• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism: cleaning house

ro1user

Jul 1, 2010
Realism is not so hot, like action game. For example see how marines clear house in Iraq. It is cowardly moves, many iterations, firing through doors, and finally - firing by large caliber through walls with partial destruction of walls.

Some gamers like more realism, but some gamers like hot game. Its different styles of game process. And so need to make both directions. For example it can do by choosing map. Gamers can choose map for realism, or hot map.

Weblinks:
YouTube - Marines close combat

Looks perfect to me, this is the kind of intensity we strive for in realism

I think the marines did a great job, its called risk vs reward, why put men at risk if you've got big guns available to you, blast away and identify the parts later.

The only cowardly thing I saw was the Muslims barricading themselves inside, you wanna fight come out and fight, otherwise Boom!

Upvote 0
It's also worth noting that clearing a house under conditions in Iraq are vastly different than urban combat in WWII. In Iraq you'll have platoon-sized elements clearing out small squad-sized groups of insurgents who are trying to escape and/or blend into the population.

In WWII, you had company or batallion sized military units clashing, with much more specified goals (holding objectives, delaying, etc.). Iraq is a much less intense action than the Battle of Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
Oh hell, this game would be more than just boring!

Standing around a little house (1 1/2 floors) with 25 men and waiting... zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

Than after ages, 3 of them try to creep into the house. Placing a fire-cracker ?! (at 1:22) on the roof. Than waiting again... get frightened, fleeing, almost stumbling and endanger your own comrades with this action (at 2:06), kicking against a wall (2:29), waiting, waiting,
going down a stairway (3:10-4:20), shooting and kicking a door, leaving the house and almost shot yourself in the foot.
(4:58-5:27) shooting down the whole house, returning an find 2 enemies.

That leads me to one question? Why?
1-2 handgranades would have done the job in less time.

Back to history. They called it Blitzkrieg for a certain reason....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh hell, this game would be more than just boring!

Standing around a little house (1 1/2 floors) with 25 men and waiting... zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

Than after ages, 3 of them try to creep into the house. Placing a fire-cracker ?! (at 1:22) on the roof. Than waiting again... get frightened, fleeing, almost stumbling and endanger your own comrades with this action (at 2:06), kicking against a wall (2:29), waiting, waiting,
going down a stairway (3:10-4:20), shooting and kicking a door, leaving the house and almost shot yourself in the foot.
(4:58-5:27) shooting down the whole house, returning an find 2 enemies.

That leads me to one question? Why?
1-2 handgranades would have done the job in less time.

Back to history. They called it Blitzkrieg for a certain reason....
You apparently did not understand what you were seeing/hearing. First they were shot at from the house. They encountered at least one booby trapped room when they first attempted to clear it. There were at least 3 frags thrown (2 by US forces, 1 by the nme).

I guess perhaps the biggest misconception is that they are playing a video game. Unfortunately, when you die in combat, you die. You don't get to respawn...not today, not tomorrow...not ever. Trust me, that is a game changing fact. Battles are usually won by the side that can generate the most firepower. I think they proved that point. Result = at least two nme dead, 0 US casualties. I'd say they did an outstanding job.

<sidebar> As was mentioned in an earlier post, too, this is Iraq/Afghanistan. Unlike most battles in other wars, the troops there now have strict Rules of Enagement (ROE). Currently troops must be fired upon, then they must able to see the person with his weapon in hand before they can return fire. And some wonder at the frustration of the soldier....

@ Pvt.Skoko
In WWII, all forces faced uniformed nme. Beginning with Vietnam, the lines were blurred between nme and civillian. That line has become even more blurred with this war. Personally, I don't think the teenagers fighting today are any less brave than those of WWII. (And that is despite the fact that many of those fighting today are not "regular" army but National Guard and are serving their 3rd and 4th tours.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As was mentioned in an earlier post, too, this is Iraq/Afghanistan. Unlike most battles in other wars, the troops there now have strict Rules of Enagement (ROE). Currently troops must be fired upon, then they must able to see the person with his weapon in hand before they can return fire. And some wonder at the frustration of the soldier....

A friend of mine who returned from Afganisthan in late\eary May\June confirmed this aswell. In case if they saw anything suspicious it was basically the same thing.

Upvote 0
It's also worth noting that clearing a house under conditions in Iraq are vastly different than urban combat in WWII. In Iraq you'll have platoon-sized elements clearing out small squad-sized groups of insurgents who are trying to escape and/or blend into the population.

In WWII, you had company or batallion sized military units clashing, with much more specified goals (holding objectives, delaying, etc.). Iraq is a much less intense action than the Battle of Stalingrad.

Exactly. The last time multiple great (I.E tremendously powerful; efficient, deadly, large armies) clashed was World War II. People seem to have forgotten what that type of war looks like.

@ Pvt.Skoko
In WWII, all forces faced uniformed nme. Beginning with Vietnam, the lines were blurred between nme and civillian. That line has become even more blurred with this war. Personally, I don't think the teenagers fighting today are any less brave than those of WWII. (And that is despite the fact that many of those fighting today are not "regular" army but National Guard and are serving their 3rd and 4th tours.)

Uhm, you mean because they know more ways not to die?

Bull****.

Last edited:
Upvote 0