• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Pps-42 vs ppsh

Soviet junior political officer armed with a Tokarev TT-33 Service Pistol urges Russian troops forward against German positions during World War II. The picture is allegedly of political officer Alexey Gordeevich Yeremenko, who is said to have been killed within minutes of this photograph being taken.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Комбат_(фотография)

Junior political officer ("politruk") Alexey Yeremenko starting an attack. An iconic photo of Soviet WWII cuture, comparable only to the photo of the Red Flag over Reichstag. Yeremenko dies seconds after the photo was taken[1].

The author of the photo - soviet war reporter and photographer Max Alpert - who did not know the soldier initially named (erroneously) this photograph "Kom-bat", which is a soviet military acronym for "commander of batallion". The identity of the person on the photo was uncovered 23 years later, when in May, 1965, the wife and children of A. Yeremenko[2] saw the picture on the front page of the "Pravda" 20-year jubilee issue dedicated to the victory over Nazi Germany. The 9th of May or "Victory Day" is an official holiday in former USSR and now Russia).
The photograph was taken July 12, 1942 in Luhansk (at that time - Voroshilovgrad area) in the area of ​​military operations, which involved the 220th Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division, which in those days the Red Army was persistent bloody defensive battles against superior forces opponent. The photograph was taken on the field near the village of Good (now the village of Good Slavyanoserbsk region Lugansk region) between the rivers Lugan and Lozova.

Photographer took a position in a foxhole just ahead of the defensive line. At this point, the Nazis began the attack, was an airstrike and artillery bombardment began. Alpert saw the officer and rose up at once to take a picture. At the same time a fragment of broken camera lens. The correspondent found that the film was lost and lost forever frame. Fiddling with a broken machine in his foxhole, he spent some time watching the situation, but he heard the chain passed: "Kombat killed." Name and title of officer left the author is unknown, but heard afterwards gave occasion to call the shot that way [1].
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spzabt/6078646328/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The PPs-42 was just a cheaper stamped steel version of the PPsHdesigned and built as a cheaper and easier manufactured sub-machine gun. Both fired the 7.62X25 Tokarev cartridge, not a real lethal cartridge as copared to the 9X19 Parabellum used by the Germans.

I still in game prefer the PPsH with drum magazine (LvL 50) over the PPs-42, because it takes a few rounds of 7.62X25 to 'kill' a target unless you hit a vital. 3 round bursts make life easier with the PPsH.

Recoil is easy, aim 'low'..and the barrel follows through target as fired.

The PPs-42 as well as the 'improved' PPs-43 continues to soldier on in the 3rd world. I have fire them in the service, were a hoot and recoil in real life was NO issue.

The tokarev is incredibly useful, it can penetrate according to some sources level 2 armor! But I must admit, despite the ppsh-41 being my favourite smg I do think the Pps-42 is the better smg, it has less recoil, is able to fire bursts and at long range accurately and the slower Rpm means nag amount isn't that bad. Although I would say the ppsh-41 would be better in game if it had more realistic recoil rather than the gun points at the sky in 10 rounds and te incredibly exaggerated visual recoil when put on semi-auto in the standing position.

Upvote 0
I always liked the PPS in ROCA and RO1, with the PPD my second go-to for the Russian SMG's.... Never cared much for the sights of the PPSH.

In RO2, the PPS is still my go-to SMG for the Russians and although I've only started to play again about a week ago or so, I have the PPS to level 42 or something.

Why do I like it?

I like its rate of fire.... I don't want a spray & pray gun, I want something that's controllable and accurate.

It sounds like it has some ballz when shooting it along with some good stopping power.

It has better sights.

It's easier to single shot than the PPSH or the MP40. Yes, the PPSH has semi-auto, but again.... sh*t sights and ridiculous recoil in semi-auto. The PPSH seems to have more recoil in semi-auto than in full auto.... which makes no sense.

The PPSH has a larger drum mag? With the PPS, I don't need it. I have yet to be stuck in a position where I had a gun to my face and my clip was empty.

It just looks better... like an actual SMG.

Is it historically correct to have it in the game?

I couldn't give a turd.... while RO2's based on historical battles and semi-realistic mechanics/combat.... It's still a video game, not a religion.

AVT40?

MKB42?

PPS42?

Grab yer torches, there's a witch burning uh' transpiring!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0