mates (making support's bonus carry a team benefit in addition to a self benefit) and then regroup later.

Having to decide on a location to regroup, shuffle weapons, and toss money at each other requires communication and teamwork, which KF currently doesn't require much of.

How does a player carry "extra guns." If you are talking about a player giving another player half their weapons, now you have 6 players fighting 6 strength mobs with 3 player's weapons. And armor doesn't split.

Upvote 0
Assuming EVERY TRADER is within 30 seconds. Huge assumption and it isn't true.

Hospital Horrors, from spawn to rooftop is probably the longest distance I know of that you can go. When I spawn and need to get to that trader, AFAICR, I either get there just as it shuts, or get there with enough time to get into the trader menu and have it close on me, which means it's presumably 60 seconds away. And presumably 30 seconds from the roughly halfway point.

No other trader springs to mind that you can't get to from spawn. Maybe underground in Biohazard, which is more of a problem now that the other trader isn't bugged. I've never particularly looked at trading spots that're far away from map centres.

But I would've said any trader I could think of would be roughly 30 seconds from map centre. Maybe 40 seconds on the outside. (Assuming you ARE standing in the centre of the map, and know quickest routes to traders).

Upvote 0
yeah, guess you are probably right. I'm a big enough man to admit it.

Now that you mention it, it doesn't change do much to stop camping and substitutes one form of zerd herding with another.

Well, it was worth the shot
Better luck next time. Perhaps suggest just removing the red smoke trail, which requires skill and knowledge of players to know their maps.

Upvote 0
How does a player carry "extra guns." If you are talking about a player giving another player half their weapons, now you have 6 players fighting 6 strength mobs with 3 player's weapons. And armor doesn't split.

If no one dies, they will still have their weapons from the previous waves, thus encouraging the team to protect each other. Only ammo will be an issue, which can be resolved by moving around the map for ammo boxes.

Upvote 0