• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Played on a few servers with these new weapon sounds on. Just wondering what you guys think of them and if they are realistic to the way the weapons sound in real life or not. I don't own any guns so hard for me to judge. I like the nade explosions, they sound great.

This has been discussed a lot in some of the other areas of the forums, but those areas are sort of specialized and often the general players doesn't read them.
In my opinion however the new sounds I"ve been hearing are terrible. The gun sounds are way off and sound quite amateur. The stock gun sounds are a lot better, and a LOT more true to reality when it comes to comparing the game to real sounds the guns make. Some of the new gun sounds, like the MP40 on one sound mod are like bb guns firing too fast.

As for the grenade sound, to me it sounds like a boulder hitting a gravel pile, and nothing at all like an explosion. When you hear an explosion, you hear a concussion, not a SPLITCH sound.

Some maps have "new" background explosions/arty (Smolensk Stalemate in particular). This is by far the worst yet of all the new sounds. It is clearly a recording of someone banging on a 45 gallon drum or aluminum sheet and a smaller, gascan or large coffee tin. Again, the stock sounds are much better.

I think what happens is someone creates or transfers over from another source some sounds they personally like and having a personal investment in them they think they are good. There is NOTHING wrong with the stock sounds, in fact I think Tripwire has done a fantastic job with the quality of the sounds. All these sound mods are just a backwards detriment to realism and immersion.

Upvote 0
Here is the thread on the sound mutator:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15366

To my knowledge all of them are ripped sounds from other games, mainly CoD2. These would all be under copyright protection, although I guess that doesn't matter to a lot of people. Most (if not all) do not have properly changed sounds for the distances either. According to people who have fired these weapons most are not accurate at all (although I'm not one of those people so I don't really know).

The MP40 is probably the worst one of the bunch but don't judge until you hear the STG44. :rolleyes: I also hate how the rate of fire is higher/lower for a lot of weapons (especially MP40) so you think you're shooting off a ton of bullets when really the weapons fire just as fast as before the new sounds. Very annoying at times.

Some maps have "new" background explosions/arty (Smolensk Stalemate in particular). This is by far the worst yet of all the new sounds. It is clearly a recording of someone banging on a 45 gallon drum or aluminum sheet and a smaller, gascan or large coffee tin. Again, the stock sounds are much better.

Actually those background sounds are stock sounds used in that map, although the pitch or other settings may have been changed by the mapper. Just to be clear this sound mutator in questions does not change anything other than the weapon sounds.

Upvote 0
This has been discussed a lot in some of the other areas of the forums, but those areas are sort of specialized and often the general players doesn't read them.
In my opinion however the new sounds I"ve been hearing are terrible. The gun sounds are way off and sound quite amateur. The stock gun sounds are a lot better, and a LOT more true to reality when it comes to comparing the game to real sounds the guns make. Some of the new gun sounds, like the MP40 on one sound mod are like bb guns firing too fast.

As for the grenade sound, to me it sounds like a boulder hitting a gravel pile, and nothing at all like an explosion. When you hear an explosion, you hear a concussion, not a SPLITCH sound.

I think what happens is someone creates or transfers over from another source some sounds they personally like and having a personal investment in them they think they are good. There is NOTHING wrong with the stock sounds, in fact I think Tripwire has done a fantastic job with the quality of the sounds. All these sound mods are just a backwards detriment to realism and immersion.

no!!!that new sound is just amazing,whats wrong with you:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Played on a few servers with these new weapon sounds on. Just wondering what you guys think of them and if they are realistic to the way the weapons sound in real life or not. I don't own any guns so hard for me to judge. I like the nade explosions, they sound great.

If I say I don't like them, it is an understatement....

Upvote 0