• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Project Aretha (working name)

Couple of points, the trader situated in the bar on the main road can be accessed by standing right near the doorway even when its shut, you need to make your shop volume slightly smaller so players can't use it unless its open.

Also those planks of wood between the two buildings is an ideal camp spot as the specimens have a hard time navigating to you, they get stuck in the windows making them easy targets.

Apart from those two things looking very good. :)

Upvote 0
Couple of points, the trader situated in the bar on the main road can be accessed by standing right near the doorway even when its shut, you need to make your shop volume slightly smaller so players can't use it unless its open.

noted, will be fixed in next release :)

Also those planks of wood between the two buildings is an ideal camp spot as the specimens have a hard time navigating to you, they get stuck in the windows making them easy targets.

We just did a playtest and noticed the same thing, this will be fixed pronto. I don't like camping spots :D

Anyhow, tomorrow, well actually today (8 september) we'll do the first update based on feedback given by players and our own playtests. Thanks and keep hunting for bugs and exploits :D

Upvote 0
Does this map add a new type of gameplay or is it just a huge map?

It's just a map with 95% brand new custom content. Just ask around if it's worth the download :) I, for one, think it is :D Just think foundry content x3-4 and you're on the right track

In playsize the map is about the size of kf-westlondon ? Maybe a bit bigger...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
your server seems to be down.

wow, i love this map
best map i seen so far. my new favourite map. although i will wait for final before sticking it on my server, dont want to upload 340mb several times lol
i could just imagine all the time and effect you guys put into this. well done and thank you for making a great map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey.

hey.

Hello guys. Well I added this monster to my servers. So if someone wants to play them they can get it there. I have 2 servers. One Hard and One Normal. See banners below. I will give it a whirl looks good. I also have a redirect on my server so it should help speed things up for new people into the game.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Played the map even though I should be in bed. Way to late. However priorities I guess. LOL. Loved the map. Looks good. I explored as much as I could. Played on normal server. Hard would not play. I was missing a texture file. I thought I got them all.

The only real thing that bugs me is the dock area. It is open and looks like you can walk down it. However you can not. I thought look at that down there lets go. I found out quickly that I could not.:( I would put some kind of obsticle there so it looks blocked off. In the heat of the battle you may run that way looking for distance and find yourself out of luck. :D

Just me though. Plus pink hearts? Nothing like big bright pink hearts in a zombie game to tell them where she is. LOL. Just kidding. It was a cool design. I am not to big on valentines hearts in a killing game though. Unless its a goofy game. LOL.

Over all very fun loved the enviroment. The car you guys made was awesome. Loved the custom static meshes. Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
So this map really got me going! I saw it was out earlier today and downloaded it and did a little bug search since it's still in Beta version :) And this is what I found out.

Exploits:

Alright first off with a exploit which can be used to kill the zeds if you are a team or if you are playing solo it can get you stuck. (Not that you are going to get stuck more than once but anyway). If you fall back behind the shelf behind the door (See pic) you cant get out and the zeds wont attack, they just walked around outside making it possible for me to easily kill them with 9mm or what ever. I dont know if the paths will cause the rest (the ones not following you) to not come to you, but I think they can see you through the door.
I did: Opened the door from the outside and jumped up on the sofa and continued on to the fallen shelf, and when I went in towards the corner I got stuck

And one more thing about that door. This isn't confirmed but I Think you can jump up on the trader sign on the outside (See pic). If you are familiar to the doorglitch you should know how (if not, open the door from inside and walk out one or two feet and close the door, and right before you get crushed Jump, and the door will push you up in the air. This was used a lot in the mod by less serious players. I couldn't accomplish it myself but just to be sure.
I did: I let the doors crush me at the same time, and then push me up over them instead of in or out. This isn't confirmed that it works since I only managed to hurt myself falling from high grounds.

