• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Proposed tweak to Spawn System for better flow and less intrusive spawn protection

Seems like a pretty good idea.

Personally I have always had a problem where the attackers' new spawns are placed in the immediately captured objective (EDIT: Personally placing new spawns in the old objective is a poor design choice in my opinion). In many cases, as you described, it either kills the immersion or you have some forced spawn protection that hits the defenders. Then those defenders either just die or get shot in the back trying to get the hell out of the old objective.

Hopefully some form of your proposal is workable into the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall, I agree that this would make a better cap system. To be realistic though, this has a 'slim to none' chance to being added into RO2 because of the work required to code in a new system and balance each of the existing maps. Your best bet would be to add this cap system into a custom map, or convince one of the major mods to incorporate it.

As a side note; spawn protection should never encompass an active objective. This is a design philosophy that we try to stick to for all RO2 maps, although there are still cases where it occurs.

Objective A does not turn into spawn protection when A is captured by the Axis (in fact, there is hardly any spawn protection change once A is taken). The only objective on Mamayev that turns from an active objective into spawn protection is the south-western (towards the Axis) quarter of the Central Bunkers. This was done because the objective is very oblong in shape. If I were to push the Axis spawn back any further they would have too far to run to the next objective. In practice, all Russians will undoubtedly have died in that area by the time the Axis are able to take the objective, so it is not much of a problem. In hindsight, I should have split the objective up into two sections to allow for less drastic spawn advances.

Personally, I prefer to have longer run distances from the spawns to the objectives to avoid problems like this, but that does not fit into the design and gameplay style that was chosen for RO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarkis.
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input DrGruppy!
As a side note; spawn protection should never encompass an active objective. This is a design philosophy that we try to stick to for all RO2 maps, although there are still cases where it occurs.

It may indeed not have been 100% correct to state in my examle in the OP that the A-zone itself is hit with spawn protection, but a good chunk of the defenders in the vicinity of A will still get hit by it. My personal experience tells me that this is the case in many occasions, in many maps.

Your best bet would be to add this cap system into a custom map

I suppose this would require a mod to make it work? How much work would it be in your opinion to make a copy of MamayevKurgan (as I think this is the best map to prototype this suggestion) and implement the tweak?

Upvote 0