• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Redirected Problems

Redirected is hosted on another server. We tested it on the Webserver from TDP and Muttisbesten. At least we rent this production http://gc-server.de/v2/Webhosting-gc/Fastdownload-5GB.html.

Its every time the same server is full clients start the download some can get load all, but most crashed. Only restart steam help then.

Today we have 26 Players on. After Olgledow_B9 is votet only 4 Player have downloaded the map the rest of clients disconnect from the server. After restart steam download works fine.

Another problem when friends, join over a friend, download dont start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We're getting the same problem with the redirect(2.FJg). Every time a custom map comes up, we loose the majority of the server pop. During peak times this is ok as the server picks back up quickly enough. However, during non peak times; the server pop just dies completely. Therefore, with this problem, we can only run custom maps during peak times :/.

Upvote 0
We're getting the same problem with the redirect(2.FJg). Every time a custom map comes up, we loose the majority of the server pop. During peak times this is ok as the server picks back up quickly enough. However, during non peak times; the server pop just dies completely. Therefore, with this problem, we can only run custom maps during peak times :/.

Hello! a possible cause for the number of server requests that is not appropriate (limited) to get a good redirection and do disconnect.

Upvote 0
I would check out the bandwidth of your redirect server.

the redirect I am using i think has limited bandwidth so if there are a lot of people all trying to get a custom map at the same time, some will time out and they will need to restart the game.

With custom maps 100MB+ your redirect server needs to be better than redirects from RO1 days.

Also, I would be concerned with UseCompression=true. I would remove that line completely.

Upvote 0

We are also having the exact same problem :(

Our redirect is backed by a 100mb network so our downloads are quick, but my gsp are only saying it should be good enough for a fair few concurrent connections......that's not much help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Server redirects weren't designed for the sort of loads that RO2 is inflicting on them, 5 or 6 people downloading 100mb+ files at one time is a whole lot more bandwidth than was expected, and so either you have to pay premium prices and get more bandwidth(although i don't know how) or players are going to have to learn to download and install the files themselves.

Upvote 0
so either you have to pay premium prices and get more bandwidth(although i don't know how)

That is probably my next task to find out.

In my old clan we had a UT2004 32 slot server that was full 24/7 and only had custom maps (50+) on that were around 40mb each and that never failed when new maps went on. I know the RO maps are much larger and of course you can potentially have 64 players requesting the download, but I am still suprised we are having these issues..........but then I know **** all about network infrastructure :(

Maybe, we as a community, should think about focusing our efforts on creating a site like Shakeandbakes (if not his site) that is the central point for map downloads that all us server admins advertise and push via server messages, forums, steam groups etc which people would then know to goto in order to download the very latest maps/versions. Then any mappers could get their maps on that site first before advertising the release here....

But then I guess that hosting site would experience bandwidth issues too...

Upvote 0
That is probably my next task to find out.

In my old clan we had a UT2004 32 slot server that was full 24/7 and only had custom maps (50+) on that were around 40mb each and that never failed when new maps went on. I know the RO maps are much larger and of course you can potentially have 64 players requesting the download, but I am still suprised we are having these issues..........but then I know **** all about network infrastructure :(

Maybe, we as a community, should think about focusing our efforts on creating a site like Shakeandbakes (if not his site) that is the central point for map downloads that all us server admins advertise and push via server messages, forums, steam groups etc which people would then know to goto in order to download the very latest maps/versions. Then any mappers could get their maps on that site first before advertising the release here....

But then I guess that hosting site would experience bandwidth issues too...
Not if the files were zipped, although that's just one more process for the clients to get wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same problem here. We don't put custom maps in the rotation because people get disconnected on the first download. They get to 50-80% after 2 minutes, then get disconnected. They have to close RO2 and restart it again. We tried two different redirect servers with AllowDownloads True and False.

Code:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=False
AllowPeerConnections=False
AllowPeerVoice=False
ConnectionTimeout=5000.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=40000
MaxInternetClientRate=400000
RelevantTimeout=15.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=40
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://xx.xx.xx.xx/Ro2/

Why are they disconnecting anyway? Download should retry without having to restart the game.

TWI INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am also reluctant to run the current crop of custom maps because of redirect issues.

I have found that as a rule of thumb server player numbers will decline by about 40% when a custom map is loaded.

I am so for custom maps and I will always support mappers and modders through my Ausise / NZ server, but if players are having trouble getting the content, be it through error or just frustration, then perhaps the process needs to be revisited.

I recall chatter a few months ago before the release of the SDK and first crop of customs maps there was talk of TWI needing to whitelist custom maps and having them delivered through a steam update.

I was against this at the time as I feel it takes so much away from the mapper and server managers, but maybe this is what needs to happen to a few maps each month.

Maybe TWI needs to select a few custom maps each month to be included in a RO2 steam update. That way all players are going to get them and server operators are more likely to include them in their regular rotation.

I was so against this at first as it forces map downloads on people, but now I am reconsidering my position.

Maybe TWI could include a few custom maps in their steam update once the map is through beta stage. I don't know just putting the idea out as the current way seems to be troubled.

Reactions: Dietl
Upvote 0
I was so against this at first as it forces map downloads on people, but now I am reconsidering my position.

Before reconsidering we should wait for TWI to investigate this problem. It is probably on their side, not ours. If only they would reply to this thread to say that they take that issue seriously...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Nomad
Upvote 0