• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] New unreal tournament coming!?

Well I know the last UT wasn't very popular and the last real popular UT was UT2004.

It better be a PC game. There's speculation about it being a mobile game or something, but I doubt it. They might tie in mobile technology in a way similar to how the Wii mixes things up between your computer screen and that tablet controller thing, but either way, I look forward to hearing what is planned.

I miss my Flack Cannon and UT is what got me into RO in the first place.

Damit, now I want to load up UT2004 again.... but I don't know if I can bother with the several CD's to install.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind modders will be charged. $19 a month; you can cancel although you will not get updates. Sadly Ground Branch is bound by the same issues and they can not ship an editor without someone paying the $19 subscription. Although Epic does offer a package where they might be able to do it, it might cost them a lot.

For UT Epic is not going to give the editor for free as they plan to make up the costs of the game via subscriptions and royalty fees.

Cryengine 3 may go this route to... I would hope not though. The days of free modding seem to be coming to an end.:(

Upvote 0
Keep in mind modders will be charged. $19 a month; you can cancel although you will not get updates. Sadly Ground Branch is bound by the same issues and they can not ship an editor without someone paying the $19 subscription. Although Epic does offer a package where they might be able to do it, it might cost them a lot.

For UT Epic is not going to give the editor for free as they plan to make up the costs of the game via subscriptions and royalty fees.

Cryengine 3 may go this route to... I would hope not though. The days of free modding seem to be coming to an end.:(

It's a trade-off though, at least. Normally a company would just take all the earnings and run with it. At least now this gives modders a chance to not only make a bit of cash on the side doing what they love, but also potentially helps them go beyond simple mods and projects.

Plus everyone loves incentives.

Upvote 0
It's a trade-off though, at least. Normally a company would just take all the earnings and run with it. At least now this gives modders a chance to not only make a bit of cash on the side doing what they love, but also potentially helps them go beyond simple mods and projects.

Plus everyone loves incentives.

They could simply have kept the engine free (for non-profit projects). Or only charged money for the full, independent SDK. But now a game developer can not even ship a modding SDK with UE4 titles. Actually, they can, but they have to pay additional money to Epic. I do not see many developers paying the fees.

Take RO1/2 for example. All those custom maps over the years. On UE4 they would have had to pay $19 at least once, and possibly a couple of ties to keep up to date. I have a feeling some of those maps might never have been started had they been charged up front.

All that being said, $19 per person is not bad at all for a small development team. I just think it is a horrible development for modding.

Upvote 0
-Open Source
-Free
-Mod marketplace
-Forum/community interaction in order to see what everyone wants out of the new UT game

Epic Games is almost hitting all the right notes perfectly.

Competitive game
-free
-open source

While very nice from a players standpoint, for a competitive game i'm a bit iffy about that.

Hackers can easily look inside the game and see how to create cheats.
If you get banned you just start again with a new copy.

As much as I like community created projects, and like to see another ut. The combination of free, open source and competitive is a hell from the perspective of competitive play. I see the most beneficial part probably being the creation of a good foundation for other games to base their stuff on. And similarly for the more onslaught/campaign type regular public play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well of course with the new open source unreal engine there should be a new unreal game. but don't only expect that, I predict RO3 using this engine and we will be blown away by it. If you have seen the demos of new unreal engine its much better then any engine out right now. Hardwarewise it will use latest OpenGL if im not mistaken as well as D3D and by default use up to 10 CPU threads/cores with the Ability to use over a 100. I think we have a new standard for benchmarking here for years to come.

Upvote 0
Unreal Tournament 4 Gameplay Demo (Alpha Prototype) - YouTube

I think for me videos are enough atm, no need to install an Alpha or Beta.
UT3 was indeed different than UT2k3 and UT2k4 as you were not such a rubber ball flying through the levels. UT3 tried to tell a story, which was impressive but it was just like RO2's singleplayer: MP maps with bots ... and yes some cutscenes. :rolleyes:

What I really missed was the variety of models in UT3, there were 5 factions in total: Ronin, Iron Guard, Krall, Necris and Liandri. I wished there were more. It is actually very sad that the arch enemy the Skaarj were not included. I do hope they return in UT4.
I'd love to see the NEG as a faction in UT4.

I really liked the ability to customize your character, I hope this stays in and even gets improved.

Something that I really do hope is that dedicated servers are up and not the console port. :eek:

Upvote 0
For me at least 99 is still bar far the best, and a game i'm happy to play today.
I didn't think U3 was that bad thou in the sense that i found the feel more like the first tournament, and less like 2k3/4 which i didn't really enjoy so much.

I just hope for this they don't try to do too many game modes as has been the trend since 99 - just concentrate on a hand full of good ones.
I dunno, DM TDM maybe DOM, CTF and a kind of assault/objective mode, phaps with simultaneous attack+defend. (I guess vehicles are inevitable so the last 2 modes could optionally feature them)

But like i say , i think they should keep it simple to get back to the popular pure competitive style. The extra work they save should go back into maps IMO.

Upvote 0