• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove the ingame "who killed who" list.

IblisGinjo

Feb 29, 2008
I was wondering why not remove that list? For example if I see a player in a distant window I can keep firing until I see that "IblisGinjo killed Gravi" or if I throw a grenade in a room I wait to see if I killed anyone before entering.

Don't you think in war that one of the things is that you never now if you really hit that guy and he may still be alive.

I don't like it when the death messages are off. It's more satisfying to know that you've just killed someone you know on the internet or so. And when the deathmessages are off, the game seems more boring to me.

See, to me it seems more tense. Especially on bigger maps when you're engaging at range. It's exhilerating to unload a mag of an SMG at a group of people and not stop untill you're empty, rather than just waiting untill you see two or three messages.

Or even better, playing as an MG-42 gunner on maps like Kriegstadt, where someone will think they've killed you, but you wait, hold your fire while the enemy team advances into the open, then you hose them down.

I think the uncertainty adds to the gameplay. It's not about realism so much as it is about just, well, removing another handicap and making it a bit more gritty.

Upvote 0
See, to me it seems more tense. Especially on bigger maps when you're engaging at range. It's exhilerating to unload a mag of an SMG at a group of people and not stop untill you're empty, rather than just waiting untill you see two or three messages.

Or even better, playing as an MG-42 gunner on maps like Kriegstadt, where someone will think they've killed you, but you wait, hold your fire while the enemy team advances into the open, then you hose them down.

I think the uncertainty adds to the gameplay. It's not about realism so much as it is about just, well, removing another handicap and making it a bit more gritty.

And I think it makes it more boring. It doesn't change the gameplay, the gameplay is already there. It only changes the people.

Upvote 0
And I think it makes it more boring. It doesn't change the gameplay, the gameplay is already there. It only changes the people.

Well, not entirely. It changes the gameplay in the same fashion that, say, turning down the tracers on the MGs (e.g. EvilHobo's new MGs) does. It doesn't nessecarily make things less frantic, just less predictable.

Upvote 0
I really prefer servers turning off the death messages, but i dont know one unfortunately. I would be over there all the time :eek:
However, to be really effective, you need a disabled scoreboard as well.

you dont have to remove the scoreboard. just add the points you gainded only after the round or after you have died. you could even add a information screen after you have died, where everybody you haev killed is listed. everything is better then the system right now in game.

i also like them turned off, but thats just not the standard setting. if the deathmassages would have been removed from the game from one version to another noone would have a problem with that. this would even solve some problems like nadespam. but the people just do not want that change if they connect to one server. they want to play the same red orchestra on every server.

it is really sad that tripwire never had the guts to change this.

mfg Arnold

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's that unrealistic. For example what comes to long range kills, IRL the soldier could see distant targets much better than in the game because the game has only limitted resolution and because of this distant targets become very unclear chunks of pixels. And in CQB the soldies can hear much better if there are people behind the wall and what they are doing, implementing such a rich sound system for a game wouldn't be feasible. But in the end I don't really care about this feature whether it's on or off, it doesn't offer much either way.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's that unrealistic. For example what comes to long range kills, IRL the soldier could see distant targets much better than in the game because the game has only limitted resolution and because of this distant targets become very unclear chunks of pixels. And in CQB the soldies can hear much better if there are people behind the wall and what they are doing, implementing such a rich sound system for a game wouldn't be feasible. But in the end I don't really care about this feature whether it's on or off, it doesn't offer much either way.

I can usually tell at 200 yds+ if I killed the guy or not. You can hear the death scream a long way off, and most of the time get the blood spatter behind him. You don't actually have to see the ragdoll to tell if you got the other player or not. At ranges longer than that, the death message becomes gamey.

Then again I play at maximum resolution with a 22" widescreen and can see for miles, so it might be harder on lower resolutions.

Again, I love no death messages because I can take a dive and make the other players think they killed me. Then wait a few seconds, pop back up, and take them out as they run out from thier cover. I can hardly enjoy games with the messages turned on anymore because it just seems so more...gamey.

Upvote 0
there are some issues with disabling kill messages.

First people like to see who they kill and who they get killed by and want to see if a teammate makes 10 kills for fun.

The issue though is you don't want to know after you fired that you killed someone straight away, because then you stop being cautious if you're not sure.

So personally i think a scoreboard and kill message delay would be the nicest. So you can set it that all messages and scoreboard pop up 30 seconds later or something.

The issue with turning off deathmessages is that people will press f1 automatically to see if their score went up +1, it becomes automated for people even though they dont like it and only ends in frustration. So scores must be delayed or only showed at the end of a round or something etc.

Upvote 0