• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2: Ostfront '41 - '45

Jorg Biermann1

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Buckinghamshire, UK
RO2OstBanner1.png

Red Orchestra 2: Ostfront '41 - '45 is mod to make Red Orchestra 2's gameplay more like Red Orchestra Ostfront. Ostfront's gameplay was a lot more slow than Red Orchestra 2's. It is going to be quite hard and will take some time to get this mod going but I am willing to spend a lot of my time to make Red Orchestra 2 the way that I and others wanted it. I'm also hoping to add more Realistic features that are not in Ostfront or Heroes of Stalingrad but that will come in the far future.

I am currently learning how to modify UnrealScript and I also know how to use the SDK. The current plans are mainly modifying gameplay variables of Red Orchestra 2. Hopefully this mod could move on to bigger things.

Current Ideas:
- Historically Accurate Maps
- Historical Symbols (Soviet Red Star, Hammer and Sickle, Balkenkreuz and Swastika)
- Attach/Detach Bayonets
- Bailing Out of Tanks
- More Weapon Sway
- More Sway for colder maps
- Realistic Gun/Squad Loadouts
- Better Suppresion (More like Darkest Hours)
- Longer Reloading Times
- Longer Aim Down Sight time
- Reduced Accuracy
- Replace Zoom with held breath to reduce sway for a short period of time

Things to Keep
- First Person Cover System
- Bandaging (Will be heavily modified)
- Wall Mantling
- Adjustable Sights

Things to Scrap
- Ranking system
- Unrealistic Guns and Attachments
- Spawning on Squad Leader
- Zoom
- English Voice Commands

Future Plans
- Add Gun Stoppages
- Realistic Injuries
- Uniforms will vary (Because Rank system is gone)
- Medic Class (Maybe)

I have some friends in the community who know a lot about the German Military in WW2 esspecially the Eastern Front so they will be the main source of Historical knowledge and accuracy. Would be good to get some more Historians who know more about the Russians. I also have friends who can set up forums which could be very useful if we get this off the ground.

I mainly got this idea from these Two threads;
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=65054
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=64601

Last edited:
Also i wasnt aware that the Waffen SS or fallschrimjager were in stalingrad; or were you referring to the eastern front as a whole?

But still what purpose would the SS serve? Execute civilians lol?

I meant Ostfront as a whole. Many Waffen SS fought in the Ostfront such as in places like Kursk, Demjansk, Budapest and many other battles. Waffen SS were frontline soldiers. There's no civilians in the game ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I meant Ostfront as a whole. Many Waffen SS fought in the Ostfront such as in places like Kursk, Demjansk, Budapest and many other battles. Waffen SS were frontline soldiers. There's no civilians in the game ;)

lol

but i mean how were you thinking of implementing them? Having a class called waffen ss or having an engagment between the waffen ss vs (insert russian unit name here)?

Also, was the equipment for the waffen ss and the fallschrimjager different than the Wehrmacht? If so, do you intend of reflecting that in the game

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
lol

but i mean how were you thinking of implementing them? Having a class called waffen ss or having an engagment between the waffen ss vs (insert russian unit name here)?

Also, was the equipment for the waffen ss and the fallschrimjager different than the Wehrmacht? If so, do you intend of reflecting that in the game

Well I'm not sure how it works but in RO1 the mapper could chose what classes and skins are added into the map. Such as in RO2 a mapper will be able to chose whether its Winter Skins or Summer.

Basically the same concept as that but with new Uniforms that will need to be made. Of couse I only want the Waffen SS and Fallshirmjager in Historical maps that they actually fought in. For example you will never see Fallshirmjager or Waffen SS in a Stalingrad map but you will in other parts of the Ostfront or Germany.

And Equipment wise the Waffen SS and Wermacht were not that different. It matters more on the place. Fallshirmjager however had the best equipment of the lot. Tonnes of MP40s and MGs, The Fallshirmjager were deadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquda
Upvote 0
As the word realistic is the magic word lately. I want to ask you if you realize the amout of work you have posted with your plan. Is your plan realistic. Are your goals realistic.

When I read "The Plan is mainly finish off in Stalingrad by making a ton of Historical Maps and full recreate the battle of Stalingrad."

A ton of maps ? Do you realize the time it makes to make only 1 realistic historical map ? And do you want to use new assets or you are planning to use the assets from the non realistic version, read Red Orchestra 2 ?

Not to mention the time it takes to create player models like the mentioned Waffen SS, Fallshirmjager and NKVD.

I like to have a realistic summary on your view on realism in the battle of Stalingrad and the implementation in a FPS.

I think the realistic use of grey matter got lost somewhere....

