• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ogledow

Observations after first night of beta testing

Observations after first night of beta testing

Thanks to all the server admins (some of whom were at work :D ) who made the effort to get the map up and running for multiplayer testing. Also thanks to TW-Stratomagus (and Tripwire) for taking time to walk me through the publishing process. And of course, thanks to all the players who shot, bayonetted, and ran me over with tanks at Ogledow yesterday.

I'm on my first cup of coffee so this will be disjointed and I'll make more sense of it later, but here are some observations.

The first tank v tank battle in Ogledow, RO2:
The Germans are trying to attack Ogledow. On their lead, the mighty Panzer IV lead by known commander with name of Six_Ten.
But the Soviets weren't going to be tricked by the fascists. While the infantry were sacrifying themselves to attact attention of the occupants of the motherland, the T34 tank has flanked from the left side, and with amazing knowledge of enemy tanks, commander Polshevik has destroyed the Panzer into pieces with only 2 shots, and let his team advance into the farm.

The first battle on Ogledow, won by the Red Army, 15th of December, 2011

That was a great fight! Congratulations on winning the first tank battle of Ogledow RO2.

Make squad leader spawn points, this map can work out very good with squads since there is only one spawn point for both teams, having squad leader spawn points could save a lot of time running around the map!!!

I don't want to save players time running around the map. Here's why:

Having a bit further to walk makes you more careful of your life, so the MGs can put out proper suppressive fire. The longer ranges are also just awesome as the distance itself provides protection from fire - you can actually see the weapon sway and recoil much more easily across these distances.

I forgot how it was like to run to the objectives on foot in Ost (I always waited for APC's) lol this is the pace the game needed tho. More a tactical feel to it instead of mad rushes into capzones only a few yards apart.

Thank you for not putting in additional spawn zones. Hopefully this will get us back to slower paced thoughtful gameplay, while keeping the current fast paced maps there to have a growing amount of diversity. :)

My intention for this map is to create the conditions that allow new players to experience the feeling I got during the best games I played on RO. For Ogledow I think this will mean mostly bolt action rifles supporting tanks.

If you want to survive and take the objectives you'll need to figure out with your teammates how to advance with the tanks as cover. This won't be the same from game to game, since there will be different players.

Really appreciated to see open map from RO:O. I hope you make it as close as original was designed.

Please increase the amount of grass and their view distance as right now on ultra grass is very sparse and appears to grow 20m infront of you. I know this is done for performance reasons but I think the range of it can be increased to 80m or so.

I agree and am working on it. I am not a fan of using the deco grass much, it looks pretty but it gives a false sense of security, as any enemy at range sees you. It only conceals them from you, getting in the way of your shot but they can see you clearly. I want to figure out how to get some tall grass that doesn't hit performance yet conceals if you're in it.

But I must say that the light is beautiful, but it seems to me that it will be hard to play with light like this.
I mean that light reduces the visibility.

Is the sun in your eyes?

Have you thought about replacing the long mid height BSP walls with something nicer? Modeling some rock walls would be good practise ;)

I actually had replaced all of them with statics, but chose to return to the original. I think I will leave the farm ones alone, but some of the others might become wood fences, especially the one at Ogledow. As for needing practice modeling, uvmapping and texturing, sometime I'll show you my portfolio XD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
-The infanty spawns are wrong.The half of the Allied infantry should spawn behind the hill, the other half behind the farm, until one of those two is captured.
-all objectives shouldn't be neutral but from the Russians
-all Bots try to get to the farm ;)
-you cannot use the sandsacks to put up your rifle:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot00054hhk7e.jpg
-at the same spot should be along the wall behind me capzone
-this sandsack blocks you, the fire as well:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot000555xjmm.jpg

Upvote 0
Six Ten, very nice work :). FYI I was able to integrate the map to the webadmin by adding this to the server ROGAME.ini:

[TE-Ogledow_B3 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Ogledow_B3
FriendlyName=Ogledow
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=Ogledow Map
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType32=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType64=ROMT_CombinedArms

Once done, restart the server, and you should be able to add the map to the rotation, or change the current map to it just like any other map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0
Six Ten, very nice work :). FYI I was able to integrate the map to the webadmin by adding this to the server ROGAME.ini:

[TE-Ogledow_B3 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=TE-Ogledow_B3
FriendlyName=Ogledow
GameType=ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=Ogledow Map
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType32=ROMT_CombinedArms
MapType64=ROMT_CombinedArms

Once done, restart the server, and you should be able to add the map to the rotation, or change the current map to it just like any other map.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can figure out how to add Preview images to the next version. I'm working on Beta4 right now.

