• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistoleer Perk

Personally I'd like the Tier 3 to be a S&W Model 29 like this:

.44 Magnum, awww yeah.

image4zx.jpg

That's bigger, and looks so ****ing awesome that it chews your face off!

Upvote 0
Gunslinger:
[suggested level layout]

So, in addition to speedy reloads and more damage you get, what? A rip of the 'Zerk perk benefits? Inability to be grabbed and bile resistance are 'Zerker things, if I recall correctly, and they don't really seem to be anything a Pistoleer would need (he may be close, but really, so is the Support and he doesn't rip off the poor 'Zerker...).

Alt-fire switch is mildly interesting an idea but kinda superfluous when you can just use your number keys instead, no?

Wait a tic - movement speed in there too?

Now we're some sort of Medic/Zerk combo with pistols? Yeah. I'm not feelin' it.

Someone else mentioned something about ZED time, which seems a more interesting gimmick that ripping **** wholesale from medics and zerkers.

Well, a big reason behind my proposition, is to take a weapon that's actually not the most accurate in reality (HC) from the Sharpshooter, and move it and the other perkless weapons to their own perk.

Eh? What other perkless weapons? There are none, now that the 9mm's integrated into the Sharpshooter.

Oh, and all of y'all suggesting revolvers?

Where's the love for the Webley, man? We're shooting up zombies in London for pete's sake. Get some fine *** British revolver action going on. :p

Upvote 0
Yeah, since it would be better for alot of situations and it has 15 bullets in 1 magazine and a revolver has a max up to 8 :p
A G18 would likely utilize a 33 round magazine and, while a revolver could hold 8 (or more) rounds, if a revolver is added it would likely be double action with a capacity of 6 rounds.

Upvote 0
Should add really heavy pistols (that can be dual-wielded, of course) chambered in something awesome like .500, .454 Casull, etc.

I've always been favorable to a Gunslinger perk. It's probably the last thing that can obviously be added before Tripwire has to put their thinking cap on and come up with some awesome stuff. (Bonus, 2/3rds of the weapons are already there.)

They should get a greatly increased (higher than Commando) pistol reload to make dual wielding actually possible, and the should eventually get something like 100-300% pistol ammo. The Tier 3 pistols (when dual-wielded) could be relatively heavy, perhaps 4 blocks each to keep things balanced.

Upvote 0
Eh? What other perkless weapons? There are none, now that the 9mm's integrated into the Sharpshooter.

Well that's news to me. Whatever. Pistols don't fit the Sharpshooter image.

Webleys are neat and everything, but they're hardly something one looks at and thinks "ooh that's some powerful stuff right there."

Just give me my Z-day Dirty Harry and I'll be happy.

Upvote 0
Revolvers go as high as ten rounds as far as I've seen. I recall seeing one or two 12 round revolvers, although those are rare.

But the more common have 6 rounds, hence why they're most likely to appear.

As for reloads, that is easily solved by moon clips.

While it could be practical to reload with moon clips, it may unbalance the game, because it's quite fast to reload with moon clips. And the revolvers would be very powerful.

Upvote 0
So, in addition to speedy reloads and more damage you get, what? A rip of the 'Zerk perk benefits? Inability to be grabbed and bile resistance are 'Zerker things, if I recall correctly, and they don't really seem to be anything a Pistoleer would need (he may be close, but really, so is the Support and he doesn't rip off the poor 'Zerker...).

Alt-fire switch is mildly interesting an idea but kinda superfluous when you can just use your number keys instead, no?

Wait a tic - movement speed in there too?

Now we're some sort of Medic/Zerk combo with pistols? Yeah. I'm not feelin' it.

Someone else mentioned something about ZED time, which seems a more interesting gimmick that ripping **** wholesale from medics and zerkers.

Oh, and all of y'all suggesting revolvers?

Where's the love for the Webley, man? We're shooting up zombies in London for pete's sake. Get some fine *** British revolver action going on. :p

I mentioned earlier in the thread that perhaps we could replace the Berserker, combining the two to make a badass melee/medium range hybrid ZED time monster.

