• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

OMG! Solution is WORSE than the Problem!

mattlach

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Massachusetts
How do I disable the damned "fade sound while talking" feature that just randomly popped up without asking me.

It is absolutely ruining my game experience.

I can't tell what is going on around me when talking. It is HORRIBLE.

I understand why it was instituted, because too many idiots play this game with speakers (never ever play an FPS with speakers) and you don't want feedback & echos but this is even worse.

Please at least include an option to disable it. This is absolutely terrible.

--Matt

I wouldn't call people idiots just because they're using VoIP while having their speakers on at the same time. They just don't realise it would be a problem because they have other things on their head. It's like people calling a radio station and having their radio receiver on. Just tell them to shut it off because you can't understand them talking and I think they'll do it.

Upvote 0
Too many idiots use speakers?

So, im unintelligent just because I dont want to fork out a large some of money to get some headphones that would actually do the sounds of this game justice?

Thats so ignorant it almost burns my eyes to read it.

The speakers in and of themselves don't make for idiots. People who use a microphone to communicate while playing using speakers are at the very least technologically challenged if not outright dumb. (That is, unless they are just morons who don't care if they ruin the experience for everyone else.

Are you seriously saying you don't have any headphones in your house? You don't need to "fork out a large amount of money"...

If you want to play with speakers and miss out on the level of situation awareness and sound position you get with headphones when playing an FPS game, then by all means do so, just don't use a mic while doing so.

It is absolutely obnoxious to ruin the game experience for everyone who is doing it right, just because some can't be bothered to not be asses.

Upvote 0
In a way it adds to the realism if there is background noise when someone speaks.

Do you think if a guy is on a radio to you from a fire fight there will be no noise in the background.

This isn't a British colonial war.

"Yes sorry there old cha, let us just keep the war quiet for a bit while you are on the phone. Tally Ho !"

Nothing like 4 russians babbeling in the background....

On the matter at subject at hand, this is quite the flame thread, why not just lock it already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have headset, but it's broken (half of it isn't working for some reason) and for now I am using speakers and microphone. I want to buy another headset in the future. You always can mute people you don't like to hear (at least it works for me).

If people politely write to me that I shouldn't use my microphone then I restrain myself because they're nice and all. Insulting me won't help you. In fact it might encourage me to use speakers and microphone for a while. Just to annoy you.

How you approach to the people is often important. Try to remember that next time you insult someone. People insulted will fight back. People asked with courtesy won't. It's natural order of things.

Reactions: DvD
Upvote 0
This sounds like the same problem I had, which is easy to fix! When I installed RO2, I had never used any software that Windows detected as voice communication (including other games with VOIP, and Ventrilo), so I was unaware of the feature until I was having problems with Ventrilo sound getting very soft every time I played RO2 specifically.

If it's the same problem I had, it's a Windows feature, not an RO2 feature. You don't have to buy a new headset, you don't have to mute players, you don't have to have the devs come up with a solution.

What you do is go into Start Menu > Control Panel > Sound. Then open up the Communications tab on the right. You'll see four settings for what you want Windows to do when it detects that you are using voice communication software. Windows detects RO2's VOIP as voice communication software, so it triggers this feature. You will probably notice it is set to "Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%" or by 50%, from your description. Just select the option to "Do nothing" and if your problem is stemming from this feature, that will solve it. Easy. It won't fix the phenomena of people transmitting sound from their speakers (that's on their end, not yours), but you will be able to hear the game. Just be careful that you don't become the person who is constantly transmitting speaker noise. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh my. If this is the solution, I wonder if anyone will eat humble pie tonight.

Edit - the above was spoken through a mic that was not constrained by a headset and on the behalf of my logitech mic I wish to hijack this thread and call on all microphones to demand they only be used when paired with an external speaker system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The speakers in and of themselves don't make for idiots. People who use a microphone to communicate while playing using speakers are at the very least technologically challenged if not outright dumb. (That is, unless they are just morons who don't care if they ruin the experience for everyone else.

Are you seriously saying you don't have any headphones in your house? You don't need to "fork out a large amount of money"...

If you want to play with speakers and miss out on the level of situation awareness and sound position you get with headphones when playing an FPS game, then by all means do so, just don't use a mic while doing so.

It is absolutely obnoxious to ruin the game experience for everyone who is doing it right, just because some can't be bothered to not be asses.

Looking to make all sorts of friend on here, aren't you matt? :p:rolleyes:
Worse than someone playing RO2 with speakers on full blast are people who post on the forums and insulting others. Stop playing the Internet Game because you're losing right now. ;)

Now if you had posted more along the line you did here:
I know, it does stink, but its better than the current situation, where the game auto-lowers the volume whenever you speak :(
I might have to tell you that I agree with you. And I might have said that the fade is, indeed a little annoying and that an option to turn it on or off would be a good addition... But you started off by insulting people and coming off as a little trolly.
You might want to rethink your approach to reaching the community with concerns and suggestions you might have, buddy. Maybe try not starting our with a "You idiots!" statement right off the bat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Abandon+thread+gorilla+READ+DESCRIPTION+OK+EVERYONE+JUST+READ+THIS_b3bd49_1584652.gif

Upvote 0

Hello.

I do that. I use speakers and a microphone.

You know how I know I'm not ruining other's experience by chosing to actually use my 5.1 system properly?

I, you know, like most people playing games with speakers, actually manage my volume levels properly and use the correct microphone for the job so there's no feedback!

Totally moronic huh? :rolleyes:

Be careful making sweeping generalisations, you'll find they bite you in the arse.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0