Upvote 0
THANKS, =Thor=. I was working on that. It keeps me from having to re-invent the wheel....

@SixTen
If I might make a small suggestion ....

Now that you have it working, and we know how to get it on the servers....

Please do NOT release a new beta every other day!!!! It will create a nightmare for server admins (who want to help) and we'll end up with a lot of versions that will confuse players, etc. Killing Floor (even with its redirect) was overwrought with mappers who would release a new beta for each little fix. It eventually pisses everbody off.....:mad:

Let the map run for a while (even if it is not perfect). While its running, get a lot of feedback from the community. Incoroprate a lot of fixes at once and then release a major update to the public. If you need to test functionality, work with one of the server admins here. If I'm not around (and I won't be for the next 10 days), I'm sure Major_Day or one of the other admins would be glad to put a "test" beta. If it doesn't crash the server or cause other problems, then you could release it to the public.

After a time, too many beta releases gets to be a real pita and interest will wain.

Great work for you first map release! I give it :IS2: :IS2::IS2: !!

I'll be out of pocket starting Sunday, so PM me on our forums if you would like additional server access.....

Upvote 0
fun map!
i had a few glitches though. it seems if you run into a tree, you can't back up. can't seem to scuttle the tank either.
i had a really hard time shooting infantry. i took thirty shots at three guys running latteraly abot 75 meters away with a scoped semi. missed every one of them. another time there was a guy about 5 meters in front of me coming right at me and i unloaded the mag at him and missed every time. not sure why that's happening. i'm not sure what my ping was at the time. i'll ry it again later and see if it's just me.
i agree about that grass growing as you get near it. it's really odd looking and either needs to grow from a farther distance or be eliminated.
p.s. i did get a 225 meter kill with the sniper rifle. felt great to gat a longer kill than all 7,700 of my previous kills in ro2!:D

Upvote 0
THANKS, =Thor=. I was working on that. It keeps me from having to re-invent the wheel....

@SixTen
If I might make a small suggestion ....

Now that you have it working, and we know how to get it on the servers....

Please do NOT release a new beta every other day!!!! It will create a nightmare for server admins (who want to help) and we'll end up with a lot of versions that will confuse players, etc. Killing Floor (even with its redirect) was overwrought with mappers who would release a new beta for each little fix. It eventually pisses everbody off.....:mad:

Let the map run for a while (even if it is not perfect). While its running, get a lot of feedback from the community. Incoroprate a lot of fixes at once and then release a major update to the public. If you need to test functionality, work with one of the server admins here. If I'm not around (and I won't be for the next 10 days), I'm sure Major_Day or one of the other admins would be glad to put a "test" beta. If it doesn't crash the server or cause other problems, then you could release it to the public.

After a time, too many beta releases gets to be a real pita and interest will wain.

Great work for you first map release! I give it :IS2: :IS2::IS2: !!

I'll be out of pocket starting Sunday, so PM me on our forums if you would like additional server access.....

I'll be glad to help out with any future beta's you want to test.
But its also important that TWI get the redirect problem sorted asap. preferably before any new beta versions are released, players just won't go looking for the files they have to install, if they don't download when the map loads, they'll just go to another server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Friday Night Fights

Friday Night Fights

We're starting a game on Ogledow now on the 50pc server -- will be running it a number of timres, so join us for some Combined Arms fun to get your weekend started with a bang!

Make sure you download and install the map BEFORE you try to join -- to the first post in this thread to get it.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if anyone did this, but I was able to add a BOT. But only one :(

You need to add them from out of the web-admin panel. Go to the Change Map page and select the Ogledow map. Then at Additional URL variables you type:
?minplayers=10
This will add 5 bots at axis and 5 at allies. ?minplayers=20 Will add 10 bots at both sides. Don't try to use the Bots page in the web-admin panel. That one is broken. Evenso does the console AddBots command not work as it should be (it will only add one).

Upvote 0