• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions as I start modding...

halbridious

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011
Michigan (USA)
After months exploring this forum and after over 150 hours logged in KF, i finally have time and possibly even direction for modding. And by that i mean modeling, since u code and animations are still beyond me. but b4 i start, i have a few questions for senior modders, so i don't foul up and have to restart.

1. Where/How would i take a TWI model and open it in max? I assume i have to break open an unreal package, so what kind of program would i use? I just wanna take a look at the bullpup and some other standard weapons so that my model/s look and feel as TWI as my skills can make them

2. What parts of a gun need to "move" or be made separate? I understand that magazines and slides need to move, do triggers need to be animateable? ect. I don't wanna make a piece then find out half of it needs to be moving :p

3. any modding "no-nos"?

4. whats a goal poly count? I understand that it should only have as many polys as it needs, but whats the standard?

5. anything else you think i should know...

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me an answer :D
Hopefully i might have a working model of something in a while, idk what gun i'll even do yet (i have a few ideas...).

A friend wanted a lightsaber, so i might give that a model quick, and post later for someone to texture and code at their convenience. If i have time.

Last edited:
Hey Halb, I'll try and give you a few pointers.

I was going to suggest this a long time ago to future modders but most jump in at the deep end and start with projectile type weapons... but imo it is better to start with a melee weapon for practice.

It takes less coding, animation and texturing but each to their own and if you are thinking of a gun of sorts here goes!

1/ The devs have included a rig pack which contains the shotgun in 3ds max 2011 format. Excellent place to start to see how they have rigged the model to the hands and the animations in separate files.
Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the setup

2/ Each gun will have different parts and all will be 'linked' to the main assembely but you will see this with the shotgun.
You are on the right lines anywho, as you pretty much have already sussed out which parts need to be individual to the main weapon

3/ The only main no nos, that I can think of are, don't use the high poly shapes like spheres that Max automatically give you, or if you do, bring down the poly value to the point where you think you may lose the shape of the mesh. This will come with practice.

Also don't be too detailed, think about it methodically, if you can texture a detail in, then don't model it.

Also, don't rush anything, enjoy what you are doing and take your time.

4/ In the animation editor, you can have a look at the 1st person anims and their poly/face count (this includes the arm meshes!), so get a feel for what the highest should be. (select animation info from the drop down menu)

Remember, what you omit on a non-visible side of a model, you can make up for on the visible side, so it's good practice to delete faces that are never going to be shown.

This way, you can add a few more details into the parts that are close to view to give the impression of a higher poly model.

Other than that, there are no real limitations, but just be realistic as older machines do not handle high poly models as well as the more powerful machines.

5/ On the coding side, it would be good to look at each file of a weapon, i.e. pickup, weapon etc one by one thouroghly. Examining each aspect of where and in which package the related media is, i.e. animations, static meshes and texture files.
Open each package and examine how the texture is built using the combiners etc.

6/ Most important, have fun :) you are only limited by your imagination

Reactions: halbridious
Upvote 0
thanks Braindead. I found that shotty file, it will be good to be able to use it and the hands to reference scale. Now another question - the first and third person models are different, you say - do i have to make different models, or package them separately when its done?

No probs.

The 1st and 3rd are separate models. The 3rdp model is pretty much the low poly model you would use for the pickup.
It is much smaller and has a lower resolution texture to suit.

If you have a look in the animation browser you will see 3rdp packages for the weapons and see how low poly they actually are.
Or take a look through the hunting rifle package for reference.

You can package everything together being as its just going to be one weapon, where as the devs make large weapon packs so they keep them separate.

Reactions: halbridious
Upvote 0
Just a little bit to add. If you want to take apart ukx(Animations/Models) files from KF, you can use Umodel to extract the .psa/.psk files.

Thank you slavek! this will help alot!! I think i'm gonna do a Famas, since its such a simple exterior shell, and with this i can take the stuff from the bullpup and use it as a base/referance.

Upvote 0