Upvote 0
As the word realistic is the magic word lately. I want to ask you if you realize the amout of work you have posted with your plan. Is your plan realistic. Are your goals realistic.

When I read "The Plan is mainly finish off in Stalingrad by making a ton of Historical Maps and full recreate the battle of Stalingrad."

A ton of maps ? Do you realize the time it makes to make only 1 realistic historical map ? And do you want to use new assets or you are planning to use the assets from the non realistic version, read Red Orchestra 2 ?

Not to mention the time it takes to create player models like the mentioned Waffen SS, Fallshirmjager and NKVD.

I like to have a realistic summary on your view on realism in the battle of Stalingrad and the implementation in a FPS.

I think the realistic use of grey matter got lost somewhere....

I thought the same thing, and I've also mentioned the RO2: OoST idea before.

Here's a simple list of things to do:

Modify the existing "Red Orchestra 2," gameplay, ie;

1) Remove unlock system.
2) Rearrange class/role system per map.
3) Possibly redesign current maps with great historical significance to provide for a more "tactical" feel, (adding connected alternative streets on the outskirts of Fallen Fighters, rearranging "Spawn Protection Zones.")
4) Create a static model for weapon handling/usage (remove percentiles bonus system, tweak weapon sway and its attributing skills to an ideal point).

Upvote 0
I never said this was going to be an easy over night project. I really only picked the name "Ostfront '41 - '45" because I want the mod to be more like "Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41 - '45".

I kind of went on a lot while writing this. I kinda went a bit too far while writing it. I sort of just wanted to attract people into the idea of what the mod could become.

The main goal for me is to completely finish off Stalingrad with maps but I want RO2's gameplay to be more like RO1s gameplay. Slower and more realistic.

Even if this mod never happens I plan on continuing Stalingrad maps, when the SDK comes out there's going to be a small announcement from me about a little mapping project that's currently being planned out.

PS: Drecks I just checked that link in your sig. Nice choice of Banner :D I also never knew you made Lazur!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scrappa
Upvote 0
it might be worthwhile to wait and see what the developers do with RO2 after patches/additional content before embarking on this mod. i wouldn't feel comfortable approaching ro2 in it's current state because i anticipate alot will change.

also, not to troll or anything. but if i wanted to play ostfront, i'd play ostfront.

Upvote 0
Ostfront is a great game, obviously or we wouldn't be here, but it's old now. Yes you can still go back and play it and there are still servers, but honestly the engine itself is limited. Flawed though RO2 may be the engine is still a work in progress and will, I don't doubt, become better than RO1, especially for realism and reenactment units.

So even though I know absolutely nothing about modding, this idea gets total thumbs up from me. A project like this would be to RO2 what Darkest Hour became for RO1

Upvote 0
it might be worthwhile to wait and see what the developers do with RO2 after patches/additional content before embarking on this mod. i wouldn't feel comfortable approaching ro2 in it's current state because i anticipate alot will change.
Of course there's no way in hell i'm touching RO2 until it is fully fixed.

also, not to troll or anything. but if i wanted to play ostfront, i'd play ostfront.

Well Ostfront is inferier now. It's too old. Modding RO2 could make the game great.

Upvote 0
I was just coming to this forum to post this suggestion. Glad you made it.

I suggest instead of making any maps, we focus on just the coding aspect, getting the game to play like RO. Get rid of the arcadey junk, get it to require the kind of teamwork we all came to love. Porting maps over from Ostfront is relatively simple, and frankly I don't care where it's set, Stalingrad or Leningrad or Berlin are the same to me if the game is fun.

Code the game to play like RO, you already hit some of the high points in your initial post, although I'd keep mantling and dump cover. Get the weapons and vehicles to function like in Ostfront, get the avatars to work the same way, and we will be well on the way.

Skip mapmaking (Drecks knows what he's talking about) and get the gameplay down first.

I'll help code.

Ideally we will wind up with RO2's graphics and physics, and Ostfront's gameplay.

ImageBunkerConverted.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ideally we will wind up with RO2's graphics and physics, and Ostfront's gameplay.

Now this is certainly getting interesting. Personally, I want the RO1 Territory mode back in RO2, and I mean an exact copy because it was brilliant.

Now I'm going to be ahead of myself, but armour coding something along the lines of DH would be a massive gain as well.

Upvote 0
SixTen that's great dude. Yeh that's basically exactly what I want. RO2 graphics and new features with the gameplay of RO1.

This mod won't happen for a long time of course. Still need to wait for the RO2 SDK and also Ro2 needs to get a stable state.

This is really starting to look good :D

Edit: Just thought too. Seeing as RO2 is 64 players. The maps that we take from RO1 might need some editing to basically make larger to play a bit better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0