• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint Thread.

Ok I just ordered GOTY was tired of looking for Resistance, can't wait to get this patched and play online! Do I have to download the patches or are they installed automatically? Also, whats with the multiplayer online, in the gold edition I just have LAN play option. Is that fixed in Resistance? Will I be able to play online like RO? And I bet nobody plays regular GOTY without any mods from the screens i've seen, am I right? And what was that mod in the first couple of pages with that real nice looking picture of the guy carrying the FAMAS? That looks fun! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a patch for the GOTY that brings it to v1.96. No previous patches required. If your internet option is greyed out you might want to check your firewall settings or your zonealarm as those might be responsible for that.

As for mods: There are too frikkin' many. Not a bad thing per se, but I think it might be easier to just ask a regular group of players which mods they are using and if you can play with them rather than downloading hundreds of mods, add-ons and missions.

Oh, and one more thing:
If you have a good mouse (say, >=1600dpi) you might feel tempted to reduce the mousesensivity in Flashpoint's in-game options. The strange thing is that this also screws with the accelleration so the cursor might not move at all unless you move your mouse with a certain speed and this results in very, very shoddy aiming and a feeling that feels like the game would stutter although it doesn't. It also feels a bit as if your mouse would snap to an invisible grid. Strange, strange, strange. That's all I can say about that.
Keep that setting at default if you experience any trouble and try to reduce your mousespeed elsewhere.
I have a Razer Diamondback for example and it has those on-the-fly sensivity changing function. I never use it for anything, but it comes in handy for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok thanks again!:)

Should I change my port to play online like it is in RO, get a list of servers click one start playing etc. I don't think I have a firewall turned on either. my current port says 2234 what should I set it to? Cuz when I click on multiplayer and that laptop thingy comes up, at the top it says network games on LAN. I click remote but I think thats to connect to a specific computer. Any tips on playing OFP online regularly and not on LAN? I love this game I dont know why I even ever uninstalled it lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't do anything online without an IP adress. At least not to my knowledge.
I played Flashpoint online once and it was without Gamespy Arcade.
Are you sure you don't have a firewall blocking the game? Maybe the default windows one?

I'm not 100% sure about the correct english words as I have a German Windows XP but you should be able to find it:
Click Start -> Settings -> Securitycenter and sniff around there, just to make sure you don't have a firewall interfering with your plans.

Also your router might have an internal firewall. Consult the website of the developer of the thing to find out how to configure it.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks murphy! I didn't mean like ME not having an IP adress tho, I meant like joining an online game in OFP without typing in the IP u wanna connect to. I don't think my firewalls on i dont think i even have 1, i guess ill call the company. Then if i turn off firewall will I see like an "internet" option in OFP multiplayer instead of LAN?

Edit: I think I know what u mean now. I clicked on windows security center, and it says firewall-off. So shouldn't I be able to play OFP online, but with the server list thing like in RO, not by typing in the IP I wanna connect to in LAN mode?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It should be like this:
You start the game, select "Multiplayer" and then you chose "Adress: Internet". Maybe it sais Adress:Lan. In that case, simply click on it to change it.
Then a small whitish gauge should load up at the buttom left corner of the screen below that "Powered by Gamespy" icon and once it's full you should see quite a few servers.
You can simply join them like you would join a RO server.

If it is not like that, ie the gauge doesn't appear, it shows no effect, you can't select "Adress:Internet" etc. it is most likely an issue with the firewall.

Maybe you forgot to change that Adress thingy. Sometimes it's the simplest things that one over-looks. :)

Upvote 0
Ooh. Well I was just making sure I iron out the problems before my GOTY gets here so I can just start playing right away. Ya I dont think I even have an adress thing, unless it is included with resistance. ATM I only have gold edition, I know i cant play onlnie with that but i just making sure that when goty does come im ready. I just got thing at top of screen that says Network games on LAN. at bottom, it says-Join, cancel, New, Port, and at top right it says remote. But i pretty sure firewall is off, oh well i should probably wait for resistance to see if these problems are fixed, thanks!

Edit: Ok, I think what you told me worked. I clicked remote, and typed in internet in the adress bar, and left the port the same, 2234 (Is port important?) Then i went back to multiplayer screen, and in top left it said LAN, which I guess means switch back to LAN, which means I finally got on the internet!!! Or at least I hope i did. At the top, it says network games on Internet:2234. guess ill have to wait till goty comes 2 find out if it works since I saw no servers, cuz atm i got 1.46 Gold edition, i think 1.46 is as far as gold goes isnt it? No gauge either, but thats probably because of my gold 1.46 edition which probably doesnt work online. I'll have goty in a few days tho. Thanks so much!

P.S.-How do I take a screen shot and were do i view it? I dont think i can find my screen folder in OFP

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok everything's fine thanks for all your help everyone, especially murphy, hope I did not give u arthritis lol

Oh and 1 more VERY FINALLY LAST thing. When I click on new in the multiplayer screen to host my own server, how do I name it? It just takes me to the island selection and mission selection screen i dont know were to go to name it. And when I downloaded the bw mod, the files g36commando and dlem_ural did not copy right. Any idea were i can get these 2 files without downloading the entire mod again?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't get why there are s many complains about Flashpoint 2 being done by diferent developers...

ArmA (OpFp's true soul sequel, by the original devs) is broken in many ways, if they didn't took the rights for it and hand it to someone else, we would be already playing Flashpoint 2, that would be ArmA with a diferen't name.

I understand that when a series is given to someone else, chances are that its going to be crap, but hey, the real devs are making crap for sure right now and its Flashpoint 2 with ArmA as a name, so lets give the new devs a chance.

