• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No amount of bug fixing can fix the progression system.

Your own posts point out that what people's definition of "realism" is varies. TWI certainly didn't get it "right." Some people will **** a brick if they ever get shot with an MKB. That's part and parcel of the whole unlock system. Whose version of realism is right?

What the heck do you mean by "whose version of realism is right?"

The real realism is right. You know, like what actually took place during the battle of Stalingrad. Sheesh, that's all we're asking for. IT'S.NOT.COMPLICATED.

Upvote 0
The progression system is quite plainly the source of most of the problems RO2 has. Even without bugs, even with every tidbit of it working flawlessly, the game still is very negatively affected by it.
I've said most of this before, but I just can't help but seriously hate this stupid design choice that has basically killed RO2 for me. RO2 would be so absolutely fantastic if the many problems this system caused simply wouldn't be there.

I'll make a little list:

1. It is inherently unbalanced. Most other games with similar systems use a system of side-grades, RO2 blatantly gives you better equipment and does things like reduce recoil by using skill points.
  2. It's extremely unfriendly to new and casual players. Ironic, when you consider how this game was supposed to appeal to a wider audience. By having the hardcore players not only be more skilled, but also better equipped and superior through skill points, you're quickly gonna make the new and casual players feel downright unwelcome.
  3. It's one of the reasons why we don't have proper class limits. I mean, if semis and SMGs were actually somewhat limited, how would we grind for them?
  4. I bought the game, I bought the content. Why do I now have to spend time to unlock the gear I want?
  5. It's a bloody Skinner Box. Those things are a bloody disease for video games. They quickly make you feel like a button pressing pigeon. RO2's system is no different.
  6. It is a massive historical accuracy killer. It gave us the stupid limitations on standard issue equipment just so we could grind them back to historical accuracy. It made the most common gear of that time rarer than things that probably never reached Stalingrad. Not only is this nonsense totally unhistorical, but it also is woefully unbalanced and immersion killing.
  7. It's the only way to play RO2 for now. The decision to release the game with no alternative (were you thinking that everyone would adore it?) is just one that boggles my mind, especially with all the pre-release complaints and predictions that it would be bad.
I'm sure I'm not alone with this, right?

Definitely not. This basically sums up my attitude on the system.

I expect this in COD/Battlefield, and while they're annoying, it's generally handled a bit better.

RO, though, used to stand alone as a game where player skill actually mattered, rather than game-awarded bonuses for grinding. And yes, it's VERY newbie unfriendly. In a game like RO which already has a fairly steep learning curve, to put a finger on the scale on the side of players who've simply been playing longer (not necessarily better) is definitely going to turn people off.

It's certainly turning me off.

Upvote 0