• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

People who say "left/right" instead of "east/west"

It's all about using common sense and applying the method that fits the situation best. I prefer Left and Right because I think it's faster locate and type. E.g. "Squad, flank right!".
Heres how I think:
Left and Right is usally relative to the direction of the next objective from the current spawn point(s).
East/West/North/South allways is relative the map.

Upvote 0
Stop that :p

Almost everyone has an onscreen compass so make it easier for all of us and say east or west when reporting flanks or whatnot.

:IS2:

If you're in classic, perhaps that would work, but it really doesn't.

Maps are fought at different angles and having to remember if you're East/West/North/South, etc. from map to map and team to team is a pain in the arse. I always found the compass as useless for gameplay. If there is no little timer like in the Mod or the mini GPS, then I'd rather nothing at all.

Also, I could be at one spot of the map and see an enemy to the West, but you could be elsewhere on the map and they could be North or East of you..... so then you look West and then get a bullet in the head from the North.

Though if you're with the rest of the team, facing a front line.... it's quicker and easier to say Left or Right than East or West because you already know what's left/right based on where you're facing and you don't have to look down at a compass to figure it out.

And maybe the target isn't West.... maybe they're North North West, or East South East...... :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand that just saying left and right may be confusing when you first start playing. However, I think everyone that has been playing can agree that they refer in reference to facing the enemy spawn. I find it easier to say and comprehend left/right flank then east/west flank. Each map is different so when some one says east flank I'm required to bring up the map to get my baring. It also becomes complicated on maps where objectives are placed in different orientations.

I know that west/east/north/south flanks are more technical and precise, but in the heat of battle I comprehend right/left much quicker.

Upvote 0