• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2: Ostfront '41 - '45

We don't need to wait for the SDK. We already have the editor and code for Ostfront, plus we can use the UDK to test. The shot I posted above is a port of Fuhrerbunker into the UDK (get the September 2010 version, as it is the latest one that is compatible with RO2).

http://download.udk.com/UDKInstall-2010-09.exe

Info
http://forums.epicgames.com/forums/366-UDK

There's a set of tools that make porting maps and assets into the UDK relatively easy. Maybe we could pick a simple stock RO map, say Ogledow, to use as a test base for our coding.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0.25a-09-23-2010?highlight=port+ut2004+ut3

The key to this is keeping it simple, not inventing new features, not incorporating stuff from RO2, just a straight conversion of RO, otherwise it will not get done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Homuth, there's a ton of information out there about the game code and how to modify it. I learned everything I know about it by experimenting with the RO SDK, and from the modding forum and Unreal forums. Dive in and start messing around. If you can already understand a bit of html you can certainly get into this. Its logical and pretty well documented.

Upvote 0
I really doubt that TWI will change the game that much, even though every post I see on Ideas and Suggestions is requesting this...The reason is basically because they're trying to appeal to a wider market. Thus you've got an odd mix of Call of Duty / The Battlefield series and RO1, really I don't think it's fully pleased either camp.

Modders are going to be the only real answer (I feel) to the problems we're facing, a huge group of people are crying out for realism and accuracy and I just don't think TWI is up for changing half their game when they've already sold (I assume) a hell of a lot of games.

But this is just my opinion and i'm being quite pesemistic about this, this game has pissed me off quite a bit (excuse my language) and it's let me down. But I may be wrong. Still...hope you can get a good team together for your mod :)

Reactions: Landrik and DiBBs
Upvote 0
I support this as well since this would go hand and hand with Campaigns. I also heard that more tanks and equipment can be added without all the animation with somewhat ease, is this true? If so, honestly i would like to see this happen soon as well and work on the animations later.

I'm hoping the TWI will release a "Realism" setting for the game that includes all that we want/expecting. RO1 with more features and better graphics.

Upvote 0
Problem is using the word realism is subjective. For me the gameplay in RO was more realistic, and I believe that had something to do with the sway and recoil.

It made using the bolt hard and made automatics a close in weapon. Tripwire want realistic guns, but this has created unrealistic gameplay.

I be working on a map once SDK is released, but it would onlywork with a mod like this, so happy to release the map with the coding changes. I did that with Hubes Breakout and Real armour Mod that was coded to RO1

Upvote 0
I fully support this initiative and although no programming skills tench I can tell you some points that you can change about RO2.

1-The recoil of weapons, especially the semi-automatic rifles, and in general of all weapons, either as RO1.

2-The stamina, reduce it significantly because RO2 is practically unlimited.

3-When a player makes a sprint just after can point with ease, please this should not occur.

4-increase the damage of weapons.

Upvote 0
I fully support this initiative and although no programming skills tench I can tell you some points that you can change about RO2.

1-The recoil of weapons, especially the semi-automatic rifles, and in general of all weapons, either as RO1.

2-The stamina, reduce it significantly because RO2 is practically unlimited.

3-When a player makes a sprint just after can point with ease, please this should not occur.

4-increase the damage of weapons.

I can't agree with 1,2,4.....but with 1 yes.....

so I think this should be the basic changes:

1) a bit more sway (very little) on full stamina and a lot more with no stamina

2) working damaging system

3) reduced speed of going on iron-sight

Upvote 0
I support this!

Take all the guys away from all the other mods to push out the RO that we originally wanted, before the other mods can get underway.

If the entire modding community made an effort on this, People from every mod and mod team, we could have this done just months after the sdk releases, and have our true RO game.

Upvote 0
I support this!

Take all the guys away from all the other mods to push out the RO that we originally wanted, before the other mods can get underway.

Iron Europe has been underway since 2007
Rising Storm since 2010
In Country Vietnam since 2010

That ship has long since sailed :D ;)

I am sure someone out there is working on realism tweaks but I wouldn't expect to see a MOD the size of Darkest Hour until we see what DH2 is doing :p

Upvote 0
Oh i have something else to add:

Getting rid of the Giant Red Exclamation marks from spotting enemies. It should only be present on the actual map, if even that.

I honestly dont like the spotting feature; it feels like the commander is uploading information directly to my brain lol

that is a server option. Find a server that has it disabled.

Upvote 0