Upvote 0
which in turn might actually rejuvinate the zerk class. In all honesty I dont even see why it exists in the first place, with the availability of guns, wouldent you use a gun?

Guns take ammo, Swords and axes don't

As for this perk, a Tough, fast-moving pistol perk is actually a damn cool idea to me

Keep the zerker melee and add something like this for it's ranged counterpart and you've got a pretty good set going

Upvote 0
Not the worst idea ever, although I can't see where the perk would be useful tbh.

Pistols aren't very damaging as a rule of thumb, so using a Pistoleer to take out scrakes, fleshies and husks is a little out there. That leaves the perk as a crowd control class.

Hoooooooooowever - The commando has the high ammo capacity and rapid fire crowd control, the support spec uses penetration and single shotgun shots to rip through groups, the firebug weakens massive groups of foes rapidly with large AoE, the demo offers long range spread damage crowd control.

However you slice it the Pistoleer would not be able to out function any other class without making it unrealistic. I personally wouldn't mind a pistol class, it does have that aura of finesse about it, but sadly I just can't help but think the other classes would simply dominate the field. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah that's true it probably wouldn't be the most powerful, but that would mean damage bonuses are a must along with increased ammunition.

That way people can spam dual Deagles without misleading the team with their Sharpshooter icon.

I figure Pistoleers/Gunslingers would be similar in performance to Support, with more emphasis on single targets.

Upvote 0
Well that's news to me. Whatever. Pistols don't fit the Sharpshooter image.

I think they fit just fine. A sharpshooter seems, to me, the kind of person that could maximize the damage of a pistol by aiming for the right spots. Like the head.

Webleys are neat and everything, but they're hardly something one looks at and thinks "ooh that's some powerful stuff right there."

Eh? It fires .455 Webley (which is more or less a .45) and is considered the "British Peacemaker" which more or less means it's the British equivalent of the Single Action Army that was so popular in the US.

It's no S&W .500, but it's certainly no pushover by any means.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that perhaps we could replace the Berserker, combining the two to make a badass melee/medium range hybrid ZED time monster.

A possibility, though the Zerker would have a simply retardedly huge arsenal compared to everyone else then.

true zerethon, but it should have been easy to predict that everything would be riddled full of bullets before the zerker could get to it, and that his team would hate him because all of his dancing routines and getting in everyone elses way causes them to loose ammo ( as teamates block your fire )

Riddled full of bullets, yes, unless it's a Scrake or Fleshpound. Zerkers pull double duty - they're crowd sweepers like the Commando, Firebug and Support (to a lesser degree) and they're designed to destroy big targets.

Up until the chainsaw nerf recently, a Zerker with a chainsaw was a death sentence for a Flesh Pound so long as the team could hold their fire and let the 'Zerk chew it's head right off.

Upvote 0
Up until the chainsaw nerf recently, a Zerker with a chainsaw was a death sentence for a Flesh Pound so long as the team could hold their fire and let the 'Zerk chew it's head right off.

And even still, a good zerker will find and trap big ZED's like FP's and scrakes (especially on sui) so the rest of the team can prepare for it (Find it, trap it, tell teammates where it's coming from or, Pipe the door and laugh)

Now we just katana/chainsaw the little crap sneaking up on people and the above, it's a "Meh" niche but it's a fun perk to play

Upvote 0
I think they fit just fine. A sharpshooter seems, to me, the kind of person that could maximize the damage of a pistol by aiming for the right spots. Like the head.

The problem I have is "Sharpshooter" implies long range accuracy. Yes a marksman could make great shots with pistols, but that still doesn't mean a .50 caliber Desert Eagle is going to hit a zed in his crown from 3 blocks away. Same goes for the 9mm Berettas.

Sharpshooters also have other weapons that capitalize on longer range, most notably the crossbow. It doesn't seem right to give them the advantage at close range with pistols, too.

Upvote 0
A 'sharpshooter' seems, to me, the kind of person who mostly uses high damage, slow firerate weapons such as rifles (or a crossbow if you have to).
And no handguns.

I mean did you honestly think 'ah, this guys job certainly is to wield pistols' when you first heard this perks name?

Last edited:
Upvote 0