• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance still terrible

Demoman Dawkins

May 22, 2010
I've not played in about 6 months since the game would barely run at playable frame-rates and I saw that a while ago there was a patch that apparently fixed performance for ATI users. Anyway, I reinstalled yesterday and wouldn't you know it, still runs like a sack of crap.

I don't see how this hasn't been looked into yet. There's been a few other people with similar hardware with the same issues that I have. To sum it up, running with projectors enabled kills my framerate whenever any effects are on screen. Same thing happened, and still does happen with UT2K4, despite having hardware that should run it perfectly fine.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 (3.2ghz)
4GB DDR3 ram
HD5750
Win 7 64 bit (same problems on XP)

So, it doesn't matter what settings I run the game at. If projectors are turned on, my frame-rate drops to about 30-40 whenever there's things like smoke or fire. I'd turn them off for the sake of performance, but then there's no blood or shadows. I'm not prepared to play like that.

So... Any fixes for this yet, or did I waste my money?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaecrius
I'm running 1920x1200 on an e8400 @ 3600mhz w 4gb ram and a gtx 460 1gb and I drop to 0fps with projectors enabled. The latest nvidia drivers helps a little but still it lags a lot w projectors on. So I have to play with it off. The only part that bugs me is that it makes the flashlight mostly useless and there is no more red dot for m14.

Upvote 0
Did you tried to go in the catalyst control panel and lower the AA and other settings?

capturevis.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, I'm bumping this again. I really want to be able to play now that the update's out, but there's even more problems than before. Performance is very much the same as it was, but now my mouse sensitivity keeps resetting for no clear reason and there seems to be some form of mouse acceleration, even though it's disabled in Windows and KF.

It's just not fun to play like this.

Just done a quick search and found this http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=46217&highlight=performance

Seems that it's definitely an Ati issue. Please could you look into it again. i know you already have done once, but the patch did nothing for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I consider it acceptable considering the engine can only utilize one core of your cpu, and is spawning hundreds of zeds constantly and having to work out the AI path for each of them, etc.

Its actually a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5.

It runs pretty well for me, far better then you apparently. (judging from your OP.)

What's your current ATI drivers?

Upvote 0
I've not played in about 6 months since the game would barely run at playable frame-rates and I saw that a while ago there was a patch that apparently fixed performance for ATI users. Anyway, I reinstalled yesterday and wouldn't you know it, still runs like a sack of crap.

I don't see how this hasn't been looked into yet. There's been a few other people with similar hardware with the same issues that I have. To sum it up, running with projectors enabled kills my framerate whenever any effects are on screen. Same thing happened, and still does happen with UT2K4, despite having hardware that should run it perfectly fine.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 (3.2ghz)
4GB DDR3 ram
HD5750
Win 7 64 bit (same problems on XP)

So, it doesn't matter what settings I run the game at. If projectors are turned on, my frame-rate drops to about 30-40 whenever there's things like smoke or fire. I'd turn them off for the sake of performance, but then there's no blood of shadows. I'm not prepared to play like that.

So... Any fixes for this yet, or did I waste my money?

I have looked around the KF's files. And apparently KillingFloor.exe is set to work in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode. If you remove compatibility, it should run smoothly. I did and gained a like 10-20 fps on new map.

Upvote 0
Ok, it isn't running in compatibility mode. I wasn't actually running in windowed to play either. That was just to show the the hardware usage.

As for drivers. Right now I'm on 10.9, but this has been a problem since I bought it. I've had many different drivers since then. I also install them properly by fully removing the old ones first.

Upvote 0
Ok on my system KF was also running like crap... never over 90fps and sometimes often at 30fps. Exactly the same!
CPU:was at 20% or so
GPU: 35%
GPU Ram: ~500mb of ~1.5gb

System:
EVGA x58 Classified 3
I7 950 (3.2ghz)
6gb DDR 3 1600 mhz
GTX 480

Yesterday I found out that the CPU is only running at 1.5 ghz in Killing Floor. So you just have to disable Intel Speedstep Tech. in the BIOS and everything wrok fine (300fps) :).
Idk if AMD also has such features but if it has, it certainly kills performance in KF. Disabeling Hyperthreating is also a good idea.
Or maybe your AMD has some sort of powersaving or so. Just turn it off.
If I'm right AMDs Phenon II is the counterpart to Intels I7 or so.... So they also might have such features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0