• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Plea from rockpapershotgun

When you get suppressed in Darkest Hour, it can be frustrating because the enemy is still being rewarded for not being able to hit you.

Yup, that sounds like the reward of effectively suppressing an enemy element.

I've played 750 hours of Darkest Hour. I can aim against suppression pretty well, unless my position is being actively engaged by multiple small arms or a machine gun. It takes a lot of practice, but the end result translates to you overcoming the "seizure/spasm/control robbing" suppression.

Reactions: Oldih and NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
The most important part people often miss about DH's suppression system is that you don't have to aim spot-on to supress them back. If you're getting lots of fire on your position, pop up quick and fire off a few rounds to make them think twice. You don't have to hit them, just let them hear a few near misses.

Really DH's supression system is great. Even with rifles like the M1, it's worth it to just fire a whole clip into a window with an MG, often it'll allow a few of your teammates to move up. SMGs are very valuable for this, even at 100-200 meters.

People don't like it because it keeps them from being superman. But I love it. Once you readjust to the rules of a realistic supression system, instead of trying to play it like every other FPS, you'll do a lot better.

EDIT: Oh and for the complaints about "Friendly Fire" supression. Try and stand next to the barrel of a rifle or even better, a MG going full blast without hearing protection and see how that goes. :) Doesn't matter if it's friendly or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course. You're a fearless hero who trusts that a wayward round won't drill through the back of your head. And I'm sure at range when bullets come flying in you also magically know who's firing them right?

Check it out.

He's telling you that suppression is triggered by friendly fire. How did he know that? Magic?

There's this cool thing called "situational awareness." Sometimes you make a remarkable mistake, and that's when you're truly shocked. But I often find out that I'm quite aware when a friendly is firing at me and I peel a 180 and see exactly what I expected: a friendly. More often than not the dude firin' at me from my back happens to be firin' at another dude walkin' down the way and that instance, generally, is what I expect.

There's also an interesting aspect to the 5 senses which is that there are 4 outside of sight. Smell, touch, etcetera. You can smell the sulfuric kind of smell from the cartridges being fired, see the ambient light produced from the round being expelled, see the disturbance in light and of course hear the snap of the bullet and roughly, through subconscious calculations you don't even know you're determining, calculate the approximate source of the disturbance. And perhaps you'd be able to feel the disturbance in the air.

If a gentleman is firing adjacent to me with a trajectory aimed downrange, or slightly behind me in the standing position while I'm prone directly beneath and in front of him, I do believe I would know it. Because of this magic thing endowed by God called sense and this remarkable vessel in my head called a brain.

Listen to this. It's magic.

YouTube - Virtual Barber Shop (Audio...use headphones, close ur eyes)

Upvote 0
Not like how that PR video looks. Still looks to blurry, and for too long.

In RO1, the suppression seems like the player is blinking his eyes quickly when bullets go by.

When I flinch in real life (though I am not being shot at) it looks similar.

I think replicating a blinking effect would be much better than a blurry effect as shown in PR.

Upvote 0
The most important part people often miss about DH's suppression system is that you don't have to aim spot-on to supress them back. If you're getting lots of fire on your position, pop up quick and fire off a few rounds to make them think twice. You don't have to hit them, just let them hear a few near misses.

Really DH's supression system is great. Even with rifles like the M1, it's worth it to just fire a whole clip into a window with an MG, often it'll allow a few of your teammates to move up. SMGs are very valuable for this, even at 100-200 meters.

People don't like it because it keeps them from being superman. But I love it. Once you readjust to the rules of a realistic supression system, instead of trying to play it like every other FPS, you'll do a lot better.

