• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

recent cheating/hacking trend discussion

Every game I'm on, there are people whining about aimbot or hackers...
As Beast says there are really good players here, won't name them, but you know hipshooting with a rifle is their bizness

Been playing for a while now....never saw aimbot or hacker on RO2....never got the real clue. PROVE ME I'M WRONG :IS2:
You'll have to go to the effort of clicking the url......:rolleyes:

[URL]http://www.ro50pc.net/images/public/ss1.png[/URL]

[URL]http://www.ro50pc.net/images/public/ss2.png[/URL]

http://www.ro50pc.net/images/public/ss3.png

Several on the aforementioned list are still playing RO2 on some of the more popular (After all, its no fun to cheat by one's self) and less 'savvy' servers. But then admins are the best anti-cheat defense, right? Anyone want to buy some ocean front property in Kansas? :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a pitifully small number of cheaters on the pbban list you know. 10 so far this year in total. We should be grateful that it is so small.

There is clearly nothing that simply "can be done" about it, which itself can't be counteracted. It's the whole point of hacking really. The New York Times website just got hacked yesterday. Their entire global multimillion-dollar business model hinges on their online presence, and yet some "Syrian" hacker took them out for 7 hours. Do.You.Want.To.Play.A.Game?

It's been years of playing RO, RO2... and I can't say I've never seen someone hacking because I'm not sure, but honestly I can't remember the last time. Usually it's some RO vet I see every day on the server, getting accused by his victims on team-chat of hacking, because well, he's damn good. There are a bunch of those guys around really. So I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

THX
I talk about ingame experience, what I've seen in more than a thousand hours of gaming.
But your list prove, I'm wrong.
But it's small.
Over 30 cheaters in 2 years. Not a big problem here.
Mostly americans.
Never go that far, except for custom rarities
None of the server I play are listed.

But don't forget that good player exist....and most of the time they are accused wrongly!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every game I'm on, there are people whining about aimbot or hackers...
As Beast says there are really good players here, won't name them, but you know hipshooting with a rifle is their bizness

Been playing for a while now....never saw aimbot or hacker on RO2....never got the real clue. PROVE ME I'M WRONG :IS2:

You'are crazy? As has no hacker in RO2? Oh My God boy, look for more information, I think that you're uninformed. :p
One thing is playing well ,another is playing supernaturally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'are crazy? As has no hacker in RO2? Oh My God boy, look for more information, I think that you're uninformed. :p
One thing is playing well ,another is playing supernaturally.

Just saying that on my personnal experience in gaming which is consistent.
Being also Admin for a year on LEGIO VII server (recently dead)
And kicking all the nazis, hatefull people and too much whinning sons.
I've been witness of accusation of cheating with no proof at all...
Chat polluted by absurde anger....
Mainly by whinners who can't accept to be beaten.

Ok, cheaters seems to exist....this list proves it
but I never got a proof while gaming.
Big kill ratio, fast running....never experience that...and I don't need to surf on google to make my point.

:cool:

Upvote 0
Just saying that on my personnal experience in gaming which is consistent.
Being also Admin for a year on LEGIO VII server (recently dead)
And kicking all the nazis, hatefull people and too much whinning sons.
I've been witness of accusation of cheating with no proof at all...
Chat polluted by absurde anger....
Mainly by whinners who can't accept to be beaten.

Ok, cheaters seems to exist....this list proves it
but I never got a proof while gaming.
Big kill ratio, fast running....never experience that...and I don't need to surf on google to make my point.

:cool:

Yes, you don't look, just look here on the forum or in PB'bans' ). For this reason, if you look, I'm always asking if it is possible to approve a TWI future one new anti-cheater :D, because the PB he is too weak to detect the softwares idiots that we have today in online games. Now that you have a vast experience in online games, knows very well that Cheater ends with Any type of game, because if it becomes horrible play with these idiots who use hacker. :(

Upvote 0
Yes, you don't look, just look here on the forum or in PB'bans' ). For this reason, if you look, I'm always asking if it is possible to approve a TWI future one new anti-cheater :D, because the PB he is too weak to detect the softwares idiots that we have today in online games. Now that you have a vast experience in online games, knows very well that Cheater ends with Any type of game, because if it becomes horrible play with these idiots who use hacker. :(

I'm by far more annoyed while gaming by kids anger management problem, wrong accusations, bad loosers, stupid chat behavior, music crap in voip... and endless whinning then cheaters.

