• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not every one can play the Germans

Well you cant do much about the number of the german loving crowd. It will be pretty similar when RS will be out I guess. A lot of people will mainly play the U.S side. Guess I have to play the japanese a lot because they have less players. However especially in WW2 games a lot of people pick the german side because they think they are "cool". The picture is mostly painted by not so good documentaries that display weapons and troops of the axis side in a brighter light as it should be. Also there is also a number of people who pick the german side for lets call it "political reasons". WW2 games are not the exclusive battlefield for those people. Im quite sure they also play other popular games like Starcraft, WoW, Cod, Battlefield etc. However the chance to meet those people is probably higher in games with a focus on a WW2 scenario.

I will most likely play Japanese for the majority of the time. Simply because I am sick and tired to play as a US soldier. How many times has it been portrayed? A zillion times?

Nothing against the US or its army, but in my gaming career I probably have killed more Germans, Russians an Japanese than there were casualties in WW2.

Now it's time for the GIs fighting the Japanese.

Upvote 0
I'll admit, the Nazis did a lot of bad things, but what about the Japanese? Hollywood doesn't mention the US Marines they buried alive, or the thousands of German citizens raped and murdered in Berlin at the end of the war by the Soviets, do they?

Ever heard of US war crimes prior to Vietnam? I assume not. Most documentaries reflecting about US war crimes in WW 2 are from the 90s or later.

Hollywood didn't mention US Marines comitting war crimes prior to Bush, except for the Vietnam era, right?

War is dirty, no matter which side is involved.

Upvote 0
I will most likely play Japanese for the majority of the time. Simply because I am sick and tired to play as a US soldier. How many times has it been portrayed? A zillion times?

Nothing against the US or its army, but in my gaming career I probably have killed more Germans, Russians an Japanese than there were casualties in WW2.

Hear, hear.

Upvote 0
I end up playing the russians most of the time because I believe in even teams.

I think its idiotic how most people want to join the germans.

How would a bus full of RO players look?
2m long and 20m wide because they all want to sit in the front row.

I honestly couldn't agree more with this It's why I stopped playing RO2 a few months ago in the first place. When I came back on the free weekend/GOTY update for a few days it was no longer like this, then it started again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On US and European servers I generally end up playing Russian since I know the German team is generally more experienced. The only exceptions are on Spartanovka and Grain Elevator, where I pick German.

Usually, playing on the Soviet team these days goes something like this:

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, TLs, drop more smoke"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, WE NEED SMOKE."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, TLs, there are SIX of you and I've barely seen a smoke grenade ALL GAME."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, TLS, you know you can press 4 and click to use a smoke grenade, right?"
*teamkills team leader to take smoke grenades*

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, could we have arty in D4?"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, please cancel the artillery--we can't get into the capzone!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, next time, put arty behind the capzone, not in front of it, and please use artillery, not rockets."

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Guys, we are down 50 reinforcements--look before you run into the open."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Guys, we are down 100 reinforcements. Fall back and camp."
]nXs[Nikita: "Well, this was one-sided... gg"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, that Panzer IV has been sitting at the other end of the park ALL GAME NOW. Can you move to I5 and kill it?"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, the enemy tank is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, STOP KILLING INFANTRY and take out the enemy Panzer!"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "We need more people in the capzone"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "I am the only person in the capzone. Get in the cap."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "I have been the only person in the capzone for the last five minutes. Throw smoke and get in here!"
*Gets teamkilled*
SuperL33t4770: "OMG dood so sorri!!!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "........................................"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "MG on the left flank, sniper in the white building, 2nd floor, left window."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "MG still on the left flank--don't go there without smoke, guys"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Have you guys seriously not noticed the MG sitting there on the left all game? DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "...why am I still seeing dead bodies on the left flank? /facepalm."

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Commander, please don't use forced respawn to respawn yourself."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Commander, PLEASE STOP WASTING FORCED RESPAWN to respawn yourself."
*must restrain urge to teamkill friendly commander upon next respawn*

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "We need an Engineer to blow the doors to A."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, please blow the doors at A!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, please do your job and blow the right door at A!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, you are not Assault troopers! USE YOUR EXPLOSIVES!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, WHY ARE YOU DROPPING YOUR EXPLOSIVES IN SPAWN!?!?"
*Picks up satchel charges and proceeds to do in 30 seconds what two engineers did not accomplish in 15 minutes of game time*

:mad::mad::mad:
/rant

Yes, I did just get out of the game. :D

It's going to be a long, hard road to the Reichstag... :p

EDIT:
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Why have all our bunkers been destroyed by our own engineers? BEHIND friendly lines?" (on Mamayev)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not everyone shares your lack of bravery:p I always try to join the losing team.

I find being a defender against a tough attacking side - to be one of those hectic give-it-all-you-have moments where RO2 really comes alive.

It was the same in RO1. It is funner to lose with some horsepower than to win in a cakewalk. Especially in the last cap in the last moments.

Upvote 0
Hear, hear.

What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

EDIT:
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Why have all our bunkers been destroyed by our own engineers? BEHIND friendly lines?" (on Mamayev)

Indeed I have seen this happening many times and am asking why it happens. I was told that russian engineers actually get points for doing so, plus in the stats is a line "Total number of objectives destroyed".

One must love stats and achievements, why else would they be in any game? :D

Upvote 0
On US and European servers I generally end up playing Russian since I know the German team is generally more experienced. The only exceptions are on Spartanovka and Grain Elevator, where I pick German.