I don't know if I should put this under bugs or pathing but I think it was vital enough to put here. There's lots of barrels in the map. you cant get up on most of them and there's no problems with the other. But this one (See pic) really stopped the game. I got up on it by jumping on the yellow barrel to the right and once I got up the zeds stopped coming. And the ones who had me in their sight just walked forwards and backwards like I didn't exist. After a couple of minutes a crawler attacked me but nothing more. Part from that barrel there's a couple (or one at least) of barrels with similar problems. They only seem to be able to kill you ranged. Like the bloat who first got a hit with his vomit but when he got closer the vomit didnt hit me anymore (See pic). As for gorefasts, clots ect. they will only come and stand next to the barrel.
One criteria for accomplishing this is that you pretty much cover the whole barrel, if you stand on one side they will jump up on the other.
I did: Simply jump up on the barrels from the stairs or from the yellow barrel on the right. And I made sure that no zeds could stand on it at the same time as me.
Finally got that part done :]

Pathing and smaller exploits-like things:

At that place you can jump over a fence which is covered with trash like an old ladder (See pic). Walking over was no problem but when I walked around on the ramp and got close or on the ladder I started to get stuck and such (in short it was a pretty bugged place. Once I got stuck floating in the air so that the zeds could come kill me. Well after doing all possible actions I got loose, halfdead). You might want to look it over in the game and you will hopefully understand what I mean :].
I did: Tried to walk over the fence along the right side of the wall.

One problem that i experienced was that when I walked away from the trains towards the office. The last zeds got stuck on the side of the train (See pic) This might cause some waiting if you don't know where they are. This was a little strange tho. As long as I stood in the offices (See pic) they wouldn't get loose(not for several minutes, but when I walked away (To the playerspawn area) a bit they came after a while (around 2 minutes). However, just to inform you guys.
I did: I came form the fence you climb over with a couple of zeds behind me and walked away in to the office the fastest way. Stood in the door to the office and killed the last (except the stuck ones) with katana. Got this to work 2/2 tries. And crawlers was involved both times. First time with one crawler and the other with one crawler and 3 clots.
Well this point was a little silly but I though that I could take it in the post as well.

Here's some places zeds got stuck:
(See pic) This is from that room pretty much above the player spawn area. Clots got stuck in the door pretty much.
(See pic1)(See pic2)This is (cant locate where this is but, the mapmakers should know :) But 1=inside the room, 2=outside the room. the clots got stuck and lots of more specimens got stuck as well due to the clots.

Visuals/own thoughts:

Ok Ill start with the thing i found most annoying. And it was that hole in the fence (See pic) that you can walk through works pretty bad and is hard to get through. Its not just to crouch and move.
I did: Just tried to get through

Lets move over to that green spot. (See pic1) (See pic2) 1, Should that dark green dot really be there? 2, yeah that looks more natural.

The dock. My first though when I saw the dock was "Love!!! Yes I want this!!" (See pic) But unfortunately there were blockingvolumes. I agree with THEDDLE there should be something that shows you that you cant go there.

And for one blockingvolume I found pretty strange.(See pic)

Doh!! Last one now :) About those hearts and stuffs, have to agree that I find them rather unsuited in this map. the map is Really beautiful overall!! But i think the hearts ruins the beauty a bit.

Finally. I only wrote this sick amount of critics so the map can be as perfect as possible since its one of the best maps I've played in the mod this far :) Now just two more pics I LOVE!!
Shot00144.jpg
Love that movie as well :D saw it just a couple of days ago
Shot00130.jpg
Who can dislike a map like this?

Thanks for reading :) If you did^^

Upvote 0
Anemia, thanks for the really in depth review, much appreciated! Zerreth and I will go over every issue you posted and will address them as fast as possible. Be sure they will be fixed in the next beta version.

The green dots on the floor you get in the warehouse are lighting bugs, sadly they just appear randomly in the map (there is another location where they appear). It'll be fixed.