But go ahead, make a more solid punkbuster, if this is really what we need now.;)

Upvote 0
The overview is a PBBans overview and it will only register bans from players caught on a server that does stream to PBBans. Sadly there are still a lot of servers that do not stream to PBBans. This means the PBBans overview isn't representing the reality.

Yes that's probably correct Ducky but the reality is also that RO1 & 2 has seen very few cheaters over the years.
I think its because the speed of the game is so much slower than most others. At least it was before.
We also have weapon sway, bullet drop etc. All of witch makes it easier to spot unusual and extraordinary events.

I think we also need to keep in mind when comparing RO1 & 2
That RO1 was not the same game in the later years that it was in the beginning.
The servers I played on in the later years where for the most part, well maintained and administrated.
Anyone who attempted to cheat was quickly spotted and removed. But it rarely happened.

A potential "cheater" (In any Game) is anyone with good reflexes, hand to eye coordination. But that's not enough by itself.
They also need High-end hardware, 120hz monitor, low latency mouse and all the ini & windows tweaks they can muster.
Anyone doing some or all of this will inevitably have an advantage.
But they must also know the game and maps inside out as well. Having half a brain sure helps too.
But players like that are easy to spot, at least if you watch them a little bit.
They are waay over average, most likely because of many of the above mention reasons.

But this is not always the case, people can still be uber good with stone age hardware and crappy reflexes.
I've often run into the same player over and over and thought, F... that sneaky little bastard is smart.
And I actually enjoy it immensely even when the "little prick" came out on top :D
Those are the players that impresses me the most.

And its something completely different than being out gunned by lighting McQueen in the staircase of Apartments.
Because of his Uber hardware and low latency reflexes.
Throw a grenade thru the window, shoot the bastard thru the floor, the wall, or celling.
And think of your bayonet as a short range, heat seeking missile.
That's usually how the "little prick" puts me down if I get too close.

We've gotten lots of new players since RS was released. And that's awesome.
But they've arrived as cannon fodder late into the battle, especially here on the East Front.
They can't tell Hero's from Foes, even up close, and they are surounded by Lv99 veterans with every weapon perk in the book, except perhaps for the antitank rifle.
Weapon perks is not that important for doing good on the scoreboards but many of the new guys seam to think so.
Especially when they get frustrated with low scores and can hardly wait to put a scope on the STG.

I think stats and weapon perks is a great incentive to cheat by itself, they want to catch up thinking it will make them better.
Add to that some frustration for coming late to the battle and not knowing the maps, witch takes longer to learn than the average FPS map. This I think, is perhaps two of the main incentives behind the little bump we have in the cheat statistics.

Hax and cheats are rare in this game, thank God for that.
What bugs me the most these days are the huge increase in trolls.
Veterans shouting orders left and right just elevates the problem and adds to the frustration.

iRacing has a simple mute feature that I really wish TW would implement.
If I see someone talking, like we do in RO2, I simply press the MUTE key.
And the same key if I want to Un-Mute the guy.
Witch is good when two guys have finished the fight over who's to blame for the incident.

Finding the right person to KICK or MUTE in RO2 is far from optimal to say the least.
The list of player names jumps back to the top every time something happens in game.
Witch means you have to scroll down and look for it again, and again.

I think RO2 in general is in great statue. Most players are well behaved and the gameplay is fair.

Still my favorite game and it keeps getting better and better.