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, TLs, there are SIX of you and I've barely seen a smoke grenade ALL GAME."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "SLs, TLS, you know you can press 4 and click to use a smoke grenade, right?"
EDITED.......
/rant

EDIT:
this would be sooo funny, if it wasn't soooo true! i don't know whether to laugh or cry. :D :(

Upvote 0

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, could we have arty in D4?"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, please cancel the artillery--we can't get into the capzone!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "TL, next time, put arty behind the capzone, not in front of it, and please use artillery, not rockets."

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Guys, we are down 50 reinforcements--look before you run into the open."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Guys, we are down 100 reinforcements. Fall back and camp."
]nXs[Nikita: "Well, this was one-sided... gg"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, that Panzer IV has been sitting at the other end of the park ALL GAME NOW. Can you move to I5 and kill it?"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, the enemy tank is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Friendly tank, STOP KILLING INFANTRY and take out the enemy Panzer!"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "We need more people in the capzone"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "I am the only person in the capzone. Get in the cap."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "I have been the only person in the capzone for the last five minutes. Throw smoke and get in here!"
*Gets teamkilled*
SuperL33t4770: "OMG dood so sorri!!!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "........................................"

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "MG on the left flank, sniper in the white building, 2nd floor, left window."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "MG still on the left flank--don't go there without smoke, guys"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Have you guys seriously not noticed the MG sitting there on the left all game? DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "...why am I still seeing dead bodies on the left flank? /facepalm."

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Commander, please don't use forced respawn to respawn yourself."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Commander, PLEASE STOP WASTING FORCED RESPAWN to respawn yourself."
*must restrain urge to teamkill friendly commander upon next respawn*

]nXs[Nikita(Team): "We need an Engineer to blow the doors to A."
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, please blow the doors at A!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, please do your job and blow the right door at A!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, you are not Assault troopers! USE YOUR EXPLOSIVES!"
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Engineers, WHY ARE YOU DROPPING YOUR EXPLOSIVES IN SPAWN!?!?"
*Picks up satchel charges and proceeds to do in 30 seconds what two engineers did not accomplish in 15 minutes of game time*

/rant

EDIT:
]nXs[Nikita(Team): "Why have all our bunkers been destroyed by our own engineers? BEHIND friendly lines?" (on Mamayev)[/QUOTE

Funny thing is, you get the same thing on the German side too, but it doesn't matter as much
On some maps you can win as Germans without a TL or a Newbie one
Yes Mamayev Is one of the maps the Germans can win without a TL .
But you do not finishing with 100 reinforcement, instand it will be close
Playing with a bad TL,Sl and tankers on a Russian team you just get your a

Upvote 0

Yup, this right here. As for the "War Crimes" thing, then yes, everybody did it, everybody does it, and everybody will do it. Anyone who believes their country fights "cleaner" is lying to themselves.

Upvote 0
I don't think the map balance is that bad anymore. The only map I refuse to really touch Allies on would be Red October. Just because that first point is a nightmare with the campers in the dark windows you cannot see. And if Tanks are on you could potentially counter it with lots of explosive rounds in the windows. But then the German tank is likely to take you out, and cut off all the side routes for infantry leaving it a meatgrinder for Allies.

I also think Barracks an Fallen Fighters both favor Allies actually. They are supposed to be 50/50 but really it feels like Allies more easily cap the middle points early on. And often all they got to do then is camp, and let less experienced players rush in to burn all the Axis reinforcements. Gaining lots of team points in the process which will win the match if time runs out.

Upvote 0
I also think Barracks an Fallen Fighters both favor Allies actually. They are supposed to be 50/50 but really it feels like Allies more easily cap the middle points early on. And often all they got to do then is camp, and let less experienced players rush in to burn all the Axis reinforcements. Gaining lots of team points in the process which will win the match if time runs out.

can't argue with that, on barracks the allies can easily cap c at the beginning, if they manage to hold it, they win. axis need good sl's and tl to turn the tide.
still a great map imo, some tense cqc can be had there.
fallen fighters is a nightmare for the axis, allies have much better visibility due to lighting and better cover on the far end of the map. it seems easier for them to access c as well, which is the cap that determines victory.
the only map that really favors axis is red october factory and to some extent commissar's house.
i don't see too much reason to rebalance the maps, victory depends on good teamwork, and overcoming bad odds is very rewarding.

Upvote 0
No matter what anyone says and the changes that Tripwire has made to the map, Comissar's House has always been a shooting gallery for the German team. An handful of germans soldiers can defend D forever because they have a crystal clear view of the spawning Russians while the russians have to deal with fog and blur hiding the defenders.

I have only played 2 or 3 rounds as the Russians where the team progressed past objective C since RO2 got released nearly a year ago. Like many people, I just join the Germans to raise my kill stats or leave the server. Getting shot right out of spawn for 10 minutes is not why I play Ro2.

Upvote 0
can't argue with that, on barracks the allies can easily cap c at the beginning, if they manage to hold it, they win. axis need good sl's and tl to turn the tide.
still a great map imo, some tense cqc can be had there.
fallen fighters is a nightmare for the axis, allies have much better visibility due to lighting and better cover on the far end of the map. it seems easier for them to access c as well, which is the cap that determines victory.
the only map that really favors axis is red october factory and to some extent commissar's house.
i don't see too much reason to rebalance the maps, victory depends on good teamwork, and overcoming bad odds is very rewarding.

If you know what going on you would know the fight to win Barracks has very little to do with the Cap zones ;)

Upvote 0