• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nearly the end of March

Sounds awesome!
Will rifleman be able to shoot through a single layer of brick? I always thought it would be cool to have the MG guy reloading behind some bricks - And have say 5 rifleman simultaneously put out a volley of rounds through those bricks and kill him.

Anyway I am really looking forward to this game,will be all day entertainment :)

Well machine guns fire rifle ammo, so penetrating a single layer of bricks might be doable. The advantage of the MG is you can "disintegrate" parts of the wall (dunno about in game) and spray the general area where someone might be.

Upvote 0
Well machine guns fire rifle ammo, so penetrating a single layer of bricks might be doable. The advantage of the MG is you can "disintegrate" parts of the wall (dunno about in game) and spray the general area where someone might be.

iirc that would not happen because you would need to calculate the area being hit and the number of times hit.
Also the only bullet effects we have seen are just "hole" textures.

Anyway if a bullet can go through something will it always or will sometimes not go through? So maybe a 5 round burst would still only have 2 shots go through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice post.

I like the sound of the training missions! It would be sweet if it was handled in a historically interesting way, similar to the method that CoD2 used, where you were training as a recruit just outside of Moscow.

And stop working on other projects! We want RO2 NAO damnit!

Next topic: The level of NAO the community has and the level of NAO the developers have! :IS2:

Upvote 0
Will bullet penetrations produce spall? This seems like a pretty important aspect of bullet penetration regarding the lethality of shooting someone behind cover.

As already discussed before, if shot with a rifle round, fragments of a wall don't have enough kinetic energy to cause any serious wound. Unless they hit your eyes of course.

Upvote 0
So have you gents started estimating what sort of toll all these calculations will have on hardware? I imagine all the stuff like bullet penetration will be calculated server-side, any ideas on what sort of punch will be delivered to the netcode? I mean, TWI games have some of the best netcode I've ever seen, it's literally a case of simply leading your target a little bit more for every continent between you and the other player, I'd honestly much rather you guys sacrifice what at this point seem to be pedantic overkill in favour of smooth gameplay, rather than vice versa.

Unlike the apparent majority of RO fans I've never actually shot a tank before, having gameplay physics that aren't spot on won't kill immersion for me in the heat of battle, stuttering and lag compensation will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor Makhno
Upvote 0
So have you gents started estimating what sort of toll all these calculations will have on hardware? I imagine all the stuff like bullet penetration will be calculated server-side, any ideas on what sort of punch will be delivered to the netcode?

By far the biggest bottle neck with online gaming is the latency / lag. The added calculations with penetration won't affect latency, as it doesn't really add much if anything to the packet being sent to you. Server will still tell your client machine that you are hit and where. Not much more data there.

The only thing would be the amount of calculations done by the server. With new multi-core computers being substantially faster than the 2003 computers UT 2.x was designed for, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to handle those extra calcs. Otherwise, you'd see it in the gameplay footage.

As already discussed before, if shot with a rifle round, fragments of a wall don't have enough kinetic energy to cause any serious wound. Unless they hit your eyes of course.

To quote Dwight Schrute, "The eyes are the groin of the face."

Upvote 0
Hello all - RS updates will be along in their own good time. We have gradually decided against putting out updates (meaning screenies) for updates' sake.

If there is a good reason to put out screenies, something that will bring more potential players to the game... like coverage in a magazine/major games site, then we will, otherwise I don't want to skew our workload providing eye candy when we could be making real candy ;)

Sorry, for those of you who are getting impatient, but that's the way it is. HoS is a huge project, a mod of HoS is a huge project, too and we don't have the manpower to provide specially posed screens etc. at the moment.

Upvote 0
talk about some art assets, like the various soldiers models and the research that went into it.

gameplay and sound are boring subjects imo

also what the hell?:
Hopefully they have characters your character is friends with in your squad/platoon, or some sort of way you'd feel really bad when an AI partner dies...

this must be some kind of joke. emo simulation?

Upvote 0