If you are so loyal to the original devs, then you can stil play ArmA as if it was Flashpoint 2, because it IS Flashpoint 2, no harm done.

same thing goes for "Far Cry" (not that good game to begin with), with a crappy soul sequel called "Crysis", IMO, "Far Cry 2" done by someone else can do much better.

I don't deny that the sequels are not going to suck, but I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt first, since everyone seems to be so angry about the dev changin, I can say at least, that if the sequels were made by the true devs, they would have already sucked, and we would have nothing to look forward to

just a thought I had, and this seemed to be the correct thread to post it, not aimed at anyone in particular

Upvote 0
but it stil looks the same as ArmA, same old engine, with probably the same bugs and flaws, that are here since flashpoint, the diference is that now they are far worse

Sorry Fedorov but I don't get your logic ??? You say Flashpoint II (developed by codemasters) will follow the roots of the classic Flashpoint although they didn't show any proof for that.

And on the other hand you claim ArmA 2 will have the same flaws ("bugs") as ArmA and as far as I see there is no proof for that statement either.

See my point :p

Upvote 0
I don't get why there are s many complains about Flashpoint 2 being done by diferent developers...

ArmA (OpFp's true soul sequel, by the original devs) is broken in many ways, if they didn't took the rights for it and hand it to someone else, we would be already playing Flashpoint 2, that would be ArmA with a diferen't name.

I understand that when a series is given to someone else, chances are that its going to be crap, but hey, the real devs are making crap for sure right now and its Flashpoint 2 with ArmA as a name, so lets give the new devs a chance.

If you are so loyal to the original devs, then you can stil play ArmA as if it was Flashpoint 2, because it IS Flashpoint 2, no harm done.

same thing goes for "Far Cry" (not that good game to begin with), with a crappy soul sequel called "Crysis", IMO, "Far Cry 2" done by someone else can do much better.

I don't deny that the sequels are not going to suck, but I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt first, since everyone seems to be so angry about the dev changin, I can say at least, that if the sequels were made by the true devs, they would have already sucked, and we would have nothing to look forward to

just a thought I had, and this seemed to be the correct thread to post it, not aimed at anyone in particular

Not really informed then.
Bohemia have allways stated that ArmA was not the official follow-up to Operation Flashpoint. From day one they have said that it was to be some sort of '1.5' version of Operation Flashpoint, to give the OFP community something new to do till they could finish up all the work on Game2, wich was supposed to be the real follow-up to the original OFP. (Game2 is now known as ArmA2)

As for bugs, personally i have only noticed 1 bug (graphic-wise only, thanks to my videocard. Everything seemed blurry in the distance, but i fixed it), and the only flaws i can think of is ****ty AI, and the performance when the game got released.
However they have found that problem, they made big improvements for the framerates with the latest beta patches, so i'm pretty sure they will have improved it further for ArmA 2, and i've allready seen some gameplay footage of AI improvements, where they actually took cover at corners and stuff like that.

That combined with the promise of a better campaign again (wich never was the sellingpoint for ArmA, BI's focus was on the MP part) cause it's the official follow-up, makes me very very hopefull for Armed Assault 2.

Codemasters however has little to no experience with tactical simulations, and as all companies do they want to make money of the game.
BI ofcourse also wants this but so far they havent mainstreamed or simplified anything yet in ArmA, i dare say it's even more hardcore then the original OFP thanks to it's free-aiming system and stuff like that. Codemasters still has to prove that they arent just moneywolves out for a new cashcow + little experience in the genre = possibly huge failure, or at least a big disappointment for the fans of the original OFP, especially if they are going to sell out.

Some of you will not like me for bringing it up again but i'll just give Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six as an example of what can happen when other companies take over. You're gonna be given abominations unworthy of a classic name. Sometimes even when the original developers make part 2, but there is even more chance when another developer takes over.
Know that R6 and GR are some of my favourite alltime games, together with OFP. Seeing what has allready happened to the first mentioned (younger gamers allready think R6 is all about run and gun gameplay and that Advanced Warfighter is truely tactical), i dont want to see that happen to yet another favourite of mine. That's where the worry comes from.

Upvote 0
Sorry Fedorov but I don't get your logic ??? You say Flashpoint II (developed by codemasters) will follow the roots of the classic Flashpoint although they didn't show any proof for that.

And on the other hand you claim ArmA 2 will have the same flaws ("bugs") as ArmA and as far as I see there is no proof for that statement either.

See my point :p

to the first part, NO, i didn't say that, never assured anything and never mentioned anything about the roots, I just said it "might" not be as bad as ArmA, and not to panic at least until its out, and to say again that it doesn't matter if you stil prefer the original devs, is not like they lost their jobs or anything, they are still working and releasing their thing for you

to the second one, the short videos that were posted somewhere around this forums prooves that at least it uses the same engine, not a good sign

and in case that ArmA is just flashpoint 1.5 and arma2 is flashpoint 2, for what I've seen so far, seems that the step from 1 to 1.5 is incredibly huge compared to what its going to be from 1.5 to 2, besides, if you judge it as a patch, how comes they are charging you for it?, also making expansions for it?, they can call it however they want, but ArmA is flashpoint 2, and probably ArmA 2 is going to be Flashpoint 3
and its going to remind me of those Smackdown games they release every year, releasing basically the same game, with a diferent number in the title

in the gameplay I dont see the improvement either from 1 to "1.5" , the performance is bad and the AI is even worse. its the evolution from a game that I love, to a game that I can't play

I can't predict the future and I really do hope they release good games, (all of them), the world if short of good games.

The only diference between you and I is that I'm pesimistic about Bohemia (because they released a disaster), and not THAT pessimistic about the others. (because I stil don't know what they will do)

anyway, this thing has been blown out of proportion, I guess the message to begin with was "don't panic... yet"

Upvote 0