• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics out of date

Nazarov

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Hey guys,

I took a hiatus from the game since i'm doing more sports. I came back to it and saw that there was an update...to my surprise. And the gaming seems to have changed a bit all the new guns and what not. How do you use the pipe bomb??
I think it's a bit easier to get the headshots now, but I feel like I'm lost. And FP still kills me even with the M14 unloaded on it.

I can't tell you much since i'm one of those accursed free weekender people but I'll fill in what I can...

Pipe Bomb works like a mine, but it needs a certain amount of seconds before it's officially armed and ready to blow(I think roughly 3 don't trust that though). They also need to be very close to it, not to mention it has a minimal required enemies in order to activate. Those minimals are...
4x any of the following: clots, crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts
1x any of the following: bloats, scrakes, husks, sirens, fps, and pat.

Note: They can also be shot(unconfirmed by me, except i know pat can shoot it and he's screwed me over more than once cuz of it o.o;;; ), grenades will not set it off though.

And that was you're only question...

though my tip for fps...pipe bombs, pipe bombs, pipe bombs....at least on hard-....i haven't played suicidal yet...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Two pipe bombs will instagib an FP or scrake, just don't enrage them and they'll take the full force of it. And you can indeed manually detonate pipe bombs by shooting them with any non-explosive weapon.

As for FPs, the one shot kill headshot trick no longer works. However, normal headshots work just fine, unloading a full clip of the M14 into their head will down them. Scrakes take even less to the head (note that the scrake's headshot hitbox is actually on the model's head now).

Upvote 0
You have to, can't stress this enough, HAVE TO, land head shots with the M14 on both the FP and the scrakes in order to drop them quickly.

On hard 6 man team, (level 6 Sharpshooter) it takes about 4-7 head shots to down a FP. And 3-4 head shots for a scrake. Aim for their mouths, and to know if you landed a head shot, you'll hear that splash sound when you shoot them. The same sound you get when you head shot a clot, (Splash Splash)

All the hit boxes are fixed now which is great. From my experience thus far, aim for mouth on all the Zeds and you'll see the heads fly!!!

Upvote 0
Its been my experience that a Crossbow is a pretty essential in the disposal of Scrakes and FPs.
Hard mode-

Scrake: 1 HS
FP: 3 HS

Actually, FP on 6 man hard only needs 1 headshot. Unless you're a lvl 1 SS or something. Think it's either lvl 3 or 4 for 6 man hard. Also, contrary to popular belief, scrakes drop in one headshot from all non-SS classes using the xbow in a 6 man hard game. This has been confirmed by numerous medics vying with me for those financially-rewarding scrake-heads. Need at least 5 for Suicidal, I think. Haven't really tested it out cos I'm not quite good enough to hold my own in Suicidal.

Upvote 0
Actually, FP on 6 man hard only needs 1 headshot. Unless you're a lvl 1 SS or something. Think it's either lvl 3 or 4 for 6 man hard. Also, contrary to popular belief, scrakes drop in one headshot from all non-SS classes using the xbow in a 6 man hard game. This has been confirmed by numerous medics vying with me for those financially-rewarding scrake-heads. Need at least 5 for Suicidal, I think. Haven't really tested it out cos I'm not quite good enough to hold my own in Suicidal.
Much appreciated - I didnt know the SS bonus was so huge.
In that case it appears I should stop doubling as a medic and scrake/fp hunter.

Upvote 0
Try westlondon, it's pretty easy to camp that gated area...made it almost through wave 9 solo as a level 3 SS :x

Upvote 0