• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistoleer Perk

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
Well, I'd hope this is kinda self explanatory, but the perk would gain benefits from using the pistols we have in the game. Increased damage, ammunition capacity, accuracy, etc. Recoil and reload time reduction when using two pistols at once would be a possibility, too.

Before you say it, yes I know the Handcannon is already being used by Sharpshooter. I propose we take that and move it where it belongs: in the Pistoleer perk. It always struck me as odd that with this game's moderate attention to realism for guns that the Desert Eagle was deemed accurate enough to be a Sharpshooter's weapon.

This would leave the Sharpshooter open for a new weapon of course, but one could argue that it already has 3 to choose from. Since many agree that Sharpshooter is already in need of reevaluation, this move could make rebalancing that much easier.

If this were implemented I'd also like to see the Pistoleer's most powerful weapon be a revolver of some make. Who doesn't want to be a zed killing Dirty Harry?

This would leave the Sharpshooter open for a new weapon of course, but one could argue that it already has 3 to choose from. Since many agree that Sharpshooter is already in need of reevaluation, this move could make rebalancing that much easier.

Erm. Aside from the M14's shenanigans, the Sharpshooter is fine, mate.

Anyways, as to the idea, I'm not a big fan. I don't see why pistols need a perk all their own when the Sharpshooter already has them as his domain. It just seems a tad redudant to have a gun who's sole purpose is "shoot things with pistols, and use pistols really, really well."

Even the Commando has his own gimmicks, like seeing health and cloaked foes. The sharpshooter has bonuses to both weapon damage and headshot damage, which stack. The demo and firebug get defenses to their own weapons should they somehow injure themselves, etc.

The idea needs more than "Shoots things in face with pistols."

Upvote 0
Dual full-auto Glock 18 w/ 30 round mags. Win.
Fairly sure you're referring to the G18's 33 round mags but yes, I agree. Under normal circumstances I'd scoff at how ridiculous the notion is but, in a game where dual wielding Desert Eagles chambered in .50 AE is possible, dual wielding G18s doesn't seem too unrealistic. If a "Pistoleer" perk isn't implemented, though, I think the G18 (single or dual) would go fairly well with the Commando perk. Like the other pistols, though, under no circumstances should it receive extended magazines- 33 rounds (per weapon) is more than enough already.

Upvote 0
Gunslinger:

Lvl 0:
10% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
10% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
10% bloat bile res
Can't be grabbed by Clots

Lvl 1:
20% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
20% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
25% bloat bile res
10% discount on 9mm, HC

Lvl 2:
30% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
30% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
35% bloat bile res
20% discount on 9mm, HC
Can change between akimbo and normal pistols w/ alt-fire

Lvl 3:
40% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
40% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% bloat bile res
5% faster movement speed
30% discount on 9mm, HC
Can change between akimbo and normal pistols/sub-machineguns w/ alt-fire

Lvl 4:
40% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
50% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
65% bloat bile res
10% faster movement speed
40% discount on 9mm, HC

Lvl 5:
50% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
60% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
75% bloat bile res
15% faster movement speed
50% discount on 9mm, HC
Spawns w/ akimbo 9mms

Lvl 6:
60% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
70% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
80% bloat bile res
20% faster movement speed
60% discount on 9mm, HC
Spawns w/ akimbo HCs

Role: Something like the berserker, since he's pretty inaccurate, w/ dualies and can run fast (and has bloat res, haha) he should be a close quarter combatant (surprising, isn't it?)

New weapons could be the forementioned G18 the Colt Anaconda or Sub-Machineguns like Mp5k.

What ya think?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nice ideas, Jelan.

Anyways, as to the idea, I'm not a big fan. I don't see why pistols need a perk all their own when the Sharpshooter already has them as his domain. It just seems a tad redudant to have a gun who's sole purpose is "shoot things with pistols, and use pistols really, really well."

Even the Commando has his own gimmicks, like seeing health and cloaked foes. The sharpshooter has bonuses to both weapon damage and headshot damage, which stack. The demo and firebug get defenses to their own weapons should they somehow injure themselves, etc.

The idea needs more than "Shoots things in face with pistols."

Well, a big reason behind my proposition, is to take a weapon that's actually not the most accurate in reality (HC) from the Sharpshooter, and move it and the other perkless weapons to their own perk.

If the Gunslinger/Pistoleer needs a gimmick, Jelan touched on the idea of Bloat resistance and moderate movement speed. Personally I'd go with something along the lines of easier use when using two weapons at once. Faster reloads, larger magazine sizes, less recoil.

Maybe to push the Matrix moniker, Pistoleers could increase Zed Time like Berserkers do. The floor's open in that department, really.

Upvote 0
Gunslinger/Pistoleer/whatever:

lv6:
(usual stuff)
30% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
50% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% more ammo w/ 9mm HC, etc (not to be confused with 'increased clip size' cause that would break into the commandos domain too much)
40% less recoil w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% better penetration w/HC, etc
Spawns with dual handcannons

(what makes him special)
Has autofire with dualies (so they're good for something)
Higher chance to trigger ZED time when killing something with pistols (cause dualies are meant to be fired in slow motion. Not to be confused with 'zed time extentions')
+50% damage with pistols during ZED time (Because guns fired in slow motion are 50% more awesome!)

Role: Having a ZED time more often which can then be extended by berserkers/commandos at the cost of not being able to aim at all with dualies (unless you know where the center of the screen is).
Also finally giving dualies a good reason to exist and being able to take out trash zeds as well as higher level zeds with well placed piercing shots but having somewhat limited ammo (150 shots with handcannon, less with whatever tier 3 pistol).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again, dual wield will reduce the accuracy significantly.

So maybe give M14 scope, take lazer away and give pistol lazer, so that dual wiel could be more plausible.

Also tier 3 pistol need to be less damage and more bullet per clip, so that the lazer will not be as op as current M14.

So in a nut shell:

Perk bonus:
+ dam
+ reload spead (roughly equal to current sharp shooter reload)
- recoil
+ ammo

Tier 1: normal pistol. No thing too good/bad about it.
Tier 2: HC, high damage, low ammo.
Tier 3: Some auto pistol or Uzi anyone. Pistol-wise damage, more bullet per clip, can be change between auto/semi.

All three tier have lazer on default, it can not be turn off to assist aiming.

Upvote 0
Most powerful weapon can't be an automatic.

Automatics are for Commando.

Pistoleer/Gunslinger should have a .44 magnum revolver or something for his big hitter. Maybe even a S&W 500 (holy cow).

Also, dual wielding pistols would make you "less accurate" yes, that doesn't mean it's a serious weakness. A Pistoleer/Gunslinger should be focused on putting out hits more than pinpoint accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0