BTW. Sorry for the long read :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the past 2 years I have seen FOR sure 100% positive 2 cheaters. Oddly both in the past 30 days and with the same stupid hack. Overall that's pretty darn good. The amount of people complaining about cheating has increase 10 fold in the past couple months. 99 percent due to them lacking knowledge, or skill, or can not fathom why they are getting slaughtered. Usually running the fast way in a straight line = death.

THe INI thinking with tweaked configs, not so sure that is a CHEAT per say. But can do strange things. Many moons ago....on a crap connection I messed with my rate setting for modem to try and get a bit better connection. For most games it really did not do much. But for OFP...well something was a bit in my favor beyond being awesome. LOL. Was it a cheat no... But sometimes strange things with that. Can work the other way too. But if 2 equally skilled guys go at it and one had 10ns advantage on equal footing..... Which in RO2 is RARE so do not worry about it. And I am not exactly meaning ping time here as client side detection.

I do think that a quality monitor sure helps in RO2. Does not need to be a zillion dollar one or anything, but a low end LCD or old CRT monitor may leave a lot to be desired.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to say that ini tweaks are cheating. Its not.
Its important that people are able to tweak the graphics so they too can have acceptable FPS.

Most graphics settings have a positive and negative side.
For some its a luxury for others its a necessity.
I think there's always going to be people trying to exploit anything to their favor.

But we already have a lengthy thread about this topic in the forum.
Its a rabbit hole of good and bad arguments so let's not go into it again here ;)

A Mute / Un-Mute key would really make things better.
And taking it a bit further is also an option to select a voice channel, I mean "What you Hear"
Team - Squad or public. Commander overrides all.
If somebody is trolling, simply change the radio channel.

Making it easier for us to Kick players is risky but its not working like its intended today.
Sure it works but it really takes a lot of efforts and complaining from many players before you see somebody getting kicked.
That stress and frustration is not good for anybody.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The overview is a PBBans overview and it will only register bans from players caught on a server that does stream to PBBans. Sadly there are still a lot of servers that do not stream to PBBans. This means the PBBans overview isn't representing the reality.
Most don't understand this or how it works, Ducky.
AFAIK, Evenbalance (Punkbuster) doesn't publicize the bans they make anyway. So unless caught on a streaming server, they'll not show up on this list. For all we know, hundreds have been banned. And one mustn't forget that they can be banned by punkbuster and still play on VAC secured servers. As I mentioned in my post above, several banned last year on pbbans streaming servers are currently playing on popular VAC secured servers. (To be fair, some have been banned by both. And while VAC posts their bans, Evenbalance does not. So its hard to compare apples to apples).

Currently, there are only ~34 non-TWL servers streaming. And of those, I don't see any full 24/7 servers. As a whole (with a couple of exceptions), the player base on streaming servers is small, sporadic and usually have players for a short time during the day. So numbers will naturally be small on the pbbans site.

Except for the blatant cheater that even your Grandmother could spot, the hardcore cheater wants to ruin your day and not get caught. Most are quite good at it. Its been my experience that Admins are the worst possible anti-cheat detector's there are. I can't tell you how many hours our admins spent watching players in CoD and CoD:UO. Even having the cheat loaded and watching a player for hours, there was hardly any definitive way of "catching" a good cheat. And we had way better 3rd person perspective views than we have with RO2. On many a server, many a good player got banned just for being good by well meaning admins.

I'm not saying RO is overrun with them. Only that I think its more prevalent than most think.

Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
A strange player with NO NICKNAME on Grain Elevator

A strange player with NO NICKNAME on Grain Elevator

Could anyone explain this to me? How did someone manage to play in the Russian and German teams at the same time, take several slots and also have no nickname at all?

Attachments

• 2013-09-22_00004.jpg
    2013-09-22_00004.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-09-22_00005.jpg
    2013-09-22_00005.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-09-22_00007.jpg
    2013-09-22_00007.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could anyone explain this to me? How did someone manage to play in the Russian and German teams at the same time, take several slots and also have no nickname at all?

They are different people. They have names which contain Cyrillic characters which the INT version of RO2 cannot display, thus the no names.

Upvote 0