• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Random Artillery

Isn't there random artillery on BaksanValley?:confused:

To be honest I don't care much. The chances to actually get hit are pretty small and I think it's worth it to make them actually feel dangerous and scary as opposed to random flak-fire in a background night sky in CoD which is nice too but not the same.

I realise it can mess up a game that is played to win though, as anything random would but it affects both sides equally and it's not that big of a deal so I figure most people should be able to live with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would say that if atmosphere is needed, the random artillery could be set to fall just outside of map boundaries, but still close enough that you feel endangered and are also suppressed. I think this is the way it is on Leningrad, sometimes random artillery falls on top of buildings, but it never seems to kill anyone.

Also sometimes random artillery can be downright hilarious in the way it kills people. I was playing a game on Stalingradkessel the other day, and I climbed on top of the assembly hall just in time to see the 3 guys camping there obliterated by an artillery shell. I suppourt random artillery when it uproots campers, not when it bullseyes me as I leave the spawn.

Upvote 0
I would say that if atmosphere is needed, the random artillery could be set to fall just outside of map boundaries, but still close enough that you feel endangered and are also suppressed. I think this is the way it is on Leningrad, sometimes random artillery falls on top of buildings, but it never seems to kill anyone.

You're correct about Leningrad. I also made the random artillery move up after each objective is captured so that it never falls near the Germans, unless they've pushed up really far or past the objective. I like random artillery as a concept but in game it has too many flaws IMO. It counts as a suicide, so you get -1 score if it hits you, and often you cannot even hear it coming before it hits you.

Upvote 0