• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Netcode ready for planes?

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Hello,

as we all know RO:O had an incredibly stable netcode allowing for smooth matches even with pings up to 200+. Also there have been absolutely huge maps that could've easily featured planes(with semi-realistic flight speeds). Now I suppose TWI will extend or atleast maintain this on UE3. So wouldn't it theoretically be possible to mod planes in? If such huge maps are still possible while keeping everything fluid then it shouldn't be so much of a problem, right? Also this is not a discussion whether it would fit in/be realistic, but as to whether it would be possible form a technical point of view.

I think that modders will certainly implement flight controls in mods. There's no question about that. I just don't think TWI wanted to make a game with flight in it, rather focusing on inf and tank combat, with off-map air and artillery support, increasing the need for skilled commanders and squad leaders - teamwork.

Upvote 0
The planes would be so unrealistic and out of pace it wouldn't fit into the game. You'd have somewhat realistic tanks and infantry and then BF2 style planes... on tiny maps with extreme altitude restrictions. Constantly flying around in circles in a tiny boxed in map is no fun.

You would also have to create dedicated anti aircraft units. Portable MGs and tanks do have a limited ability to shoot down planes, but to properly balance out the aircraft you would need some dedicated anti aircraft weapons.

As for RO1 netcode, I find a ping over 150 to be unplayable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
why not you hear plane sounds on the ro maps all the time. I had a friend that just started playing and he kept thinking we were going to get strafed because of all the plane sounds

That doesn't address any of the restrictions that exist with putting planes into red orchestra. Putting IL-2 style planes would be the only way to make it work, and even then, planes were based miles away from combat, and flew at altitudes that would break the game. RO2 is not a battlefield game, it won't fit.

Reactions: GossamerSolid
Upvote 0
There was a realism mod for CoD:ww that included planes for strafing runs. They worked really well as the player controlled commander had to call in the path and relay it to a player controlled radioman who then had to confirm it. They were not overly accurate so they could do damage but player could still survive.

Something like this could be interesting in RO2 but the modders would have their work cut out for them.

Link to Brothers Realism mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brothers-realism-mod

Upvote 0
The planes would be so unrealistic and out of pace it wouldn't fit into the game. You'd have somewhat realistic tanks and infantry and then BF2 style planes... on tiny maps with extreme altitude restrictions. Constantly flying around in circles in a tiny boxed in map is no fun.

You would also have to create dedicated anti aircraft units. Portable MGs and tanks do have a limited ability to shoot down planes, but to properly balance out the aircraft you would need some dedicated anti aircraft weapons.

As for RO1 netcode, I find a ping over 150 to be unplayable.

Some of the RO1 tank maps were far larger than BF2's maps with planes. And I can't help but think maybe you're thinking in terms of UE2004 with the height restrictions - you can make a map pretty darn tall in UDK!

Chuck in a few Flak 88, and maybe some other kind of AA, and I reckon it could work (with quite some effort, mind,)

Upvote 0
Some of the RO1 tank maps were far larger than BF2's maps with planes. And I can't help but think maybe you're thinking in terms of UE2004 with the height restrictions - you can make a map pretty darn tall in UDK!

Chuck in a few Flak 88, and maybe some other kind of AA, and I reckon it could work (with quite some effort, mind,)
Thing is, airfields would be way too close to each other - maps would have to be ridiculously large to have any basis in reality.

Of course; you could skip the whole airfield idea and have planes spawn in mid-air. But this causes a bunch of other problems; running out of ammo and space to maneuver. You'd fly over the battlefield in a matter of seconds. Unless you make huge maps. But here comes the problem of detail and performance. Maps in RO are based on hiding and occlusion: you're never able to see the whole map at once. This wouldn't work if you're high in the air. Besides; huge maps are lousy infantry maps. It would be nearly impossible to combine both air combat and the high-pace infantry combat we already have. And where would you restock ammo when you run out? And how exactly would spawning work? And so many other things.

Besides - as someone mentioned; RO's main call sign is it's meticulous detail and realism. TWI wouldn't settle for anything less than a flight-sim the likes of IL-2 Sturmovik. The amount of work needed does not nearly weigh up to the rewards. Unless they cut corners and make in an arcadey thing. Which I think they would refuse.

There's simply too many technical issues, things to be considered, solved and work to be done for this idea to be realistic. The whole game design would need a complete overhaul. They're making a realistic ground-based fighting game here, there's no room for a flight-sim. Not in many, many years at least.

But the thought of one day possibly having a game with all this detail in it is mind-bogglingly awesome, I'll give you that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0