• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nvidia FleX Thoughts

Gregs2k2

Thank you please
  • Mar 21, 2009
    UK
    www.ragequitters.co.uk
    This is not a complaint thread. It's a thoughts, feedback and experience thread.

Well, this feature is beautiful, disgusting and rather heavy on my poor GTX 970. I ran a test earlier and the frame drop, while not considerable, is certainly noticeable.

With both FleX fluid and gore enabled. I ran the FPS counter and shot some heads off, immediate loss of around 3 or 4 frames, it's strangely noticeable too. I am running on Windows 10 but I suspect it's just FleX that's heavy.

Next, I upped the ante a little; I used the C4 and M79 'nade launcher. Although still a noticeable performance loss (say around 10-12 FPS) the game is still playable. Whether i'll continue to use FleX though... i'm not sure.

However, it is a nice addition and makes the game feel a lot more visceral. The head popping is glorious as are the showers of goo and intestines that erupt from a well place nade.

Anyone had similar experiences? I also appreciate that the recommended GPU is a GTX 980. I filmed some footage with the FPS counter, let me know if you want me to upload it.

Discuss.

My rig specs:

GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (MSI Twin Frozr IV)
    CPU: Intel i7 9600 @ 3.2ghz
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 tri SLI
    Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
    RAM: 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 mhz
    O/S: Windows 10 Pro
    Monitor: AOC G2460PQU G-sync

I have the same graphics card and overclocked to around 1500 mhz. My settings are on high/ultra with dof and motion blur turned off. When I'm in a six man server, it drops downs to the 40's and even 30's when **** hits the fan. Explosions on groups of zeds mixed with firebugs spraying really kill my fps.

Upvote 0
    i7-5820k 3.30GHz (12CPUs), ~ 3.3GHz
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 SuperClocked

I run the game with maximum graphics, no AntiAliasing, at 1920x1080. Before the update I got a consistant 60 frames per second (I've never tested it without Vsync). After the update with the same settings (Max Graphics, no AA, 1080p) plus Physx Gibs and Fluid enabled I got 60 frames per second at most times. Gory/physx(y) moments casued dips into 55 frames for a momnet or two before going back to 60. At worst with lots of fluidy gibby guts everywhere, it's gone as low as mid forties.

For short-
    Before Update: 60 fps
    After Update: 50-60 fps (45-60) in chaotic scenarios

I'd like to see the physx be more optimized if possible. Especially the fluid part if that's where the problem is at.

Upvote 0
    FleX gore only is much less demanding, still looks awesome too. :)

Agreed. The gibs only setting is the best bang for the buck. You get gooey chunks and eyeballs with almost no performance hit, at least on my 780 TI.

This is an extreme feature for the highest performance rigs. Flex is an attempt to push graphics into the future, so 'pretty good' setups might not run it very well. When you switch it on, the pop-up says what GPU you need and says it may impact performance.

Upvote 0
    This is an extreme feature for the highest performance rigs. Flex is an attempt to push graphics into the future, so 'pretty good' setups might not run it very well. When you switch it on, the pop-up says what GPU you need and says it may impact performance.

Thing is, in Borderlands 2 you can have tons of liquids and particles flying around with Physx turned on, with only a small hit to performance, in KF2 it's utterly killing my 2x 980 GTXs in SLI, both games use the same engine (unreal 3) so I think they could optimise it a bit in KF2

Upvote 0
    Thing is, in Borderlands 2 you can have tons of liquids and particles flying around with Physx turned on, with only a small hit to performance, in KF2 it's utterly killing my 2x 980 GTXs in SLI, both games use the same engine (unreal 3) so I think they could optimise it a bit in KF2

PhysX performance in the Borderlands games is notoriously ropey, resulting significant FPS drops even on top rigs. It's playable and looks good, but the frame drops are very noticeable in big fights with four players. There are several guides online with suggestions for tweaking the config files to improve FPS

Upvote 0
    Spoiler!

I lose frames but I don't really give a ****. I could make it very low and just use gibs and blood but that wouldn't be worth it.

Specs from Speccy:

Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Gigabyte)
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

Upvote 0
    nvidia GTX 960
    16GB RAM
    i5 Proc (forget which one)
    Setting in KF2 set to Ultra with Gibs and Fluids on

Best example I saw was on the Outpost map in the courtyard where most people like to hang out and camp. Starting on level 5-ish when large waves of zeds fill the tunnels and courtyard. As a demo, it was fantastic to blow up large groups and see the blood and parts and intestines fly around, or when a Siren would scream and the parts would scatter.

I noticed frame drop, but that was to be expected. Nothing that detracted from the game, it was still super playable on my TV. I would expect that as time goes by the nVidia drivers and TWI will optimize more and improve preformance, though.

I liked the effect turning on FleX had, overall.

Upvote 0
    I tried both gibs and gibs & fluid, here are my specs:

GTX 960
    Intel i3 3220
    8GB RAM
    all settings ultra

had quite a big drop in FPS, enough that it would mess with my ingame performance, but it was fun to play with definitely. Gonna try it when I give demo a proper go (I've only been burning really).

Gibs only was a bit of a strange effect for me, when decapitating something the gibs themselves would appear just above/on the neck stump and fly everywhere more than it seems they would naturally. Very crunchy though, I like it.

Gibs & Fluids is where I took a major hit, the blood reminds me essentially of corrosive acid in Borderlands 2, same sort of blobby material. Was very cool though, popping a slasher's head and having him slump against a truck spraying it all over the floor and truck.

Upvote 0