• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer Full Match - 60 FPS Capture!

I love how everyone complains about the sprinting animations. True they look a bit awkward BUT.....

How many of you guys have ACTUALLY ran with an assault rifle or a shotgun in your hands?

Because I have and to tell you the truth, you really have to rock the gun back and forth to get the extra momentum and stability out of it. Running with a shrapnel proof vest, helmet, a ****ton of clothes, 20kg backpack and a rifle with a loaded mag is ****ing hard and you need what momentum you can get, so you rock the gun as hard as you can.

This applies especially to woodland/snow enviroment, where it is naturally hard to run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My highlights of the footage:

- When the doors are breached, oh my! Talk about a flood of zeds! So smooth.
- Weapon and zed animations - superb.
- Really nice, smooth looking interface. If it's as responsive feeling as it looks, awesome job.
- Character chatter. Love it. :)
- Trader's voice is not annoying. Praise be! Her French accent is soothing and reassuring.
- GORE!

Lowlights:

- 3rd person running animations look off. Just doesn't feel right for some reason.
- The old technique of kiting the last few enemies still exists. I was hoping for some solution to this as it feels cheap.
- AI pathfinding a little quirky in areas (Bloat getting stuck on desk/bouncing around), a few issues where the zeds get confused.
- Some weapons/grenade sound effects feel a little underwhelming. More beef please.

Overall, I'm even more psyched for KF2 after watching that video. I can't wait for today's. I'm hoping we'll see some Sharpshooter/Medic/Support gameplay. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it seemed a little too easy to kill scrakes and fleshpounds meanwhile gorefasts, clots etc seemed a little too resilient.

This was my impression as well. Perhaps they played on easy mode, but there was no real sense of danger from fps or scrakes. They seemed all easy to take out with some commando assault rifle fire and a couple of berserker hits, while the "don't aggro the fp/scrake" vibe from kf1 seemed almost nonexistant.

And while the swirl attack of the fp and scrake looks extremely cool, it seemed rather inefficient as it looked like it was very easy to just step out of its way, unlike the old charge attacks which was homed on to a particular player and which could not be avoided.

Upvote 0
This was my impression as well. Perhaps they played on easy mode, but there was no real sense of danger from fps or scrakes. They seemed all easy to take out with some commando assault rifle fire and a couple of berserker hits, while the "don't aggro the fp/scrake" vibe from kf1 seemed almost nonexistant.

And while the swirl attack of the fp and scrake looks extremely cool, it seemed rather inefficient as it looked like it was very easy to just step out of its way, unlike the old charge attacks which was homed on to a particular player and which could not be avoided.

They were playing with lvl 25 perks on normal, and it is true that in KF1 when you were playing on normal as a lvl 6 perk, taking down fps and scs was never really hard. I mean, it doesn't look easier now. Moreover in the vid they were coordinated and when a fp appeared they directly focused on him.

Upvote 0
What kind of feedback system(s) are you TWI folks going to use for the EA? I figure something more comprehensive than forum posts and emails would be appropriate if you want to fully utilize the EA system. I've been thinking some kind of in-game feedback button would get you lots of nice feedback to process. And of course gameplay statistics could be used because often times we players may give bad suggestions.

About the vid, I think overall the game looks really good. I'm getting some KF1 vibes from watching it which is of course the best thing you could ask for.

Because I have and to tell you the truth, you really have to rock the gun back and forth to get the extra momentum and stability out of it. Running with a shrapnel proof vest, helmet, a ****ton of clothes, 20kg backpack and a rifle with a loaded mag is ****ing hard and you need what momentum you can get, so you rock the gun as hard as you can.

This applies especially to woodland/snow enviroment, where it is naturally hard to run.
It's really not that different running with a rifle in your hand. You definitely don't have to swing it around like a madman, that's wasted energy. The swinging in the vid looked a bit extreme. Plus the people aren't in army gear, just the rifle and a few mags doesn't slow you down much at all. Maybe if you take backup weapons into consideration too, but they aren't even visible off-hand.

The 3rd person running animations look a bit goofy, get over it. I'm hoping the first person animations look a bit nicer with a sane FOV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's really not that different running with a rifle in your hand. You definitely don't have to swing it around like a madman, that's wasted energy. The swinging in the vid looked a bit extreme. Plus the people aren't in army gear, just the rifle and a few mags doesn't slow you down much at all. Maybe if you take backup weapons into consideration too, but they aren't even visible off-hand.

The 3rd person running animations look a bit goofy, get over it. I'm hoping the first person animations look a bit nicer with a sane FOV.

That's why I said that I agree that the running animations look a bit awkward.
They just need to tune it down a bit and it's like it should be.

But trust me, you do need to swing that gun to run efficiently. You can run without swinging it too, but you'll be a lot slower than those who swing it and use it for the momentum. It's the same thing when you use your hands while running, you gain thrust from them and run faster than a guy who doesn't use his hands at all.

Swinging the rifle around wastes little to no more energy than just holding it and if you use it to "propel" yourself forward by swinging it, you save your legs from a lot of unnecessary work.

When you swing the rifle side to side while moving forward, you're basically throwing the rifle in the air and letting yourself be dragged with it, thus gaining momentum and losing some extra weight that the rifle brought since you dont have to support the rifle's weight constantly anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's why I said that I agree that the running animations look a bit awkward.

But trust me, you do need to swing that gun to run efficiently. You can run without swinging it too, but you'll be a lot slower than those who swing it and use it for the momentum.

