• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ogledow

It's just a guess, but is it possible the tank is penetrating the collision volume of either the terrain, the building, or other objects laid around on it? The rubber-banding usually happens when a physics body is allowed to penetrate another rigid body - with the rubber-banding being the physics solvers' way of ejecting the anomaly. I could be completely wrong there though.

The warping only happened since B5, it wasn't happening before that in the previous betas, if that's any help.

Thanks to these posts I think I know what it is. I built new custom static meshes for every building and got rid of the BSP. The ruins is one mesh, so when you enter the driveway area you are inside the model bounds. I'll separate the outer wall and building, that should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks to these posts I think I know what it is. I built new custom static meshes for every building and got rid of the BSP. The ruins is one mesh, so when you enter the driveway area you are inside the model bounds. I'll separate the outer wall and building, that should solve the problem.

Sweet, that's great news Six :) Based on your description, that does sound like a good reason for the problem. I think collision volumes are generally either convex, or constructed by attaching multiple convex hulls together. What you essentially have there is a concave mesh hull, and the physcis engines we're used to don't have the horsepower to deal with that. Massive amount more calculation... or rather, a reduction in the number of assumptions and shortcuts a physics system can take - and they tend to take many :) Collision is completely possible on concave hulls, but very, very expensive - it always makes sense I think, to break them into several convex hulls and attach them using unbreakable constraints.

Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0
Only Butovo (latest version). Still not sure if Ogledow will suit an infantry only server. What do you think?

The original real-world battle was armor. Please don't remove the tanks from Ogledow. It is a combined arms map.

Edit:

I have given this issue some thought and have concluded that I would rather have the map played and tested by as many people as possible, so go ahead and run it infantry only if that is your current server setting. Everyone who gets the map can still also play it on tank-enabled servers too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice one - I think I will wait for the next version then :)

Is anyone running this map as Infantry Only? I am wondering how it would play on a 64 slot IO server....

You can play it now, there's really just that collision bug at the Hill, and you can avoid it by not driving into the building area. I have fixed the problem in B8 already, so I could upload it now but I don't want to burden server admins with every little change I make.

Play it, its fun. We had 4 or 5 games in a row with 64 players on the FJ server yesterday, it was a blast, tanks and infantry all over the place.

Well it's either that or no Ogledow on the Old Gits, the tanks are not enabled on this server :)

I think you'll find that this is one map where tanks and infantry work well in RO2. If you don't want to change your server settings I understand, but the map is combined arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can play it now, there's really just that collision bug at the Hill, and you can avoid it by not driving into the building area. I have fixed the problem in B8 already, so I could upload it now but I don't want to burden server admins with every little change I make.

Play it, its fun. We had 4 or 5 games in a row with 64 players on the FJ server yesterday, it was a blast, tanks and infantry all over the place.

I think you'll find that this is one map where tanks and infantry work well in RO2. If you don't want to change your server settings I understand, but the map is combined arms.

I'm not running the server, just playing there often as it has a nice population and great players. I'd be personally to put tanks back in ;)

Upvote 0
I'd agree with Six and Casey here - definitely worth a try both with and without tanks - but much, much better with them enabled. Due to the size of the map, the tank play is very different to the stock TWI maps. Instead of always being close to infantry, the tanks are often away from cap zones attempting area denial for cap routes - while you do still encounter infantry on those routes (obviously), they aren't as bunched together as they are on stock maps. It definitely reduces the hull-gunner incidents - I've killed more infantry on Ogledow with the co-ax MG than my hull gunner has managed with the main MG :) Unfortunately they DO look just like hull gunner kills in the kill list (I think?), so it may look to others like I'm just hull-gunner farming them to death :) heh

I'd love to see more servers both with Ogledow (and Butovo obviously!), AND with tanks enabled again. Is it possible to have tanks on Ogledow, but keep them disabled on the stock maps? That might do the trick.

Reactions: Goten and Six_Ten
Upvote 0
Alright, its cooking now. I'll test it then if it works I'll upload B8.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Changes for Ogledow Beta 7

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Just off the top of my head for now:

Sometimes you can set up an mg or PTRS in the ruins window. (it is still sketchy, but works better than before)

Added some more covernodes in various parts of map.

Some bushes move when you run through them. (I did that for wheatfields too, but there are just too many polys to do it, so unless I figure out how to do that efficiently they are static and unmoving). I had all of them able to move, then discovered that tank shells (are they SM actors and bullets aren't?) collide with them but bullets don't. I left some in because they're cool and its useful to see where the enemy is sometimes. The ones I left in are spaced far enough that they won't interfere with tank battles often.

All wooden fences can be destroyed by running over with tank or shooting with HE shells. Telegraph poles can be run over. Removed wires completely.

Terrain sand and grass textures distribution is pretty sweet. Working on the masking only, so they tile still.

Replaced BSP buildings with custom static meshes. (by the way if you couldn't enter them in RO Ogledow you won't be able to here.)

Rebuilt and remapped a number of the old static meshes for lightmapping and made new textures, spec, and normal maps. Shutters for instance look better.

More cover and mantling locations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say, had some great matches yesterday on the 2FJ server, once tanks were enabled.

Most fun I've had in RO2 for a while.

Keep up the good work Six-Ten.

You might want to ask some of the TWI mappers on what to do about slopes affecting tank aim. There were a few locations when we would get the old tank aim offset bug that's mostly fixed in stock maps.

Upvote 0