• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Newest patch: Max FOV is 75. Permanent change?

The FoV cap change was implemented mostly due to performance issues. There are other aspects of it that need work as well.

The weapon specific fov changes were removed due to a bug that would cause players not to hit what they were shooting at.

Both of these were last minute additions to the game that did not work out properly. So they have been rolled back out for additional work/changes as needed.

Seriously, I don't think making the game look worse is the right approach to optimization. I don't think it's a smart move to remove features and graphical fidelity in order to 'optimize', especially not when considering it's the high end guys who seem to have the most issues.

In this case the decision is quite mind-boggling, I think you underestimate your customers if you think a simple warning when adjusting FOV won't suffice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The FoV cap change was implemented mostly due to performance issues. There are other aspects of it that need work as well.

The weapon specific fov changes were removed due to a bug that would cause players not to hit what they were shooting at.

Both of these were last minute additions to the game that did not work out properly. So they have been rolled back out for additional work/changes as needed.
The bug with weapons not hitting was fixed though a couple of patches back, wasn't it? Or was there another bug?

Also, the default fov value was still 75, so players who didn't touch it got no performance issues, what is the difference between it and the other graphics options which may adversely affect performance?

And finally, is fov 90 coming back? And a honest answer would be nice because it could mean a difference between asking for refund (while there is still time left) and keeping it for some people.

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying and .. honesty. Hope you move fast with the FOV stuff - the 75 FOV makes some people (me included) motion sick. We can't play the game until this is addressed.

Thanks again.

Wait, playing with different FOV settings makes you motion sick?

Are you sure you should be playing any video games at all?

Upvote 0
Yoshiro this a PC game, we don't want console FOV on our widescreen monitors, please don't force to find "workarounds" so I can play the game as a true PC game.

If you are worried about performance with higher FOV then add a disclaimer next to the slider (RAISING FOV DECREASES PERFORMANCE).

Thanks and have I good one the game is a great, but this decision is not so good.

Agreed - I had no performance issues with an FOV of 85 and think it's a tad unfair that the option itself was removed simply because others were having problem with that particular setting.

Although I would understand if it was removed to fix the clipping isuees.

As long as the .ini tweak/workaround works, I don't mind too much.

Upvote 0
The bug with weapons not hitting was fixed though a couple of patches back, wasn't it? Or was there another bug?

Also, the default fov value was still 75, so players who didn't touch it got no performance issues, what is the difference between it and the other graphics options which may adversely affect performance?

And finally, is fov 90 coming back? And a honest answer would be nice because it could mean a difference between asking for refund (while there is still time left) and keeping it for some people.

Yoshiro said "Both of these were last minute additions to the game that did not work out properly. So they have been rolled back out for additional work/changes as needed.".
So i presume they are bringing it back when they fix it.

Upvote 0
The FoV cap change was implemented mostly due to performance issues.

Yosh,

Since this apparently isn't a gameplay issue, could you guys please at least put the FOV slider back with a UI disclaimer on it? Something along the lines of "Higher FOVs WILL have an adverse affect on performance. Tripwire Interactive will not be held responsible if you crank things up and die a horrible death from low fps."

That'll let those with motion sickness problems, and those of us who haven't had any performance issues decide for ourselves whether or not to use increased FOV.

Thanks,
A Libertarian.

Upvote 0
That "narrowing" is by design/choice. There is an option under the same menu as the FOV, the option is called Disable Sprint Zoom, tick that to get rid of the narrowing at any and all FOV settings.

Thanks for the help, but clicking that option just removes the Zoom thing on your weapon, you still sprint with the speed effect. In the old 80 FOV I had before I didn't have this effect.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said "Both of these were last minute additions to the game that did not work out properly. So they have been rolled back out for additional work/changes as needed.".
So i presume they are bringing it back when they fix it.
Keep in mind this is devspeak, similar to politicians, they will almost never tell you directly that "this is that, period". There is always a certain degree of uncertainty and you can easily read what you want to read there. Next thing you know, he will be saying "we were unable to come up with solutions to those problems, so those options will be unavailable for now". :)

Upvote 0
Yosh,

Since this apparently isn't a gameplay issue, could you guys please at least put the FOV slider back with a UI disclaimer on it? Something along the lines of "Higher FOVs WILL have an adverse affect on performance. Tripwire Interactive will not be held responsible if you crank things up and die a horrible death from low fps."

That'll let those with motion sickness problems, and those of us who haven't had any performance issues decide for ourselves whether or not to use increased FOV.

Thanks,
A Libertarian.

It is a gameplay issue, you should probably read his post again. It will return when it works properly.

Upvote 0
Wait, playing with different FOV settings makes you motion sick?

Are you sure you should be playing any video games at all?

I don't want to turn this into my personal grief, so I hope this is the last time I will answer for this "specific" problem :) :
it's not the FOV, it's the narrowing thing I get when I sprint (after I stop, it "wideness" back). I don't know if you guys have this problem (maybe you sprint "normally")

I have played many many games, including Unreal Tournaments (which are 5 times more fast paced than RO2). I also play Ostfront for a few months, and as someone said, that thing maybe has 75 FOV. All this and no sickness. It's just someting with this specific FOV.

Also, as a non-medical thing, I prefer wider FOV and I think I'm not alone :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I love when people think they know more about the game then the devs, so funny. :D

Well, I know that I didn't experience any adverse effect on performance with an FOV higher than 75, and it seems like Zetsumei knows that clipping through walls still occurs with the lowest possible FOV, so unless there's anything else to know, I know that it's a little irritating to have an option limited simply because some people were having problem with said option.

Upvote 0

I cannot play this game on a widescreen 16:9 monitor without a 90

Upvote 0
Gheah! I can't stand low FOVs. I couldn't play Metro 2033 for this reason, the fov was even lower at like 65 but totally absurd. The game was also totally linear and took control of your character away constantly but yeah. I've always played with fovs of 110-100 since the quake days. I just hate going any lower than 90.

I haven't played the beta so I'm not sure what the zoomed fov changes are.

Upvote 0