They just need to tune it down a bit and it's like it should be.
I can't remember deliberately swinging my gun around a lot when I was doing my military service but I agree it would look fine if they were able to tone it down a bit.

I think their overly hunched posture is a factor too. I guess it would be fixable if enough people consider it a problem but I don't know anything about animations though.

But I can say everything sure as hell looks way WAY better than multi-million sh*t like Dragon Age Inquisition animations :D

Upvote 0
Game looks amazing.
-Think there should be more humor in chatter and callouts
-We NEED that cracking sound from headshots in KF1
-As many have said running animations are a little weird
-I also think that there seemed to be very little feedback in the game. Wounds didn't appear to show that you'd hit an enemy, there weren't any visceral sounds, and especially from the berserker there wasn't any real feeling of impact except for the sledgehammer's shotgun(Which needs a bit more boom sound IMO)
-The pod and arrow seem quite futuristic for a disaster. I liked the blood colored arrow and the rundown shops.

Upvote 0
My boldest quess would be during the next week, since they said in the interview that it's going to be released in the near future and since Yoshiro was being shady about the new boss just like in the gameplay footage that TWI had asked PCGamer to black out.

But as always it's a matter of speculation so it might take even till the end of April, but I doubt we have to wait till May (although it too is possible :c).

I made an account literally to ask that very question honestly. I just got back into KF 1 a few days ago after not playing it for a solid 2 years, just to find out they are almost done with a second one! And I am so totally hyped :D!

Upvote 0
- Some weapons/grenade sound effects feel a little underwhelming. More beef please.

This this this.

A major part of making KF1's weapons feel good is that there was a great reaction for your action.

The Commando was my fave perk, but the Commando guns sound (relatively) pathetic this time around. The Varmint AR-15 while it sounds okay for what it appears to be, it looks like one of those guns you get in games that you throw away as soon as you find an alternative as opposed to something you can use all the way through, like KF1's bullpup. Despite being the Commando's weakest weapon, it was loud, and it had attributes that made it special such as excellent accuracy, 500-rd ammo pool, 50-rd mags, and almost no recoil.

The 9mm sounds weak. In KF1, while the 9mm wasn't exactly strong, it was loud, it kicked, it flashed, and it had an audible reload. The 9mm managed to feel empowering. All the guns in KF1 felt empowering but I'm not sure that's the case in KF2, the gore and animations make them feel empowering, but that's not quite enough. KF1's 9mm shots seemed to last longer and echo a bit (as did all KF1 guns) but in KF2 it's very abrupt and "meh".

It's less like "A GUN IS FIRING, YEEAAAH" and more like "this happened". It's too alike to many other FPS games out there. The gunshot is underwhelming, as if its just a confirmation that it was fired. KF1 was sharp, loud, percussive, and winded down after firing. The new 9mm (and presumably other guns) sound like something out of Counter-Strike rather than Killing Floor.

I have fond memories of using KF1's AK. It was thunderous, as if it was resonating within the metal halls of KF-Biolab whilst spitting fireballs. In the videos I've seen so far, the new AK is more like a feeble chattering instead.

Grenades in KF1 used to be righteously loud, disruptive, and highly attention-grabbing when they went off. In this video it's like they're grenades from Halo or something, as if they blend comfortably into the background rather than intrude on your immediate environment/senses like a shrapnel-loaded explosion should.

The sharp, bassy, low boom from the Handcannon was very welcome. In Counter-Strike, the Desert Eagle had only a boom, but in KF1, it began with a swift punch to the gut followed immediately by the "boom" and most other weapons followed that trend in their own unique way. It was the epitome of "oomph" and it set KF1's gunplay apart from all others. It's like Tripwire had added all these awesome ingredients for great gunplay, but overlooked just one that they had already gotten perfect once before. I'm confident a Handcannon in KF2 will look absolutely excellent, but I'm not confident on the sound.

I also have yet to try the SCAR, I remember it being commonly used as a semi-auto weapon for chaining up headshots but I see the people in the video spraying it like just another assault rifle, with headshots doing seemingly little. I'll save my judgement til I try it for myself, but from the videos, the Commando seems to lack the appeal it had previously. In KF1 a Commando would pick different rifles for the kind of shooting he's going to do, but at the same targets. The people in the video seem to just be hopping up to different damage tiers for nothing but spraying.

After seeing the footage, I'm seriously hoping that the option to disable zed-time's visual effects becomes available. That bloom increase in the snowy map was close to unbearably glaring. Disabling bloom alone would be welcome.

KF1 got noted for its excellent gunplay because it was a highly sensory experience. This time around the visuals and animations have been hugely improved, but I think the sound needs revisiting, at least let me try it out first. :p

Regardless of my criticisms, I'm looking forward to seeing more footage and eventually playing. :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My boldest quess would be during the next week, since they said in the interview that it's going to be released in the near future and since Yoshiro was being shady about the new boss just like in the gameplay footage that TWI had asked PCGamer to black out.

But as always it's a matter of speculation so it might take even till the end of April, but I doubt we have to wait till May (although it too is possible :c).

I too would guess during the coming week. Or Soon.

Upvote 0
hey thanks for the reply munk, i thought you were all playing with controllers because when somone went through the commo rose, i saw a 360 degree tumbstick kinda thing. not to mention i saw plenty of bodyshots, but i guess pc gamer doesn't spend as much time playing KF as we do.

if those run animations are final, can you at least ask your rigging guy to move the first person hand rigs down when you run? surely i'm not asking for much. also i'm aware when i made my disclaimer red, i actually made it harder to read. my bad

Upvote 0