• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll time: Is KF a horror-themed game?

Poll time: Is KF a horror-themed game?

• KF advertised itself as a co-op survival horror, and I want just that.

Votes: 77 53.8%
  • I love playing a game that is all my favourite ingredients in the same dish, no matter how bizarre.

Votes: 66 46.2%

• Total voters
pretty crazy how you can buy a game and then have it completely altered months down the line whether you like it or not and then not be entitled to a refund

first world problems

I treat multilayer games like a TV series. They often change, for better or worse.
Our opinions of games can change even when the game hasn't.

A game changing doesn't take away what its given you before.

Upvote 0
I think Killing Floor should be like listening to Soundtrack for the Apocalypse: Full on over the top action intermixed with anxious anticipation. I found the game a lot more like Army of Darkness than Evil Dead from the onset when I bought it. That was before the first Deadly Xmas.

To me, the theme is broken when things get to futuristic or anachronistic, so the later weapon addons really aren't my style. That is not supporting a horror theme, KF is all about hectic fun. It is one of the few games we played over a couple of beers when we had servers.

Upvote 0
Funny skins should be locked to the events. The main game only includes "Realistic" stuff and funny/weird stuff should be only usable in events, like steampunk characters and weapons should be usable only in summer event.

Don't you think this would be a good solution? This combines both things I like in KF, the horror theme and events without destroying each other.

As an aside, I hope the STFA tracks are in KF2.

Demon Hunter is confirmed (Ramm's twitter), Ramm said he MIGHT write some music himself, but there's no official word on zYnthetic.
zYnthetic himself said he will be in, on his facebook page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread is appalling, but I still have a favorite thing about it:

You already lost. Everyone complaining about "KF isn't horror themed enough?" Yeah. TW doesn't care. At all. KF was never meant to be scary; it was meant to be a funhouse horror show that's way too campy to take seriously. There was never a major paradigm shift in the way you believe, and by the way - I've been playing this game since 2010. Guess who's gonna be repping the DOSH Foster skin from day one, too? Yup.

And for bonus points: TW doesn't even have to care about this thread. You can fume and fuss and whine all you want, waste hours on internet arguments, and threaten to not buy the game, but I've got news for you - you're on the official forums. If anyone has any illusions about their likelihood of buying the second game with that in mind, you should probably just go ahead and drop them right now. Clearly, whatever "wrong" they did wasn't anywhere near bad enough to put you off the game.

Upvote 0
I think the feel of the game was beginning to get ruined not just because of the silly stuff, but mainly the high powered modern OP weapons. Tier 3 stuff broke the feeling of hopelessness the game had, and went more for a power fantasy route.

I'm not gonna say the game was ever really "gritty", it wasn't, but having to fend off a horde of mutants with outdated weaponry had a special charm to it.

I have much better memories from heroic defeats, than from easy victories. Yes, yes I know you can still lose with the modern weapons if you screw up, but there is no denying that most minor enemies are now pure trash, while in the most early builds they still kinda posed a constant threat...

Upvote 0
I think the feel of the game was beginning to get ruined not just because of the silly stuff, but mainly the high powered modern OP weapons. Tier 3 stuff broke the feeling of hopelessness the game had, and went more for a power fantasy route.

I'm not gonna say the game was ever really "gritty", it wasn't, but having to fend off a horde of mutants with outdated weaponry had a special charm to it.

I have much better memories from heroic defeats, than from easy victories. Yes, yes I know you can still lose with the modern weapons if you screw up, but there is no denying that most minor enemies are now pure trash, while in the most early builds they still kinda posed a constant threat...

Yep. I agree. The early build had a sense of dread before a wave imo. Now its more like anticipation of getting the first kill with a party hat on.

I want the new KF to give me that dread. Those "Oh FCK!" moments.

The whole gritty thing comes from the old mod/maps really.

kf-2005bioticslab6.jpg

That style is dated. It's nice though that TWI is first going back to a core game with lots of scary and fast zeds. (That running Clot freaks me out :D)

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP. The mod had an actual atmosphere and you could feel fear as the creepy zeds were approaching you. The 2009 KF was OK, it didn't have any sci-fi stuff and just real weapons, military character skins and normal maps. The retail game (from 2009-2011) wasn't, however, gritty as the mod, but was fine. Now it's a total disaster, but it's late and unnecessary to criticise it as the damage has been already done. I'm looking forward to KF2 and have some hopes, though not high, that the game will have some grittiness that the mod had. The running Clot looked scary for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cookie

Cookie

I chose the third - hidden vote: Cookie.