I forgot about the ability of jumping on (trader) doors, i think i have a solution so even if they get on it, they can't proceed. If that doesn't help, a small strip of a killing volume will :p

Also Zeds getting stuck in doors is a problem which is a bit harder to fix, sadly the doors are too small to accommodate the AIs quest of walking into walls left and right behind doors, so the 2 zeds (and anything behind it) gets stuck.
It's being adressed as one of the major pathing bugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just gave it a whirl and I must admit, the best custom content in a custom map so far, it compares and maybe - from the sheer amount - even outclasses Waterworks.
Anemia addressed the door bugs already, you might look into some more.

Here for example is another one, spotted at the warehouse:
aretha_doorbug.jpg

Maybe you might want to revisit the general size or shape of the doors used on this map.

What I personally dislike and what imho disturbs the gameflow quite a lot is the storage room at the upper warehouse level.

aretha_deadend.jpg

Maybe it's a good idea to either remove it completely, insert a crawler spawning zone on the inside (the room may be too small for that though) or have an alternate entrance door to have at least two welding spots.
Otherwise you may find situations in which the whole team bunkers up in it and plays the old weld/unweld game.

The third issue I'd like to address is the hole in the floor of the office section that leads to a trader location:

aretha_holebug.jpg

The ZEDs there kept jumping into the hole and climbing the stairs again, never being able to reach you once the entrance door is secured. Maybe path around the hole and prevent zeds from jumping into it with a blocking volume, or simply close the hole as well.

Just my 2 cents for now.

All in all, if the remaining blank statics will be textured and those exploits and glitches be removed, you'll have a very polished, fun to play and refreshing map.

The Colonel

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Cool. Just to let you know some people get upset when you release fixes every other day. Especially on big maps. Takes the players and admins so long to set up the servers and so on that they hesitate to download the new version waiting to see if a fixed version comes out in a couple of more days. Just heads up.

Upvote 0
K, Server should be up in about 15 minutes once the download is complete. I'll have to tweak a few things on server settings, mainly just making sure that is the only map in the list.

Once again the password will be "lol" same as Zerreth's server.
Difficulty will be normal to start with.

IP: 76.103.108.223:7707
Located on the West Coast of the USA.

EDIT:
For some reason when I log into my server, I cannot move my mouse, and it has a prompt beneath my character portrait saying, "awaiting server status"
The only way out of this is to hit the console button, and type in quit, which exits the game. I've never had this happen before in my server, so I'm not sure if this is some new problem, or just a problem with the map. I'll try messing around with it some more, otherwise I may need to run the server later.

EDIT2:
Okay, whatever was wrong seems to be fixed now. Server is up and running well. Let me know if any problems arise again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am in the process of upgrading one of the <AKA> Battlegrounds servers to Beta 3.

A word of advice to you, from an administrator of a server. As pointed out previously, you have made changes to your packages which have meant the release of the next beta revision. This is to be commended as the map is getting improved as suggestions and faults are discovered.

However, because of the size of your files, this causes a problem as I now have to upload another Gigabyte of data onto the several servers that I run to keep up to date on your betas.

May I suggest that if you are going to release another beta, that you do not add any additional content to your existing texture or static mesh packages? Leave them unchanged from the previous betas. Make a new package (for example Project Aretha textures B4) that can be uploaded to the servers instead. This file should therefore be smaller and not a resource hog for my upload bandwidth usage (which is only 34kbs). It also means that players do not have to sit through another download of a 170MB file, when you have only made a few changes to that package. My redirect server will then not groan under the strain of the massive bandwidth being asked of it, and my bandwidth bills do not go through the roof!

When you come to the time of making a final, you can then go through your additional packages that you may have made, and tidy them all up by recombining them all into one package if you wish, or you can leave them as is.

At least that way though, server admins will be more willing to host your map on their server. If there are any more betas as large as this Beta 3, I doubt very much that I will host this map on my server, no matter how great it looks.

I look forward to playing it once it has all uploaded.

Upvote 0