EDIT: Oh and for the complaints about "Friendly Fire" supression. Try and stand next to the barrel of a rifle or even better, a MG going full blast without hearing protection and see how that goes. :) Doesn't matter if it's friendly or not.
YES YES YES! IS2 for you! :IS2:

As he said, while you're being suppressed you can still shoot back at them and suppress them somewhat, even with just a semi-auto (or several bolts firing at the same target). It actually results in more realistic battles---longer firefights. Firefights didn't end in RL nearly as quickly as they do in RO. That's because people WERE AFRAID OF DYING, which DH simulates quite well.

Upvote 0
Not like how that PR video looks. Still looks to blurry, and for too long.

In RO1, the suppression seems like the player is blinking his eyes quickly when bullets go by.

When I flinch in real life (though I am not being shot at) it looks similar.

I think replicating a blinking effect would be much better than a blurry effect as shown in PR.
The RO suppression system is a joke (but I'm glad it was in, better than what other games had---nothing at all). I've never once been affected by it. I can have an MG firing directly at me and easily pick him off with a bolt despite the so-called "blinking".

Upvote 0
YES YES YES! IS2 for you! :IS2:

As he said, while you're being suppressed you can still shoot back at them and suppress them somewhat, even with just a semi-auto (or several bolts firing at the same target). It actually results in more realistic battles---longer firefights. Firefights didn't end in RL nearly as quickly as they do in RO. That's because people WERE AFRAID OF DYING, which DH simulates quite well.

I think firefights last so long in DH because you spend most of your time getting there in the first place.

The respawning and 5k run every time is more of a deterrent than actually dying.

Upvote 0
I think firefights last so long in DH because you spend most of your time getting there in the first place.

The re.spawning and 5k run every time is more of a deterrent than actually dying.
No, even on small maps like Brecourt you have awesome fire fights.

And, oh, DH map aren't all big as you say. Brecourt/Foy/Stoumont/and many many others maps have the same run - time than ROOST.

The 5K to run is not an valid argument, I'm a DH & RO player for many years and your argument is a joke, really if you didn't like DH or DH suppression please find other really interesting argument, not that joke.

And yes, NoxNoctum is true : if fire fights are longer in DH that because of the suppression system. Good or bad is it.

Upvote 0

The respawning and 5k run every time is more of a deterrent than actually dying.

Depends on the map though, due to the ability to select spawns and map design. You can often spawn pretty far forward. Too much actually often so you nearly get shot right in your spawn ;).

So at least on schutzesepp style infantry maps you can get into the action probably quicker than in regular Roost, while the maps do actually allow for more freedom of movement as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That's probably because you're playing the ****e maps in DH (of which there are many). Try playing the following: Stoumont, LaGleize, BoisJacques, Raids, Stavelot, Cheneux, Noville, Foy. Basically if it's made by Schutzesepp, it's good, if it's not made by him, it's bad, with a couple exceptions.

Upvote 0
The 5K to run is not an valid argument, I'm a DH & RO player for many years and your argument is a joke, really if you didn't like DH or DH suppression please find other really interesting argument, not that joke.

Sure my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm being sincere about the running time. Maybe some DH maps have it right, and yes I agree the flow of some like Foy are decent, but most of them force players to run quite a bit.

Sometimes to the point of avatar exhaustion before even getting to the fighting.

It's why I believe DH is primarily a tanker's game.

Upvote 0
And yet I prefer semi-sprawling DH maps (Infantry maps, and even most of DH's tank maps have decent infantry combat) to RO's pocket maps. It's really all about your tastes. The advancing spawn (A and B) that have become the SchutzeSepp (though other DH mappers have adopted this, such as Putot En Bessin by Akyo) trademark. It allows historical scenarios to be created in the form of entire villages, which is a great boon to immersion.

I once read a review of DH where the author didn't like it as much as RO because he felt he was fighting less important battles compared to say... Berezina. Even though that river took nearly a week to capture and involved many German and Soviet divisions, you have the RO interpretation of it where you capture it in 40 minutes.

Now don't get me wrong, Berezina is in my top 5 favorite RO maps, but I'm a real stickler for historical accuracy. And for that, only DH can satisfy my tastes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0