On a serious note:
KF advertised itself as a co-op survival horror, and I want just that. <- THIS. I voted this.

I love playing a game that is all my favourite ingredients in the same dish, no matter how bizarre. <- I do not support this. Leave it to the mods/modders if you want nonsense. KF had a lot of it, and it was perfect solution - mods, that don't invade core game. Win/Win.

Upvote 0
KF originally had a cast of Soldiers and Police officers struggling to contain a threat that was about to engulf everything; KF today is full of chickens, robots, and other fun things that I haven't personally experienced for quite some time.

While not something I would call survival horror (Though the original mod could be classified as such due to the low ammo counts and difficulty), it is something I would call survival panic. While not exactly a scary game, can anyone who plays this game seriously tell me that they have never had a moment where the defensive line has failed? Where two, three or even four successive Sirens, Scrakes, or Flesh Pounds have murdered everyone and are closing in on you as you're desperately searching in vain for a way out? Those moments where 99% of the time you end up dead, you and your friends (If you're playing with them) usually laugh, or cry out in defeat, but generally you had a good time (hopefully). I'm referring to moments where you're in extreme danger, moments where you're going to die but have a few brief seconds to try and make an escape of some sort. Reactions to these moments obviously differ, but my point is that they exist and the general idea is that you see what's going to kill you, you can try to avoid dying, but you're probably not going to make it. Usually KF is pretty relaxing as you gun or slice down waves of baddies, but sometimes they get the drop on you and that's when those panic moments occur.

While these moments are still present in the game, the overall theme has been lost. The panic moments of staring a flesh pound down and turning to find two sirens behind you never left, but the atmosphere isn't the same. Rather then a rag tag group of survivors with whatever weapons they could find holding back the horde, you're a group of steam punk chickens firing space laz0rs and golden AK's and Flamers (Not even mentioning the fact that TWI used a very weak excuse to get around their pledge of never selling DLC weapons). I was fine with the early dlc such as the Fosters or DJ Skullys as their character bios made the whole thing plausible and I could suspend my disbelief for things like that. But there came a point where it was just too much and became frustrating to see Harold Lott comes to mind (That one just seemed like shameless pandering). Most people who are okay with this don't seem like they have owned or experienced the game when it first came out (These aren't statistics or anything obviously), but there are facts I can provide the are undeniable.

The fact is, my friends and I are no longer playing KF or RO/2 because of decisions made by TWI. We won't be pre ordering KF2 and I'll personally be cautioning most people I know away from the game due to decisions TWI has made. Is KF ruined? No, however it is for me and the guys I played it with. Is KF a perfect game? No, it has plenty of design problems that hinder it (Such as a leveling system that forces grinding upon people who may not have a lot of spare time, and that's coming from someone with level 6 perks with everything), however it was consistent with how it looked. I was okay with the themed events as they were few and far between and were amusing while they were there however weren't around long enough to become annoying (However plenty of people felt otherwise complaining about hitbox issues associated with the skins or their general distaste for the event).

The funny thing is I could see myself picking up KF, playing it, and having a grand old time if I had just bought it recently. I probably wouldn't be a fan of some of the things the game currently has, but I wouldn't dislike the game so much as nothing would have changed. The sad thing is nothing had to go in the direction it did. Had the game received new game modes, maps, and weapons that fit the original theme, I would enjoy it today as much as I did when I bought it, and if I were a new player I would enjoy it as well for the same reasons I did when I first got it. There wouldn't be a huge fracture in the community akin to what went on with the Red Orchestra community. It seems like TWI has a tough time keeping the players of their games together, hence why many have left or have lost trust in the company. Luckily for TWI plenty of new blood has filled that void and the general word of mouth still see's TWI as a good company. However much of that word of mouth is from people who haven't been with them all that long.

I personally won't be buying KF2 until long after it's out, possibly when it's on sale, when TWI shows me I can trust them. A start would be making promises that are kept and proving to me that they can foster a community without tearing it apart.

Upvote 0