• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Over 10 new maps and increased player limits for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

BT7: Lex built one for CoD:UO. We introduced rider abilities for many tanks to improve transport over bigger maps. He did some 23 models, inlcuding AT guns and mortars. Most were done for the map "Barbarossa" which is arguably top 5 in popularity to this day as you find 24/7 servers still running it. His stuff was also coop work with the "German Front Mod", still popular work. He then started development BEFORE RO:O was released. Tanks for this game are much more complex beasts and it took a long time to get it right. If we didn't give a rats a$$ it would have been release four months ago. The map contests fouled up time lines etc. and then the map pack pushed things back but it is being polished with TWI input.

As for CC, Lex donated his model at the point he was in development. I am sure that if CC had the resources to get it moving and working in-game we would have seen that by now. CC owns no exclusive rights to anything with the BT but are welcome to complete their development as they see fit.

Riders: Yes, it was proof of concept to a point. At the time we thought we had to create a new model from the ground up to allow for riders and the BT was furthest along. There are ample images of troops riding them. At top/combat speeds? Probably not so safe as you'd go flying all over the place. We joked about that, even putting in some karma threshold that would toss you off. TWI has already expressed concern of having riders so it is one feature that might be limited in life depending on technical impact to gameplay/performance. At worst, we could code in a flag to allow a mapper to enable/disable riders. Something to discuss.

I would hope mappers and players alike would appreciate new content that is available soon. Neither AHz nor TWI are forcing change on the other. It is a cooperative effort and TWI's experience is actually helping move things forward. The AHz team is lucky to have a good relationship with TWI and we sincerely appreciate their time and assistance. We have all worked hard maintaining open communications and working together toward shared goals. Hopefully now the entire community can have the benefit of those efforts. We know our models are the better for it.

Upvote 0
As for CC, Lex donated his model at the point he was in development. I am sure that if CC had the resources to get it moving and working in-game we would have seen that by now. CC owns no exclusive rights to anything with the BT but are welcome to complete their development as they see fit.

Nestor didnt say that or implied that, i think it was a mere statement that you were faster at completing it, what makes, at least some of our efforts, seem a little useless. :)

Im glad you got it working, if nothing else we can only learn from that.
There were still some other things i would have loved to worked on with you guys but got the impression that at least from Lex' side there was no interest anymore.

Upvote 0
of course that free bonus content is free ...
or you wanna paid mini expansions in style of EA or Oblivion ? :)

You paid for product with "certain" set of features and period ...
if You got more than by default (exclude fixes) then why complain ?

paid for mod ? who paid for mod ? You paid for UT2004 licence NOT for mod to MOD team
(if anyone here donated to TWI prior ROO then raise hand,
still i see no double pay as ROO got new content and changes worth price)

people have rights to ... ?
let me guess You got monochrome monitor in 1980 and today *****ing to manufacturer where is Your HD color support ? :)
Sorry for misunderstanding, but i said the retail product was similair to mod,and ppl still purchased retail version although they could have kept playing it free as an UT 2004 mod.Since there isnt any ppl left playing the mod version you can consider that whole community purchased the product and left the MOD version, this is called loyalty or support imo...
I was talking about the last six months,i said ppl have right to COMPLAIN,i didnt say TWI should implement everything community wants.
Is it really that hard to understand or is it that...

And stop comparing this game with majorstream games they have totally different markets ffs...If RO had sold more than 3 million copies to customers with an average age of 15 then they would try to sell "booster packs".
If you want to compare its update progress with something then compare it with a mod...

Or should i write game names that are kept to update??(for example CS:S,updated 29 times in 30 months)

Upvote 0
Sorry for misunderstanding, but i said the retail product was similair to mod,and ppl still purchased retail version although they could have kept playing it free as an UT 2004 mod.Since there isnt any ppl left playing the mod version you can consider that whole community purchased the product and left the MOD version, this is called loyalty or support imo...
I was talking about the last six months,i said ppl have right to COMPLAIN,i didnt say TWI should implement everything community wants.
Is it really that hard to understand or is it that...
SNIP

People bought and play the retail version not just out of loyalty (if they did, thank you peeps ^^), but also because it plays so much better due to TWI re-working the majority of the entire game for a year prior to release and our continued support.

Upvote 0
Nestor didnt say that or implied that, i think it was a mere statement that you were faster at completing it, what makes, at least some of our efforts, seem a little useless. :)

Im glad you got it working, if nothing else we can only learn from that.
There were still some other things i would have loved to worked on with you guys but got the impression that at least from Lex' side there was no interest anymore.

Yeah - that's exactly what I meant - please don't be offended. :)

Upvote 0
Do you know how many copies were sold? Do you know the average age of the players?
Well my estimate is would be a 5 digit number,i am sure it isnt a 6 or 4 digit number,btw i wish it were a 7 digit number.Well if you play an online game enough time you can guess average age of players from: ppl using mics,from intentional tks,from stat whores,winteamjoiners,ingamechat,exploiters,cheaters,teamplay level,ppl insulting some1 because that some1 has the equipment(plane or a sniper rifle for example) insulter wants etc. I would say average RO customer age is way higher than of BF2's.

yeah ok, but 50% of those updates were "Replaced bucket with plastic crate and coke cans on de_dust2. Also, fixed an intermittend issue with new players not knowing where their crosshair is by offering multi-colored sliders to make it more obvious"

Check update information of RO in steam(april 12 update,july 5 and october 5 update)3 out of 7 updates are only bug fixes.Btw every update is appreciated ,especially the ones fixing bugs exploits or enhancing gameplay are much more appreciated than the updates featuring new content imo.Since devs stated there would be also bugfixes included(lean bug for example) within the patch everything is fine for me like some others posted here. But i've said twice and will say again ppl have right to complain."This is free so stfu" is not a valid argument.

And ffs i love this game and just want to see it improved,it was the best 20$ i've spent in my entire life.

Upvote 0
In addition to these awesome new maps this will be an update to red orchestra itself with bugfixes and additions correct? Man this patch is
going to be HUGEEEE.:)
Thanks for all your hard work Trip Wire. You guys ROCK. :D

What new maps? There aren't any..just a couple of maps already available have been tweaked slightly. Misleading press releases FTL

Upvote 0
I thought you uninstalled, Jono.

Anyway, I'm glad about the release information. I'm still hoping to see more focus on some other issues, but they may appear in the fix/patch notes. (IE: considerable improvement of the armor penetration system)

I'm hoping the addition of 50+ player server capabilities and rideable tanks will encourage mappers and modders to start making bigger maps to take advantage of the increased viewdistances. To my knowledge, NO map has used the increased viewdistances that came with the previous patch, which is a real shame. Hopefully the viewdistances and more people will complement each other.

Upvote 0
What new maps? There aren't any..just a couple of maps already available have been tweaked slightly. Misleading press releases FTL
Is this a guess or do you have infos we all don't? 'Cause it seems there have been a few unknown maps in the TWI test server, and I don't think they would have bother to change the names of known maps before testing...

Anyway, lets wait a few weeks. As soon as the update is out everyone who needs to can still complain about whatever (as usual) :rolleyes:. But then at least they'll know what to moan about :D (not that such peeps really give a damn about the reasons... seems to be a sort of sport :p).

Upvote 0