• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Patty life steal?

Some of the guys who I play with have noticed that when the patty kills someone with a melee attack, he "steals" some life back, ranging from 100, up to a couple of thousand, depending on what his health is at the time. We started up test map to get some actually testing done in a controlled environment, took the patty down to just under 600 health, and then proceeded to let him kill us, noting his health at each death.
As he killed us with melee attacks while his was on low health, he gained ~ 100 HP, while when he was just over half health, he was getting boosts of up to 3000.
We were just wondering if this was an intentional feature of the Pat, to punish a team for each death, or if it was an unintentional addition, and when it was added.

So far, the only thing to be learned from this is that aside from lowering your team's firepower, when you get killed by the Patty you are actually being more detrimental to the team by giving him a health boost; sometimes at the most crucial of moments. For now, just keep this in mind for when you are fighting him. I will upload some Screenshots tomorrow to try and show what I am talking about.

I looked through the code a bit, and I can say that the Patriarch does not steal HP, unless he somehow instantly feeds on players he kills. Zeds get some HP back when feeding.

I did find some interesting stuff, though. References to some sort of director mode, where certain players could take control over zombies, tell them where to go. Controlled zombies would get 25% more HP and speed than normal.

Upvote 0
Pardon me sir, but how exactly would one view the code for KF? I would love to update the wik,i and have some concrete answers once and for all.

If you install the Killing Floor SDK, you should get a KFMod folder in your Killing Floor folder. It contains the source code for pretty much all of KF.

If not, then you can open a command prompt in the System folder, and use the ucc batchexport command. But I think you need to Play a level using the Killing Floor SDK before ucc will appear. Just load any level, click on "Build..." in the menu, and select "Play Level".

Upvote 0
I can confirm that this indeed happens. Here is this nice chunk of code from KFMonster.MeleeDamageTarget:

Code:
        if ( KFHumanPawn(Controller.Target) != none )
        {
            //TODO - line below was KFPawn. Does this whole block need to be KFPawn, or is it OK as KFHumanPawn?
            KFHumanPawn(Controller.Target).TakeDamage(hitdamage, Instigator ,HitLocation,pushdir, CurrentDamType); //class 'KFmod.ZombieMeleeDamage');

if (KFHumanPawn(Controller.Target).Health <=0)
            {
                if ( !class'GameInfo'.static.UseLowGore() )
                {
                    BloodHit = Spawn(class'KFMod.FeedingSpray',self,,Controller.Target.Location,rotator(pushdir));     //
                    KFHumanPawn(Controller.Target).SpawnGibs(rotator(pushdir), 1);
                    TearBone=KFPawn(Controller.Target).GetClosestBone(HitLocation,Velocity,dummy);
                    KFHumanPawn(Controller.Target).HideBone(TearBone);
                }

[COLOR=DarkOrange]                // Give us some Health back
                if (Health <= (1.0-FeedThreshold)*HealthMax)
                {
                    Health += FeedThreshold*HealthMax * Health/HealthMax;
                }[/COLOR]
            }

}
        else if (Controller.target != None)
        {
            Controller.Target.TakeDamage(hitdamage, self ,HitLocation,pushdir, CurrentDamType); //class 'KFmod.ZombieMeleeDamage');
        }
FeedThreshold is set to 0.1 and was supposed to be obsolete. Looks like a great job was done at making said feature obsolete.

So couple of things:

• Health regained is 10% of the current health
  • Health regained is not capped at max health
  • Regained health only applies to total health, not head hp
  • Only triggers if current health < 90% of max health and from a melee kill
  • All specimens have this behavior

Here's a video illustrating the above. Sorry about the sound, forgot the audio channel wasn't active when I recorded.

Killing Floor Patriarch Self Healing From Melee Kills - YouTube

First death he was at the lowest health of the 3 tests, and received 1016 hp. At my 2nd death, he had more health than the first and received 2422hp, and 3rd death, I didn't hurt him at all which did not trigger a log message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the_more_you_know.jpeg

Killing Floor edition.​

Upvote 0
  • Health regained is not capped at max health
Are you implying that were a Patriarch at 85% health to kill four people with a single whirlwind attack that its health would go above 100%?

4*0.1*100*85/100 = 119%

Or would the health gain be applied sequentially, with the health gain from the first kill being enough to put it over the 90% threshold to ignore the remaining three deaths?

0.1*100*85/100 = 93.5%

Upvote 0
I think it's a pretty cool mechanic, intended or not. Extra incentive to not get killed :D But what's more weird is that it affects all specimens. It could actually rarely be a factor between survival and wipe when it comes to FPs and scrakes, too. Especially FP, where the extra HP stacks nicely with their damage resistance.

Upvote 0
That's very interesting. It could explain some of the seemingly immortal Scrakes and Fleshpounds that single-handedly wiped my entire team. Just one single S or FP killing us one after the other despite having everything thrown at it. It's quite rare, but it does happen. :eek:

The only thing that bugs me is the insta-death by one hit of an enraged fp that happens periodically (I had full health and half armor on a hard game and yet I was one hit insta-killed)

Upvote 0